Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Banned
1,302 Posts
Yes the 5100's are plauged with a tunner chip problem where the chip become loose (sodder weakens) and sepetates from the mother board/circutboard, rendering it unable to establish a signal with Bell Satilites.

·
Registered
9 Posts
cool. is it an easy fix? I'll take it apart this weekend and see if I can fix this. thanks. now to figure out which chip is the tuner chip. I wonder if it's easy to recognize.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
No, not at all. They, NESA, had a large stockpile of 5100's, well these as you know are old machines and as they are refurbished, they are automatically upgraded to the 5900. The result is less and less 5100's. There are still a few but it is just as easy to ship out a 5900 nowadays.

It's a good deal for people with Dish Care when the 5100 dies and they get the 5900, all that extra recording time.....

Just as an FYI, there are still a few 1000's lying around at NESA.....lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
that's awesome that they did that for you ShawnD, but they refuse to help me out with anything, aside from just saying to buy another receiver. I'm pretty disappointed, because being a customer for going on 9 years now, you would think that they would try to help a loyal customer.

I'm also disappointed that if I buy a new receiver I now lose the UHF remote awesomeness. My brother in law has that UHF HD dual tuner receiver, and now they don't make them anymore if you buy brand new. They had something good and now completely abolish that technology from their products.:confused:

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Bell do not care how long you have been a customer at all.

The way to deal with this would have been to take out "Dish Care" when the problems first appeared, but before you called Bell about the problem, then you could have had it replaced under the "Dish Care" terms.

I would be watching out for a deal on a 6131, sometimes as low as $99, then add you own EHD, giving you an HD PVR.

·
Registered
9 Posts
thanks, will look out for that. crap...it's too bad I didn't think of the Dish Care thing. I guess if I get a replacement receiver, I'll make sure I do that next time. I really like the external hard drive idea. that's definitely better than having this internal hard drive that runs super hot at times even with the fan running.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
In all fairness you will not experience that with a 5900, they do not run as hot as the 5100.

Some 5100's were shipped with the fan being installed the wrong way round, instead of pulling air out, they were blowing it in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
hahahaha. wow. I hope the person involved designing this 5100 no longer works at bell. that's some seriously bad quality control. I'm surprised this one worked as long as it did after knowing that.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Oh don't worry, we still get some amazing mistakes from time to time with the new ones.....

You could always add a second fan, I did that a couple of times, before the connexiant chip problem became common knowledge.

·
Registered
9 Posts
that actually kinda makes sense. I was way too busy this weekend to watch TV, I unplugged my receiver for a couple of days, because I just gave up on it. Decided to plug in the receiver yesterday morning, just to see if it would work(didn't think it would). For about an hour it worked great...didn't get the glitch, then suddenly it all started glitching again getting worse and worse. It must have cooled down, the chip set back into whatever solder was there until it started heating up again.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
A heat gun is what I used many years ago to re-seat the connexiant chip, worked for a few months.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
In all fairness you will not experience that with a 5900, they do not run as hot as the 5100.
The main board was redesigned, but the real reason it does not apply to the 5900 is a) the method of mounting the chip was corrected and b) They used an upgraded chip (I used to have all the part numbers but have lost them) which runs cooler. The issue was not really the board layout designers fault so much as it was the manufacturer of the conexant chip, not that it really matters.

Bell used to offer a refurb for $150 for out of warranty purposes. Even a refurb 5100 would be better than the original model as the refurb process usually corrected the problem along with a few others. The corrected refurb looks a lot different with noticable extra resistors, perhaps a heat sink or fan and also perhaps a replaced conexant chip.

Out of my 4 x 5900's all are "upgraded" 5100's (upgraded HDD) with the original MOBO. I don't have signal issues on any of them. 2 other 5100's that I had though had issues. One died completely after my attempts to reseat the chip, the other is still in service under a friends account.

Once the chip is damaged, replacing it (or the motherboard) becomes the only real option, but before that, installing a heat sink on the chip (or a fan) is not a bad idea and may extend the life. Good ventilation is of course critical.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Onca again dosborne I agree with all your points. It's been a while since I played with 5100's I must admit.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I won't get into my Franken-board where I cut a 4" x 2" section off one MOBO (dead tuner) and installed it on another (dead CPU). It was nice of them to mount all the signal components together and the MOBO even had perforations around this area. It actually worked.....for a few minutes ..... until I made a mistake and fried another part of it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
bell hooked me up with a deal for a 6131, which is awesome, but thinking I might experiment with seeing if I can repair the 5100. If I screw it up at least I'm still up and running.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
A good news story about Bell, nice one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
there's not many, but I guess I hooked up with an understanding representative this time. crossing my fingers for after everything gets installed.

I find that all providers are hard to deal with at times and at other times you get a good customer service rep. it's usually a roll of the dice. it's too bad. I guess as soon as the provider gets so big it's hard to determine which ones are the bad not really caring reps and the understanding(or at least doing their jobs well) good ones. This rep noticed that I've been a customer for such a long time, so the deal was offered immediately in order to keep me.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts