Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a new sub gets a 6120 system installed:
1-Does the 6100 have all the updates currently on it or do you have to "get the upgrades" activated from the website?
2-When the install is completed do you get programming immediately or is there a wait time to activate the subscription?
3-Will the HD and/or SD signal degrade if you use component cable switching through a stereo receiver or should you connect the component cable directly from the 6100 to the projector?
Anything else that I need to be aware of to optimize performance?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,896 Posts
1) The first thing it will do is download any updates it needs.
2) In theory, you should be able to get them to activate it within minutes. Your milage may vary.
3) You will get different opinions on this one. Myself, I always say the path of least resistance is best. Now, if you need the component video switching abilities of your receiver, you might want to run it. But if your DVD player is not progressive scan, I would use S-video for DVD and component for Expressvu.

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
pasab said:
If a new sub gets a 6120 system installed:
3-Will the HD and/or SD signal degrade if you use component cable switching through a stereo receiver or should you connect the component cable directly from the 6100 to the projector?
Anything else that I need to be aware of to optimize performance?
Thanks
As the other two have been answered, I can tell you that I have my 6100 going from component to the Reciever and from the reciever to my projector. The projector sends the image to a 105" screen and must tell you that when the Hi-Def signal is high quality, the picture seen if phenomenal.

So I can tell you that putting the signal though you reciever will not be a problem.

Alt

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm in Kuujjuaq Qc, just received y 6120.. a friend brought it up for me. I know that the dish is too small. The one that come with the package bundle is about 18inches i think.

Can I use a reluglar dish with this? I mean an older on? will that work. Also how come I have 2 LMB's?

Spoke to a guiy here.. he said that I need to run 2 differnet dishe's.. one for the HD chanels and one for hte regular chanels?

doing the installation myself.. kinda scratching my head going.. uummm??? I have had bell / and other satelite's down in ottawa.. but its a little different with teh HD.. any help would be greatly apreciated.

·
Registered
620 Posts
The dish you got with the two LNB's is for the two satellites and should be 20". If this doesn' give good reception or you have trouble setting it up you can use two satellite dishes, I do. I use the biggest dish aimed at 82 as it gives the weakest signal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
How come you need to point at 2 differet satelites. is that jsut because of the HD or is that common?... sorry a little new to the HD scene

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
The HD channels broadcast from the satellite in the 82 position and the regular channels broadcast from the 91. Keep reading up on the forum I was new to Sat as well and a lot of good info here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Y splitter of LMB on diff dish

As Interceptor posted.. i got the 20 inch dish.. can i take the Y splitter of the LMB's and put it on an arm of a 24 inch dish? will that work or do I need a new dish to run this.. my problem i am encountering is that I need a bigger dish thatn the 20..im up in Norhtern Quebec.. Kuujjuaq..

any tips.. or is that even possible to do?... by the looks of it.. it cna fit.. but will that effect the reception.. or angle's.. since hte Y splitter isn't meant for that dish?/

thnx guys / gals..

Paul

·
Registered
225 Posts
You can use a bigger dish if you want and use the dual lnb (Y connection) to mount the two lnbs that were provided for receiving both satellites. You just have to aim the dish properly to pick up the satellite signals. Since you live that far north I think you need to use the 24" dish anyway.

John

·
Registered
620 Posts
I don't think the Y connection will work on the 24" as it will move the LNBs farther away from the dish. Also you won't be able to dial in the dish properly as I believe, the two satellites are at different elevations. If you can, I would suggest you try aiming the 20" dish at satellite 91. This is the satellite your 24" is currently aiming at. Re-aim your 24" at the HD satellite 82 and hope for the best.

I would suggest you buy another 24" or better a 30". That's what I use for 82.
Also you can phone Bell and complain the 20" isn't big enough where you live and see if they will ship you a bigger dish. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Card with 6120??

I know that BEV used to have cards with their receivers, I bought the 6120 package.. and i don't seem to have the card.. it doesn't look like it was in teh box. im a new client so it s a new activation..do they send me when i activate it or should it be in the box?>>>

·
Registered
544 Posts
buckweed said:
I know that BEV used to have cards with their receivers, I bought the 6120 package.. and i don't seem to have the card.. it doesn't look like it was in teh box. im a new client so it s a new activation..do they send me when i activate it or should it be in the box?>>>
No card required for the 6100 receiver.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts