Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There seems to be a new version of the DCT6412 that comes with a HDMI connection. :cool: Some AVS forum members have posted pictures of these new boxs, Some cable companies in the states are now selling them. I wonder when shaw will start selling them?
Oh and they also come with SATA support, I guess for hooking up a second hard drive.
Link to the pictures

·
Registered
491 Posts
egore said:
There seems to be a new version of the DCT6412 that comes with a HDMI connection. :cool:
I don't understand what the big deal about the HDMI connector is. I guess if you want to use the speakers on your TV it saves a couple of connectors.

·
Registered
101 Posts
will the SATA even be active? The HDMI will, for sure.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't understand what the big deal about the HDMI connector is. I guess if you want to use the speakers on your TV it saves a couple of connectors.
HDMI supports up to 12 bit YCbCr in 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 (4:4:4 might be limited to 8 bit), RGB supports only 8 bit per component. 10 bit or 12 bit per component will give you smoother colour gradients than 8 bit can which results in allot less banding.

·
Registered
491 Posts
egore said:
HDMI supports up to 12 bit YCbCr in 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 (4:4:4 might be limited to 8 bit), RGB supports only 8 bit per component. 10 bit or 12 bit per component will give you smoother colour gradients than 8 bit can which results in allot less banding.
All video is 8-bit at the moment so there is no difference. Some devices use 10-bit for control, but the video is still only 8-bit.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Won't the HDMI be necessary to enforce broadcast flag restrictions plus whaterver DRM the cable company wishes to impose?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Michael DeAbreu said:
Won't the HDMI be necessary to enforce broadcast flag restrictions plus whaterver DRM the cable company wishes to impose?
I believe they have HDCP on DVI as well as HDMI. But you are generally correct - no DRM on analog connections (component, s-video, composite).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts