Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at upgrading the drives in my DNS-323 with a couple 3TB drives. Most of the drives I can find are 5400 RPM drive, in that size. Seagate does have a 7200 RPM 3 TB drive, but I would like to stay clear of Seagates. I mostly use my NAS to stream video to various devices. Will the 5400 RPM drives be fast enough to accomplish this? Or should I wait until Western Digital or Hitachi has a 7200 RPM 3TB drive?

Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
16,409 Posts
I don't have specific experience the the D-Link DNS-323, but 5400 RPM drives should work fine for streaming video.

There are a number of conditions that could affect the performance:
  • Using the on-board torrent software will really stress the hard drive.
  • How many streams you plan to have active at once.
  • How full and how fragmented the drives are.
  • Whether there's a way to defrag the drives.
  • Whether you plan to update the drives while streaming (large backups or adding more videos).

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am running version 1.10 Firmware. I am not running 2TB drives in it, I currently have two 1TB drives. I was thinking of upgrading to 3 TB drives. Now that I think of it, I suppose I should find out if the DNS-323 will support 3 TB drives.

There are a number of conditions that could affect the performance:

Using the on-board torrent software will really stress the hard drive.
How many streams you plan to have active at once.
How full and how fragmented the drives are.
Whether there's a way to defrag the drives.
Whether you plan to update the drives while streaming (large backups or adding more videos).
I don't use the Torrent feature of the DNS, and I don't do any backups to it. The most streams I would stream at once is 2, maybe 3 at the odd time. I just didn't want to spend the money on the drives and get terrible streaming performance

1 - 6 of 6 Posts