Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched these pages and the internet for a procedure to replace the 5900 hard drive. Many people have claimed to have done it, some deciding that it is relatively easy, others that it is fraught with danger. Many people suggest searching elsewhere for the information (dishmod) or mention compatibility lists or varying sectors for the drive information. Still others decide that the person asking for the information should forget about repair and go out and get the latest new dish. Is it possible for someone who has successfully changed a hard drive on the 5900 and perhaps knows where a compatibility list exists, to publish the list and full instructions once and for all in one location? Any future queries (such as my own) could simply be pointed to the proper thread. If this information already exists in one location, I am sorry, but I did not find it with the key words that I tried. I did, however, find many other threads asking similar questions.

If there is such a reply, could you include any help that you are aware of if the old hard drive is totally unreadable. If it is difficult to locate a computer with an IDE interface, are there other ways to overcome "the marriage", etc.

Thank you from the many whom this will help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hard drive replacement

I am in the same boat. I was having issues with my hard drive so I removed it and formatted it in my pc. It works just fine. I then removed the file system and put back in the PVR but I get a 0471c error. Tried resetting according to the forum and still get nowhere. Bell wantsd $150 + to "repair" the system. I don't think there is really anything wrong with it, they just want to make $$$.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
IIRC, the 5900 requires a pre-formatted drive with a special structure. There are procedures and a program to accomplish this using a PC. I'm not sure where that info is located now though. It's been a few years since I've seen it. Starting with the 9200, Bell PVRs are capable of formatting the drive but not the 5x00 series.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Here are the instructions I found. I have never tried it or owned a 5900. If your drive is dead you don't have anything to lose.

---
Its an IDE hard drive. Something of similar or slightly larger size will work.
You will need to know the Memory Dump Menu codes.

Accessing Memory Dump Screen: Press Menu, 6 (System Setup), 3 (Diagnostics). Within 5 seconds press Info, Browse, Theme.

Format HDD: You should be at the Memory Dump screen. Press Play, Play, Recall and it will reformat the drive.

Sometimes it can take multiple attempts to get the notification message up.

Reinitializing HDD: You should be at the Memory Dump screen. Press Stop. A screen will appear telling you that you have re-initialize the hard drive. Hold the power button on the receiver until the red record light illuminates.

Clearing NVRAM: This will erase all the timers passwords etc.. You should be at the Memory Dump screen. Press Stop then TV/Video. A different screen will pop up telling you that you have erased the NVram. Hold the power button on the receiver until the red record light illuminates.

HDD Diagnostic tests:
Short Test: You should be at the Memory Dump screen. Press Pause, 1 Long Test: You should be at the Memory Dump screen. Press Pause,
2 DST Test including Transfer Rate: You should be at the Memory Dump screen. Press Pause.
3 FET test: You should be at the Memory Dump screen. Press Pause, 6
---

This is a short list of drives that are supposed to be compatible:
Maxtor 4R120L0 or 6L120P0 120GB
Seagate ST3120025ACE or ST3120213ACE 120GB

I have no idea why the drive choice would be so limited. I suspect most IDE drives would work but you may be limited to 120GB no matter what size the drive is.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
THe firmware for the receiver has written into it the few models (as you've listed) that are "allowed" to work with the receiver. If you don't have one of those few, you're out of luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Installed new HD today

After reading this post I bought a new used drive on eBay. I first checked the model number on my hard drive on my 5900 by opening the box and removing the hd.

Once received I installed the new drive in 5-10 minutes and the followed the format drive instructions above.

New drive worked in about 5-10 minutes.

Thanks! Pvr is back working for 35 dollars!

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Cool, now please stick around Wdrob2 and see if you can assist others as the members of this Forum have helped you.

Thanks for the post though, it is valuable to know that the instructions posted by angus.black do work.

Thanks to both of you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts