Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a DSR 505 and am considering a move to the DSR 605. I currently use a homegrown PVR PC to capture video from the s-video port on the 505, but can view the same channel simultaneously on my tv via the 505's component outputs.

The s-video output for HD channels is a shrunken 16x9 image. I'm not sure how to describe it -- connect your DSR to your tv via s-video and you'll see what I mean. I use my PVR PC to fit this shrunken picture to fit my 32" 16x9 screen (low res, but it looks ok).

The 605 has no s-video port, but does have a composite video port.

My questions:
1) Does the 605 send its video signal through the composite, component, and HDMI ports simultaneously?
2) Is the composite video output on the 605 the same as the s-video output of the 505 -- the "shrunken 16x9" picture I mention above?

Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
On the 605,

There is a co-ax UHF input.

There is no co-ax output.

There is no S Video output.

The the composite, component and HDMI show the same output.

I have not tested the composite and don't know about the picture size.

John

·
Registered
15 Posts
i have a 630, which i would imagine uses some of the same components/circuits and i have simultaneously component and hdmi output

·
Registered
709 Posts
The 605 /630 Boxes send signals to all outputs all the time.

I have no clue about the composite output picture size.:confused:

·
Registered
11 Posts
The 605 has no s-video port, but does have a composite video port.

My questions:
1) Does the 605 send its video signal through the composite, component, and HDMI ports simultaneously?
2) Is the composite video output on the 605 the same as the s-video output of the 505 -- the "shrunken 16x9" picture I mention above?

Thanks!
1) The 630 does, so I'd assume the 605 does as well.

2) Again, the 630 has it like the 505 did. I'd assume the 605 works the same. BUT, the picture quality is not as good as the s-video.

I have the 505 and now a 630 ... I used the 505 to do exactly what you're doing for a year to a DVD/HDD recorder. I used the S-video out. When I got the 505 I was surpised how much better the picture was over the older SD 401, even on the 480i s-video. Still 480, but the HD made for a much higher quality source signal. By the time I got the 505 last year, my SD channels were looking like fuzzy VHS shows. Too much compression I suspect from the Sat company. My friend on Bell had the same situation. Some shows with lots of strobe lights on stage were almost unwatchable. The HD was fine. But its compressed HD. A blu-ray disk is about 40GB of data. The same film on Satellite would store about 5-7GB. About 1/4 compressed.

Anyway, now I got the 630 , only has component and no S-video. The same process still works, but the picture is degraded a fair bit. I'm going to keep the 505 to do what I used to do unless I can convert the component out into S-video.

The real solution here is for removable external HDD, so that HD can be recorded and stored. But Shaw doesn't have this feature. Bell does. Not sure about Rogers. I'm looking at options and may leave Shaw soon. They seem to be getting behind. Bill is going up, service down.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Don't do it

I guess what I'm suggesting is don't do it if you like the 505 otherwise. I'm keeping mine. It seems much better built than the 630. 1 year and no problems. 1 month of the 630 and problems already. I love progress ... one step fwd, 2 steps back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts