Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This thread is for the posting of problem reports for the ExpressVu 5200. Please post any discussion and clarification in the "Discussion: 5200 Problem List (v125, June 2005)" thread.

Please do not post the description for a problem that you encountered prior to performing the hard disk clean required by V125 as they might be corrected by the format.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Timer recorded active program rather than timer program

Problem Title: Timer recorded active program rather than timer program
Mode (Single/Dual): Single
Frequency (Once/Daily/Hourly/Other): Once

Description:
A timer was configured from the guide as a Monday-Friday recording. The device was on and another program being watched. When the timer started, it recorded the active program rather than the program that was set in the timer.

Notes:
The device had been running without any reset since the installation of V125. The power had been turned off and on at many times over the days since the installation of V125. Several timers have completed while programming was watched without the problem occurring. The device was reset and the correct program began recording. A review of the recording previous to the reset found that the active program was recorded.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Audio/Video Synchronization Problems

Problem Title: Recorded event playback partial image pixellation and audio synch problems
Frequency (Once/Daily/Hourly/Other): Hourly

Description:
When watching recorded events, the video often* has 1-2 second intervals in which there is pixellation of a small portion of the image. Following these occurrences, the audio is out of sync.

Notes:
When this problem occurs, it is possible to get the audio back in synch with the video by pressing the "jump back" button. The pixellation seems to be part of the recording as it will occur in the same spot when one "jumps back" within the 10 seconds after the anomaly.

*Since my original post I have noticed that the audio is very frequently going out of sync with the video when watching recorded events - multiple times per hour.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
iTV not enabled

Problem Title: iTV is not enabled
Mode (Single/Dual): Both
Frequency (Once/Daily/Hourly/Other): Constant

Description:
iTV is still not enabled

Notes:
This feature has not been enabled for the 5200.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Caller ID not enabled

Problem Title: Caller ID not enabled

Description:
Caller ID functionality has not been enabled for the 5200

Notes:
No applicable notes

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Device errantly shows "Switch Problem Detected"

Problem Title: Device errantly shows "Switch Problem Detected"
Frequency (Once/Daily/Hourly/Other): Once

Description:
When the 5200 was turned on for the first time in the day it presented an error message indicating a switch failure had been detected. I do not have an external switch so unless there is an internal one this should not have happened. The error instructed me to run the switch tests (available from the Installation/Point Dish menu). After running them the device synch'ed with the satellite and resumed display of programming.

Notes:
The device displayed "No Switch" in the screen which displays information about the 2 input feeds. When I ran the tests is ran 38/38 tests on both inputs and found no errors.

*This has now been confirmed by another user

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Problem Title: Inactivity
Mode (Single/Dual): Dual (not sure about single)

Description:
The inactivity function is not working on TV1 or TV2. I have had TV1 off and TV2 never turns off. I have had both on and neither turn off.

Notes:
I have the inactivity enabled and set at 4 hours.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Search does not find available results

Problem Title: Search does not find available results
Frequency (Once/Daily/Hourly/Other): Daily

Description:
The search feature often does not find valid matches. A message to the effect of "No results found' is reported.

Notes:
The problem seems to be related to how long its been since a program guide update. It generally works for a period of time after an overnight update or a reset that forces a guide update.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Problem Title: Search does not find available results
Mode (Single/Dual): Dual
Frequency (Once/Daily/Hourly/Other): Daily

Description:
The search feature often does not find valid matches. A message to the effect of "No results found' is reported.

Notes:
The problem seems to be related to how long its been since a program guide update. It generally works for a period of time after an overnight update or a reset that forces a guide update.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Problem Title: PIP failure after Inactivity resume
Mode (Single/Dual): Single (not sure about dual)
Frequency (Once/Daily/Hourly/Other): Every time i've tried it.

Description:
When the system is in Inactivity and the power button is pressed to resume operation, pressing the PIP button, or swap button results in nothing happening (almost as if 2nd tuner never gets out of Inactivity mode.

Notes:
Simply holding down the power button (reboot) fixes the unresponsive buttons. Untill inactivity occurs again

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Audio Synchronization Problems

Problem Title: Audio synchronization problems
Frequency (Once/Daily/Hourly/Other): Often every 10-15 mins

Description:
When viewing programs, the audio is often going out of sync with the video. The effect no longer seems tied to any noticeable pixellation on the screen.

Notes:
When this problem occurs, it is possible to get the audio back in synch with the video by pressing the "jump back" button. It is not currently clear if the problem is limited to recorded/recording programs or programs in which PVR functionality (pausing/rewinding) is being used.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Problem Title: Audio synchronization problems
Mode (Single/Dual): Dual
Frequency (Once/Daily/Hourly/Other): Other (not sure how often)

Description:
When viewing programs, the audio is often going out of sync with the video.

Notes:
When this problem occurs, it is possible to get the audio back in synch with the video by pressing the "jump back" button. It is not currently clear if the problem is limited to recorded/recording programs or programs in which PVR functionality (pausing/rewinding) is being used.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Problem Title: Audio Synchonization Problems on playback of recorded programs
Mode: Dual
Frequency: Several times per hour.

Notes: Same symptoms and temporary correction as in above notes by joedoe and early_adopter. I have been having this problem for several months. The problem is becoming more and more frequent and annoying. I assume that it is a software problem. Can anyone confirm the problem and give any hope or timeline of a repair.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Unit fails to "update smart card"

Problem Title: Unit Fails to Update

Description:
Unit fails to update smart card. Cannot order PPV through guide

Notes:
Started with cannot order PPV, phone line not avail. Phone line is OK. Reset allows forced connection through diagnostics but update times out. Regular phone shows line in use during update, line becomes available, unit still shows "updating". Second attempt at forcing dial out errors out, must do reset again. Programming History still shows 5 entries. CSR stated problem with 5200 modem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Problem Title: Hard Drive Failure
Frequency: Constant
Description:

Pressing the PVR button to bring up the list of recorded shows causes the unit to freeze up and the list never appears.

Notes:
This started on Christmas eve. We could still watch programming LIVE once the system was rebooted. Now it just constantly attempts to run Hard Drive diagnostics and nothing can be watched at all. :(

BEV is sending a "NEW" unit to replace the rental. 80 hours of saved stuff down the tubes I guess. It had been working fine since March 2005.
I wanted to upgrade the unit to a 9200 but that is not allowed according to the Rental agreement......

·
Registered
1 Posts
5200 Locked

My 5200 Locked up today. The green light was stuck on TV1 and would not reset by holding the power button in or unplugging.

Spoke to Bell for 30 mins and they decided to send a new unit. My warranty is up in 5 weeks, which makes me alarmed about future problems.

Anyone else had a received lock up this way?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts