Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 6000 HD receiver and a Sony GWIII (42WE610).

I have the HD receiver feeding the TV a 1080i signal.

I notice that most other TV stations broadcast in 720p, other than CBS.

So, is it better to feed the TV 1080i, or 720p...neither of course are the TV's native resolution (788p), but that of course is impossible to achieve.
 

·
OTA Forum Moderator
Joined
·
24,867 Posts
JoeFigueiredo said:
I have the 6000 HD receiver and a Sony GWIII (42WE610).

I have the HD receiver feeding the TV a 1080i signal.

I notice that most other TV stations broadcast in 720p, other than CBS.

So, is it better to feed the TV 1080i, or 720p...neither of course are the TV's native resolution (788p), but that of course is impossible to achieve.
The last I heard only ABC and FOX were running at 720p and the others are at 1080i (am I correct anyone?). My advice is to just try both for yourself and see which you prefer. Also you might want to consider a 6100 so that you can connect them over DVI instead of component. I run a 6000 and a 6100 into a similar Sony TV and there was an immediate improvement in PQ.

cheers,
stampeder
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,081 Posts
IMHO I would think the TV scaling capabilities is probably better than the 6000, I would say leave it on 1080i. I'm pretty sure it is only Fox and ABC that uses 720p.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
56,506 Posts
See the Digital Home FAQ on HDTV formats.

We have also heard that most "720P native" TVs prefer to see an incoming 1080i signal.

As mentioned earlier, most LCD RPTVs are 768P or 788P, so they convert 720P anyway...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
stampeder said:
The last I heard only ABC and FOX were running at 720p and the others are at 1080i (am I correct anyone?). My advice is to just try both for yourself and see which you prefer. Also you might want to consider a 6100 so that you can connect them over DVI instead of component. I run a 6000 and a 6100 into a similar Sony TV and there was an immediate improvement in PQ.

cheers,
stampeder

Good idea, however the only DVI jack in the TV is currently being used by the video card in my HTPC, so I prefer to use component.

Plus, I own the 6000 so I can't trade it up easily.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Sony 42WE610 connection from Dell 9150 computer

:however the only DVI jack in the TV is currently being used by the video card in my HTPC

I have the same TV, and was wondering about connecting with the DVI from the computer. Do you have any HDCP handshake issues? And do you use PowerStrip to set a custom resolution?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
CBS and NBC (both east and west of each) send out 1080i. CTV (and its stations...tsn, disc, ctve and ctvw) send out 1080i but BEV converts it to 720p. CBc is 1080i, city is 720p and global is 1080i.

Unfortunately BEV converts most of the cdn signals to 720p. The leave the US nets cbs and nbc as 1080i.

ABC and FOX send out 720p since they broadcast a lot of sports.

The debate has raged on about whether to leave the reciever on 1080i or 720p with the Sony GW and other sets. I have the 42" version as well.

Ideally it should be set to 788p but thats not an option.

The GW converts all signals to 788p. I will sometimes switch the setting in the 6100 to see if there is a noticeable diff. And sometimes there is. Its a real pain in the ass frankly.

So there is no real answer here. I hjave been leaving mine on 1080i recently. I only switch it if iu am watching sports on abc or fox or ctv/tsn.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
511 Posts
57 said:
See the Digital Home FAQ on HDTV formats.

We have also heard that most "720P native" TVs prefer to see an incoming 1080i signal.

As mentioned earlier, most LCD RPTVs are 768P or 788P, so they convert 720P anyway...
I thought I read in another thread that BEV converts everything to 720p anyway, so my thoughts are why put the signal though one extra conversion?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
56,506 Posts
editor said:
city is 720p.
City broadcasts 1080i. For the "original" formats, see the Digital Home FAQ "HDTV Formats" (under Help). BEV may change this to 720P, and sometimes the original broadcaster, may supply 720P to BEV as indicated in several threads.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
DVI with audio

when you used DVI over component, I am wondering how you setup your audio on the tv, since DVI don't support audio?

Thanks,
Ken.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
56,506 Posts
Saytoken, for the TV, you simply connect the red/white analogue audio cables to the same input as the DVI cable.

If you have an A/V Receiver, then you connect a digital audio cable to the AVR.

See the Digital Home FAQ (under help) - "Cables & Connections".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
Anyone know the difference between 400 series 800 series or 1000 series HDMI-DVi cables.

Also, when going form a BEV 6100 to Sony Grand Wega 42", do i buy a DVI-HDMI? DVI-D to HDMI.? male or female??? DVI to DVI? HDMI to DVI?

I've also heard that most of these cables are the same and there's no reaosn to spend big bucks on Monster for instance.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanx
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
56,506 Posts
See the Digital Home FAQ (under help) - "DVI/HDMI Information".

Many people are very happy with the cables from Monoprice.com. Also, you can often buy them from a local computer store for about $20.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Anyone know the difference between 400 series 800 series or 1000 series HDMI-DVi cables.
Price, I would say.

I like the Rocket Fish cables from Future Shop. The Acoustic Research cables are decent too. I don't see the difference in Picture and audio quality being worth double and triple the $$$. If you know someone who works at Future Shop, they get the Rocket Fish (future shop brand) for $5-$12 depending on the length and cable type. Mark up is like 800%+
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top