Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Toshiba RD-XS32 DVR to record programs.
But i cannot get it to work with the 6100 to record or get the remote to control it so i can use it as a vcr
Does anyone have the same setup and got it to work ?
Seems like a PITA to have to set the 6100 to switch channels and then program
the dvr to record at the same time. I was hoping to use the built-in feature so the 6100 would turn on the DVR and record things................. but not having any luck

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well after doing a lot of searching and reading it appears that the toshiba xs32 dvr uses some sort of weird IR remote and there are NO codes to get it to work in harmony with the IR blaster feature of the 6100............. to me this was a very nice feature to have and made recording various shows very simple.......... but alas it does not work with this DVR.
Are there any other similarly featured dvrs that people are using with the 6100 that actually work ???????? if there are then i may have to return this thing
and get something that works

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have a 6100 and am using with a Pioneer Elite 65 HS DVD-Recorder .

It has an input on the rear that is designed to fire up the recorder when it senses the signal being sent into the unit, when you choose this as an option in the set up of the Pioneer unit.

The problem is, (unless this has been rectified lately) that when you have a timer set into the 6100, when the 6100 fires up, you don't get any a/v output from the 6100 and you only end up with an hour of silent blackness being recorded (I missed a couple of NYPD Blue shows this season due to this).

I asked Pioneer about this and apparently it's a 'known issue' with the 6100, so when I want to record a show, I have to ensure that A) the 6100 is switched on and B) that it's tuned to the right station.

I don't know if there is a 'solution' to your issue as it seems to be based on a fault in the operation of the EVU set top box..... other than switching back to cable.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When selecting a show to record in the guide, it gives 3 options
VCR
auto tune
reminder

Selecting VCR:
If its configured properly with the DVD recorder, the 6100 should tune to that channel and the IR blaster should send the signal to the DVR to start recording, then stop recording once the show is over.
This is what i want to do but there are no codes that work with the Toshiba unit so the IR blaster will not control it. If I have to leave the 6100 turned on for this to work, thats fine. Currently with the Toshiba is does not work at all.
At this point my only solution is to take the thing back and try a different one.
I have seen a Sony and a Pioneer is similar price range

·
Registered
234 Posts
audiofool: I have a Poineer DVR-320-S which also detects input to turn on automatically, but my 3100 seems to always send signal, even when turned off (but not unpulged). Did you experience this or is the 6100 model different??

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Timer Recording on a Toshiba RD-XS32 from a BEV 6100

Loctitez1000 said:
I bought a Toshiba RD-XS32 DVR to record programs.
But i cannot get it to work with the 6100 to record or get the remote to control it so i can use it as a vcr Does anyone have the same setup and got it to work ?
Timer Recording on a Toshiba RD-XS32 from a BEV 6100

This is long and I've been editing it online, so you probably want to print it out if it looks like I haven't updated it in awhile. I assume it will work on similar Toshiba HDD DVRs, but I'd like to hear from someone to confirm or correct that.

Two warnings:

1) forget about BEV's VCR recording function and use the Toshiba's recording function instead
2) The RD-X32's Japanenglish manuals are about as inscrutible as Kabuki theatre :confused: so you will probably have to do some menu crawling on your own just to figure some things out.

(See * notes if you use a separate audio amplifier from your TV)

Initial Setup

Run the Satellite cable into the 6100.
Run the 6100's DVI or Component Out to an input on your TV at 1080i or 720p, depending on which your TV displays best.
* Run the 6100's Optical Digital Audio into an audio amplifier input.
Run the 6100's S-Video Out and Analogue Audio output cables into the Toshiba.
Run the Toshiba's Component Out into a second input on our TV.
* Run the Toshiba's Digital or Analogue Audio into another audio amplifier input, depending on what the amplifier allows. Digital is much better.
Run the Toshiba's IR Blaster cord from the Toshiba to the front-right of the face plate on the 6100 and maybe tape it there so that the IR emitter fires right into the 6100's IR eye.
Power on the TV, the 6100, and the Toshiba.
Tune the TV to the 6100's input and verify that the BEV remote control is working just fine.
Tune the 6100 to an HD channel to verify correct HD operation.
Tune the 6100 to one of the 900-series music channels so that the screen is mostly black.
Tune the TV to the Toshiba's input and put aside the 6100's remote control.
On the Toshiba's remote control flip the lower cover open and press the SETUP button to get to the on-screen menus.
Go to the Initial Settings menu and scroll down to Set Top Box setting and set it to DBS with the correct Line In that is the S-Video from the 6100.
Set IR Control to ON.
Set the Brand Type to the 1-0-0 code number (for Echostar, the old name for the company that built the 6100).
Somewhere in those menus set the Toshiba to output Progressive Scan SD at 480p (it will upconvert and store the 480i from the 6100's S-Video output to 480p).
Press the SETUP button again to exit the on-screen menus.
With the Toshiba remote control's lower cover still open key in 200 quickly on the number pad and watch the TV screen. Did the 6100 just tune itself to channel 200? It should have.
Also try 806 and some others just to verify.

Timer Recording

Do not use the BEV 6100 method.
On the Toshiba's remote, press the round blue REC MENU button to get to the Timer Programming screen.
On the first input line the CH (channel) field will be highlighted.
Press the ENTER button and then enter the channel you wish to record, then fill in all the other settings for that program onto that line.
Go ahead, try running a 2 minute test.
If it worked, go back into Timer Programming and run 3 of those 2 minute tests in a row, from different channels.
After they've been recorded, press the round blue CONTENT MENU button and you'll see the 3 short recordings there.

Final Notes

If all of this worked, the rest is just a matter of personalizing your settings on the Toshiba.
Remember, to watch HD in real time you must view the 6100 directly on the TV's 6100 input using the BEV remote control.
To watch recorded programs (which will be in SD) you must tune to the Toshiba's input and use the Toshiba's remote control.
* Also remember to change the audio amplifier input to the 6100 or the Toshiba, depending on which one you're viewing.

Using a combination of display settings on the 6100, the Toshiba, and on my Sony TV I am able to record HD shows that originate in 1080i 16:9 or 720p 16:9 and have them stored for later watching or DVD burning in 480p 16:9 with Dolby Digital 2.0 audio. Not quite an HD DVR but close enough for now.

cheers,
stampeder (who hopes there's not something critical that he forgot!)

·
Registered
505 Posts
dsslearn said:
audiofool: I have a Poineer DVR-320-S which also detects input to turn on automatically, but my 3100 seems to always send signal, even when turned off (but not unpulged). Did you experience this or is the 6100 model different??
To be honest, I haven't tried using the timer function on my 6100 to record since I had the problems recording NYPD Blue on vhs, since I just ended up with an hour of nothing on a couple of occasions.

The Pioneer rep told me before I even tried that they know the auto-sense feature doesn't work with the 6100. Not so much because of the constant signal issue that you mention, but because there's a flaw in the firmware of the6100 that prevents the audio and video from being output when it switches on from a timer setting... which for me, makes this a pretty freakin' useless feature. So I have to ensure that unless I;m going to be available to change the channel on the 6100, I have to pick and choose what I'm going to record that night (not that there's much to choose from these days anyway, but I digress....)

If your set top 3100 is powered off, there should not be any signal being fed out of it, AFAIK.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the detailed reply.......
I have everything setup pretty much as you suggested, I added the second optical cable today and everything is working fine. I will give up on the idea of using the 6100 to set the recording and use the Tosh DVR. I have that setup and working perfectly, it changes channels on the 6100 just fine.
Im enjoying the timeslip feature and have been experimenting with the various features............. nice DVR !
I picked up a pack of Sony DVD-RW's and they work fine so im all set.
Im going to play with the editing features now and see how it works, looks a little complicated in the manual compared to doing it on a computer but i will take a look.
So im happy with the Tosh DVR now and will be keeping it

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Started experimenting authoring DVD's editing, highspeed dubbing etc.......
works great, nice machine ! Does a nice job of creating menus and copying from the HDD to DVD

I also picked up a spindle of 100 Maxell DVD-R from Futureshop for $39.95
and they work great in this machine......... which i thought was a great deal.
So far i have used Sony and Maxell disks with no problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
XS-34 uses different TV Guide Setup than XS-32

I have a BEV 6000 receiver and the Toshiba XS-34 which uses a different TV Guide Setup than the XS-32. Does anyone have this working either through the 6000's timer mechanisms or with the XS-34 scheduling system?

Thanks for any help provided.

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts