Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So without the bundled discount, is this the normal retail price for Extreme Internet?

$50 High-Speed Internet
$10 High-Speed Extreme
$5 Purchased Modem Discount
= $55 / month

With bundled TV (double play discount) we do get $10 off. Since it's a double pay discount, I would divide that by half and apply a $5 credit to cable and the other $5 for internet. This still makes it $50 a month for Extreme. Does this sound right or should I get my bill adjusted / fixed? Just seems a bit high to me this day and age for a 25 mbps down and 1 mbps up line.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Extreme is $55 a month standalone. $10 off for having another service. Not sure if the owned modem discount is still in effect, but it sounds like you may be slightly overpaying.

Check the regular prices at the bottom of the product page:

·
Registered
647 Posts
Depending on your speed requirements and if you don't bundle, there are some deals to be had by using other ISP's running on Shaw's reasonably solid infrastructure.

I made the switch last year to CIA Cybersurf , kept my owned Shaw Cable modem, saved a pail of money and never looked back.

You may not get all the bloated features that Shaw provides, but frankly, they aren't that great or worth the money if all you want is a decent on ramp to do your own thing.

Considering they buy the service wholesale, mark it up to make a profit, really goes to show you just how much Shaw is gouging the uninformed customers.

They have everybody brainwashed that they are the only game in town and since the CRTC legislated 3rd party ISP access on the monopoly networks, competition is good for Canadians.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Purchased modem discount is a misleading scam. There is no discount for owning your modem. The advertised price is actually $5 dollars lower than what Shaw puts on your bill. Modem rental is free.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I was looking into the CIA Cybersurf, but they have the most UNinformative website I have ever seen. No details as to speeds, caps, etc. Am I supposed to sign up without knowing any details?

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have there 7.5 MBs service for <$30 where as it was $40+ unbundled at Shaw.
Then they also offered to double the speed to 15 MBs for an extra $10.

I strongly considered that since I had 15 with Shaw and also Telus DSL BTW.

I decided to save my money as with all the rate shaping and most broadband in N.A. have such an anemic upstream bandwidth, it was seldom you'd every get full speed on most torrents.

It's amazing when you get 1 or 2 seeds that are smoking and you check and they are anywhere but N.A.

If you need a 2nd IP like I use, it's also free, just need to ask for it.
As for caps, it haven't been approached about my usage and I have BT running 24/7 and historically run about 160 to 250 GB per month.

As for speed, they are IDENTICAL to whatever Shaw puts out for the same service as they are provisioning the modem.

The difference comes from them using their own DNS and mail servers.

So I use my own exchange server and domain + gmail and OPEN DNS.

As I said, it's a no frills on ramp that works and is well priced.

Why pay retail when you are doing your own thing and don't need all the hand holding.

Shaw is just plain greedy.

They also do the same sort of thing with DSL in other regions, but I can't comment on that experience, only my own in Calgary on Shaw coax.

If you own a valid modem, there are no contacts, so the risk to give it a try is minimal and you just might like the feeling of not being on Shaw, but getting most of the benefits of the their system.

Don't everybody migrate at once, I need time to sell all my Shaw stock in my pension fund!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It took a while on the phone but I managed to get the rep to say that yes, no one needs to buy a modem now. And modem discounts are no longer given out. But I have a reason, I think even with the modem discount, I am paying the same as someone who did not buy the modem. For those who did not buy a modem, what are you seeing on your shaw bill for Extreme Internet. $55 seems a little high to me and wanted to double check.

·
Registered
647 Posts
So those owners who were loyal and bought there modems are now getting hosed?
They should buy them back for the $100 we paid.
Except they are now very valuable when you cancel and switch to one of the 3rd party cable ISP's.

Just like Shaw to screw you and smile at the same time. :mad:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Is Shaw every gonna stop gouging there long time customers? Not only do the cable rates go up a few dollars every quarter, but now the internet has went up a few dollars too. Extreme-I with the bundled discount is now $47. My monthly bill should have been around $95 including tax now it's $100.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Highway Robbery. No wonder Canada is so far behind the rest of the world, we put up with this.

See the news about CRTC forcing Telcos and cablecos top wholesale out the internet at the same speeds. been around for a while, just not well publicized.

I'm on 7.5M with CIA for $29.95 and for an extra $10, they double it, so for 15M for under $40, totally unbundled.
If they can make money reselling Shaws internet plant, then Shaw is as you have noticing, gouging us because they think they are the only game in town, they are not.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I subscribed to 3web High Speed Cable Internet between 13 April 2005 and early September 2008. When I signed up I got 1 month free, paid $19.96 for the next 2 months, then $24.96 until I had some billing issues with the long distance bundle discount disappearing. They suspended the long distance plan causing the bundle discount to go because I failed to notify them of my credit cards expiry date more than 30 days before it expired at the end of February 2006. My replacement card from the card issuer arrived in February 2006. For the next 18 months the discount came and went as the long distance account bounced between active and suspended status. In Septemeber 2007 I bundled the internet with a new long distance plan for another telephone number and everything returned to normal. In the last week of August 2008 my really old Shaw Terayon cable modem stopped working. A 3web Technical Services Representative put my 3web Internet on temporary suspension (and still is).

In September 2008, I went to Shaw because they had a really great offer: 1 Free Modem (to own), 1 month free, then Extreme Internet at $29.95 for the next 6 months. It turned out that the discount lasted two months longer. In May I called for a loyalty offer and received 1 month free, then 12 months at $19.95. I later added Extreme back for several months. In July I called for another loyalty offer but was disappointed when they refused. So I called MTS and got them to intall their internet and I'm paying $15 per month until early October as I had got them to give me the bundle discount my dad's cell phone too!

In October I'd undecided where I'll go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts