Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
does anyone know what causes the blue light bars to just keep flashing like when it first boots up but does not ever boot up, light bars just keep flashing. thanks in advance for any help. i am just a bit outside the service area for a tech to stop be.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Check to see if there is anything on screen. You may just have the FE update coming through or it might have got stuck in a "loop" if you tried to power up or unplug it while it was downloading. I've sometimes done a soft reset by mistake (hold power button for 10 seconds), only to find it downloading.

It might be best to call SD if you are unsure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks again. it is actually one of my friends unit. we have tried the unplugging for 36 hours and no luck, was just hoping for some kind of miracle i think

·
Registered
647 Posts
From a cold start, you may see it pause a couple of times and brief flashes in the click display like 1080 but if it NEVER stops, then you box is hooped.

This is the exact symptom of a trashed CMOS and even direct access to the factory loader tools often fails to resurrect such machines.

See if you can arrange a call to Shaw via some Voip method or Skype were your location is not an issue.

Actually they will take a support call from anywhere, they just won't send a replacement out of country.

Or maybe their is no telco service where you are, but there is internet, so try an internet phone call.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Not entirely Moose, there are times from a cold boot where if you have a bad signal, the bars will loop until a good signal is achieved. The low signal LED will not appear unless you attempt to power the unit on. If you do get the light then you're in luck...it's probably just a poor signal issue. If you try to turn it on and still no good, then yeah box is probably pooched

·
Registered
647 Posts
Sure, just going from memory when my 530 bit the dust big time.

It would be a poor design in that case.
You should at least get to some OSD that says it can't find the signal or give up the RED no sat signal light in a reasonable time frame.

It just wasn't a very robust unit.

Seems like we need some additional info from the OP.

I was making the assumption that it used to work and now doesn't.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Many thanks from you guys. the unit worked great for quite awhile but just started doing this. the signal strength is very strong on both his system as well as mine. we have tried it on both. my guess is it is a goner but was just keeping my fingers crossed. thank you all again. we are about 3000 miles south of the official viewing area and are getting between 90 and 99 percent signal strength with an eight foot dish here

1 - 10 of 10 Posts