Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Carleton Place and Almonte are showing as 860 systems and they are further away than Manotick.

·
Registered
35 Posts
For those wondering for all Ontario, here the market that seems to still be at 600MHz

GRAND RIVER: Grand River (Rural).
LONDON: Belmont, Delaware.
MIDLAND/OWEN SOUND: Collingwood (Rural), Midland, Owen Sound, Penetanguishene, Wasaga Beach.
NEWMARKET: Holland Landing, Holt, Mount Albert, Sharon.
OTTAWA: Greely, Manotick, Metcalfe, Navan.
ST. THOMAS: Port Stanley, St. Thomas (Rural).
TILLSONBURG: Tillsonburg.
WOODSTOCK: Beachville, Woodstock (Rural).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Contrary to the new lineup listings, Ottawa-Cumberland remains 600MHz with no date for an upgrade according to multiple CSRs.

We're appear to be stuck with our 4 HD feeds (TSN, SNET, ABC and CBS).

Interestingly, there is an HDTMP (270) that appeared for the Super Bowl and carried Global HD for a couple of weeks that is now wasted with a test pattern. With some help I'd like to lobby Rogers to at least put Global HD back and use the bandwidth.

Anyone have any contacts in the Rogers Planning department?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Manotick Upgrade

I'm in Manotick too.

My 8300HD gets some use, but not nearly what it should with only 4 HD channels. Picked up the Samsung 5085W a couple of weeks ago. Great looking set with HD and even digital SD, but analog looks bad. I'd settle for all digital channels at this point.

The last CSR I talked to in Jan. mentioned that the neighbourhood was scheduled for some upgrades this summer, however they could not provide assurances that a bandwidth upgrade was part of the upgrade.

I noticed the test pattern, but wasn't sure of Roger's intentions. I haven't studied the new line-up in great detail, so I'm not sure what happens to the 5th channel on March 31st.

Also have High Speed Extreme.

I'm holding out on VOIP until they upgrade our neighbourhood. I'm happy with Rogers, although I'd be a lot happier with 860MHz.

·
Registered
22 Posts
rural Ottawa comment

Just a quick note that areas that were upgraded last year in rural Ottawa are 860mhz, while those that were upgraded in 2003 are still 600mhz.
The 860mhz areas are: Carleton Place, Almonte, Carp, Munster, Richmond, Vars, Carlsbad Springs, Osgoode, Kars, Russell and Embrun. They were formerly 550Mhz one-way areas and were upgraded to 860mhz two-way this past summer.

We now have the same services as urban Ottawa. My house is in eastern rural Ottawa in the 860 Mhz zone.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I spoke with the "cable guy" and said Rogers Ottawa submitted their proposed upgrade costs to Rogers "Head Office" for approval.

So, pending approval, work cannot start.

That is where we are at.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
For 600MHz Rogers customers

Its funny that the NO duplicate mapping of analog channels ie. Sportsnet, CNN, etc.. don't re-appear elsewhere in the NEW theme digital channel positioning.

Couldn't they re-map the analog # (TSN:30) to another analog re-map # (TSN:407)

They only re-mapped digital #s.

I guess Rogers can't spare ANY bandwidth in the 600MHz areas.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Why Not Cumberland?

So, it looks like Cumberland is still screwed. Clearly, Rogers has confused Orleans with Cumberland in their upgrade list.

I returned my HD box in December in protest. I will wait for the 860 Mhz upgrade before going the HD route again.

Boy, at the risk of starting a flame, why upgrade places like Vars and Carlsbad Springs, and not Navan or Cumberland?

Way to go Rogers!

·
Registered
22 Posts
impeyr,

The rural upgrade was part of a city-wide upgrade that changed these areas from 550MHZ one-way to full two-way 860 Mhz. It was a business decision by Rogers that affected all rural subcribers that could not access two-way services such as high speed Internet. Now, everyone that can receive Rogers can have high speed Internet. Please note that Carlsbad Springs and Vars are on the same fiber link as Embrun and Russell area. Those areas combine have a larger population than Navan and Cumberland combine. All this info above was in the paper last fall. A great decision as they can now service all Ottawa and the rurals with two-way services. By the way Carlsbad Springs (sections of) and Vars are in Cumberland!!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No upgrade in sight

E-mail again to CSR and again no end in sight.

Rural Ottawa is stuck in 600Mhz until Rogers needs more money from us.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Less money from me

homer_j said:
E-mail again to CSR and again no end in sight.

Rural Ottawa is stuck in 600Mhz until Rogers needs more money from us.
I got tired of waiting and switched over to *SC last month, most notable was:

Not as much HD as I would like, but mucho better than the limited selection provided with the Rogers 600mhz service, an exessive amount of timeshifting, a slightly smaller monthly bill, overall much better quality of standard channels, great customer service!!! On the downside I have lost reception a few times due to major storms.

I stuck with my Rogers Extreme Internet and was informed that they wouldn't be charging the $10.00 extra fee for having no cable TV.

I'm not sure I would go back to Rogers even if they upgrade my area to 860Mhz, the overall quality of all the non-HD channels is so much better, great customer service, and hopefully *SC will be adding more HD content this fall.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Any News about Cumberland and Navan Upgrade?

Since we are the only "have not" region of Ottawa, is there any change of an upgrade to 860 Mhz?

I am getting really tried of waiting, and Bell is offering some really good deals, like "free" terminals for 2 years. (including HD and PVR, but not HD-PVR).

Maybe time to switch?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Bye, Rogers

It's too late for me. I have signed up with Bell. The current promotion on the new HD PVR was just too sweet. Hope to have it installed in 10 days.

Bye, Rogers and thanks for all the fish.

·
Registered
123 Posts
For what it is worth. Mount Albert, Ontario (part of the Rural area around Newmarket, Ontario) got the 860mhz yesterday. It really is great! ROD is not yet working but since I have all the HD channels I am sure it will be here shortly.

..Tom

1 - 20 of 131 Posts