Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
may i start by asking one of the fine mods in here to remove a post i made identical to this one in rants and complaints please? i do not want to take advantage of double posting. thank you.
I am in deep doodoo with my wife now. surprised her by buying 2 of these 630s for our vacation home for about $900 bucks including taxes. got down here and now one is already apparently brain dead as it started rebooting pretty often and finally rebooted while we were watching tv and went in to an endless reboot sequence. will not break out of it for anything. so back watching our old 205. now our other 630 has started rebooting too. we are careful not to push buttons quickly, do not use favorites or anything else fancy. just record and or watch tv is all. got a bunch of christmas movies i cannot even watch now on the dead 630 and we are clear down here in mexico. gonna be a long winter listening to my wife complaining about the "surprise". in my opinion, SD should be able to repair a locked unit over the net since they have an ethernet slot on the unit. simply plug unit into the net and let them redo it. i think SD has pulled a real Microsoft on releasing a product way too early before working the bugs out and presenting a reliable product to the public. so much for my rant i guess.:confused:

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I personally don't think this is Shaw Direct's fault. Do you have the same shape dish and LNBs on your Mexican dish as you do on your Canadian dish? Round or oval dish, quad lnb is best. If NO then you will have the wrong "v-code". Do you have 4 seperate lines directly from the dish going to these 2 630s? If NO, you CANNOT split the cable runs or run the 630s with one cable each. The dead 630 is probably not dead at all. It just needs a factory reset and a rehit from the SD website.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for your reply. i have the same lnbs on my dishes as i always have had. the two leads i have coming from each lnb goes directly in to my zinwell 4 in 8 out. i have two independent coaxs coming from this switch going into each 630. i had this set up on my 530 down here for a couple years with no problems at all. my biggest mistake at the monet is i sold my 530 when i replaced it. as far as a factory rest goes. i would love to be able to get the receiver to boot up that far. it starts it's boot sequence and just keeps looping through it. it will not go past that point. it seems locked in that cycle.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Why don't you just call SD? Sine this is a vacation setting, one would assume that you are on the Home away from Home plan so what prevents you from calling SD to troubleshoot your problem? They are usually very successful in resolving the problem while on the phone. If it's determined to be the unit, they ship you a new one.

On a lighter note, since you are in Mexico, I really don't have any sympathy for you. If it were me, I would just sit on the beach, listen to the ocean and watch the stars.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hahaha, i really like your attitude my friend. that brought a real smile to my face. thank you for the great response. my problem is, if i were to try and call SD, i do not have any of my subscription info and i am afraid they might shut me down. my wife would turn in to a widow pretty darn quick if that happened. you have not lived until you have watched an evening of mexican cable. i will try and figure out something somehow. thank you again my friend.:p

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
They will not shut you down if you are a legitimate subscriber. Me smells some fish. Don't have subscriber info? C'mon, all you need is your name and phone number. The only problem I see is if you have had too many tequilas, you might not have either of those handy.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Are you using a broker that's why you don't have your subscription info? I'm in North Texas and have called SD a few times. At first I was using caller ID block but I later realized it was futile. They will not shut you down unless you blatently tell them "I live in the USA/Mexico permanently". Even then I'm not sure.

If you are using a broker, use a friend or relative in Canada instead. Cheaper then you can make your calls.

If you are account stacking, well that's wrong and it might be karma biting you in the butt :)

·
Registered
436 Posts
reallyoldnewbie - have a look at your signal levels for both tuners. I found with my 630 that even though I thought I had a good strong signal coming in (Mid 70's, db's in the 5 to 6 range) I experienced pixalation and spontanous reboots to the point it was not useable. Using the logic that my 530 worked fine with the same signal strength I suffered through about 3 weeks till I called SD and they insisted on a service call. The first thing the service person did was to replace the LNB, the outside connectors and he peaked the dish which brought the signal level up to the 90's with the dbs in the 9 to 10 range. Since that day 3 weeks ago I have had 0 problems with pixalation and reboots. It is unfortunate that these receivers seem to require a need perfect signal level and if they don't get it they reset all the time. I'm not sure how strong the signal footprint is in Mexico but I'm wondering if low signal levels are part of your problem. I realize that SD cannot sent a service person to you however I would suggest that if you have a look at the levels and do what you can to improve your setup. BTW for the 630 caught in the boot cycle did you try unplugging for about 10 minutes and then trying again? Sometimes a long power down will break the cycle. Good luck.

·
Registered
436 Posts
kcowan - I was responding to reallyoldnewbie. Are you involved with his setup? If you are did not read this in my post?

"Using the logic that my 530 worked fine with the same signal strength I suffered through about 3 weeks till I called SD and they insisted on a service call."

Signal levels in the 50's to 80's will not cut it for the 630. In addition it is the db readings which really need to be pushed up as well. Mine were in the 5 to 6 range and after my work on the dish setup these went up to 9 - 10 range on all channels. Since then (3 weeks now) I have had zero reboots, pixalation or freeze ups and my unit is used heavily. It is unfortunate that these units require a stronger signal because all previous SD receivers worked fine with signal levels in the 60 to 70 range. Some at SD tech support are still not aware of this because when I first phoned in and told them what my old signal levels were the CSR said they were fine. After her suggestions made no difference I got a different CSR a few days later who zero'ed in on my low db levels on several channels and he insisted that my setup needed to be fixed up for max signal levels.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts