Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older motherboard with on-board sound. Here is the manual.

http://www.machspeed.com/manuals/PT88ASR1A.pdf

Despite the claim of,

6-channel audio which are based on the advanced VIA PT880/PT800 chipset
I cannot get 6 channel analog audio from the 3 audio mini-jacks. I am using the Via Vinyl Deck (Version ??) and the driver (7.00b). But strangely this is not what is showing up in the audio hardware properties version. I have enabled the Smart51 Plus feature in the Sound Manager. Is there another Sound Manager that I can use. The Sound Manager has a speaker test and I get nothing out of the center and sub.

Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
11,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I solved it out. Sort of. I installed the drivers from another manufacturer (Jetway). It uses the same motherboard and a Realtek Sound Manager. Which is what appears to be shown in the PDF link from Mach Speed. However, the Center and SUB channels seem to be mixed. Clicking on those speakers during the tests results in the exact same sound coming out of the center speaker.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Sounds like a "surround effect" ac97 chipset..they do not really do an honest 5.1 through the analogue outs. Much better to disable the onboard and get a cheapo 7.1 capable 24 bit audigy blaster for about 20 bucks used.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
It may work better with a driver directly from Realtek. AC97 chipsets don't sound very good. The newer HD audio chipsets are much better. As mentioned, a cheap 24 bit audio card will also sound much better. A Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE can be purchased for about $30 new. It's a very nice card for the price.

·
Super Moderator
11,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is what the mothboard says about the on-board sound

Integrated AC’97 CODEC audio on system supports 6-channel speaker for 3D Surround Effect which is fully compatible with Sound Blaster Pro® that gives you the best sound quality and compatibility.
I guess it is not 5.1 but some matrix like 6.0.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts