Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Don't give up hope.

From my reading, it would seem the old 3100's and 5100's have a -potential- problem with their tuner chip.
It's inside the little silver box, beside the coax connector for the cable up to your LNB.
For more info about location and testing, you can see my comments here:
http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30201

As for an actual testing proceedure in the PVR, I'm afraid you'd have to do more disassembly of the unit to get to the chip.
(remove the hard drive)
Then, you would only be verifying that the tuner chip is the problem.
Repairing it is another matter.

A decent technician (with experience with these units) might replace the chip with a later model one for around $50 - $75.
The replacement is much more stable, and is unlikely to ever fail again.
...and is used in 5800's and 5900's.

So long as you are out of warranty, the hard drive can be replaced, as well.
Again, it's for someone experienced with these units, but you might get a -larger- drive for your trouble.
40gb = 5100 , 80gb = 5800 , 120gb = 5900.
Not just any drive will work, so don't get ahead of yourself.

Of course, before jumping on the chip-replacement bandwagon, you should rule out all other possible failures.
eg: bad dish, LNB, cabling, switches, etc.

·
Banned
3 Posts
Anole said:
From my reading, it would seem the old 3100's and 5100's have a -potential- problem with their tuner chip.
It's inside the little silver box, beside the coax connector for the cable up to your LNB.
For more info about location and testing, you can see my comments here:
http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30201

As for an actual testing proceedure in the PVR, I'm afraid you'd have to do more disassembly of the unit to get to the chip.
(remove the hard drive)
Then, you would only be verifying that the tuner chip is the problem.
Repairing it is another matter.

A decent technician (with experience with these units) might replace the chip with a later model one for around $50 - $75.
The replacement is much more stable, and is unlikely to ever fail again.
...and is used in 5800's and 5900's.

So long as you are out of warranty, the hard drive can be replaced, as well.
Again, it's for someone experienced with these units, but you might get a -larger- drive for your trouble.
40gb = 5100 , 80gb = 5800 , 120gb = 5900.
Not just any drive will work, so don't get ahead of yourself.

Of course, before jumping on the chip-replacement bandwagon, you should rule out all other possible failures.
eg: bad dish, LNB, cabling, switches, etc.
Thanks. Dish, cable, lnb all ruled out. Drop a 2700 on the same line and it works fine. It also seems ot be worse on certain transponders, not all and not an odd/even thing.

So anyone know a place that will do the repairs or the steps to do it?
I've soldered a lot before as well as built PCs and done Xbox mods so if it doesn't take special equipment I'm sure I can handle it if I had the details.
Where can a replacement chip be sourced?
How small are the solder points?

·
Registered
10 Posts
You know, for the amount of people (including myself) having problems with the 5100..... all apparently starting around the same time this summer. I would think it is something BEV has done in their data stream to corrupt the 5100's. Lets ask this question, is there anyone out there that has a working 5100?

Ive read on these forums people claiming it to be a heat related problem, so I tested the theory by removing the hard drive and placing a cpu fan over the chip in question. Didn't seem to make a bit of difference. The next step is to take a can of compressed air (freeze) to the chip and see if that affects it.

But honestly, it is probably something BEV has done.

Cheech

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Thing is, "the overheating when on, followed by the cooling when switched off" has caused cracks to develop in the solder. So, the cracks are already there, which makes adding heat (or cool) have little effect on the present problem.

A word of caution for those foolish enough (such as myself) to think "maybe I can heat the pins and remelt the solder below the chip, and thus form a solid connection again"......don't do it. I just lightly pressed a soldering iron tip across the pins (having come to this brilliant solution all by myself), and the result: DOORSTOP/PAPERWEIGHT. It works equally well for both :(

Light comes on, but no "acquiring satellite" screens or picture of any sort.

Just thought I'd pass that on.
(Thankfully, I had the 9200 already, so no huge loss.....gonna keep this and maybe see if I can find that replacement Conexant 24109 chip and get someone who knows what they're doing to replace the chip. Anybody know someone with good electronics soldering skills on Vancouver Island? :))

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nuje,
I hear what you're saying. I might try taking it over to my neighbour, he's an electrician by trade and an ultimate Type A personality. We'll see what he has to say about it. If it does get repaired, I'll send you a message and you can send your unit over. Do you know where Relic lives?

Cheech

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
The only Relic I'm familiar with was on The Beachcombers.....and him DEAD (methinks) :)
Sorry, man.....not familiar with your man's "20".

·
Registered
153 Posts
that tuner chip, again

I haven't actually had to replace a chip myself, but my close buddy has.
Plus, I've read all about it on the internet.

Apparently, the chip solders down to the board.
Yes, the bottom of the chip solders directly to the PC board.
So, no amount of fiddling with the leads will do you any good.
The bond to the board comes lose or intermittent.
That's why I (hopefully) said in the other thread, that you need to hold pressure to the chip itself, to see if it solves the problem.
(but only while under stiff pressure)
Some have reported that using special techniques, they've managed to resolder the old chip.
On the other hand, if the chip lost its heatsink to the board and overheated, it may have gone bad.
So, the knowledgable experimenter might try the proper resoldering technique, but the average guy is better off having the chip replaced.

On an older 3100 or 5100 (not 5800/5900) it's a 90% chance that the chip has either come lose or failed.
(if you are experiencing the symtoms described in this thread)

edit: for goodness sakes, do -not- take your receiver to an electrician, unless you have in hand, the proper instructions for resoldering this thing!
Even knowledgable electronic technicians are not your man, without a clue as to the proper technique!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nuje,
You guessed right, we're not that far apart, just a couple ferry rides away.

Anole,
Trust me this guy knows how to do it all. If he can do it, he would. If he can't, he'll say so himself. You would not believe the tools this guy has! He's one of those type of guys that can do anything (has a very successful business to boot).

Cheech

·
Banned
6,296 Posts
Where can a replacement chip be sourced?
I have seen the chips for sale on Ebay. They were kind of pricey though. Probably not worth it. ($US15+shipping or was it US$25?) If you can't find someone to fix it and can't get EV to send a refurb you could look for someone who wants the hard drive and buy a 9200.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Our 5100 started acting up about a week ago and it only seems to start 10:00 PM and stops acting up by midnight. The picture breaks up, the receiver searches for the transponsers and this continues over and over. Very odd.... I tried a 6100 on the same line and it works perfectly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I phoned BEV tonight and mentioned the loss of signal with my 5100. The CSR had mentioned that BEV knew about this problem and that it was a sofware issue and they would be rolling out a new update in the next couple of weeks for the 5XXX series of PVR's. Was she just giving me the gears or are they really working on an update?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I suspect that the problem is with Bell. When you check the sat signal, the strength never drops down below 80%, yet varies when you change the transponder. What does happen, is the message at the bottom of the screen changes to "Wrong Sat" and the signal meter changes to red. I don't know, could that chip everyone is talking about create these problems? Personally I don't think so. Well let's see what Bell does in the next couple weeks.

Cheech

·
Banned
14 Posts
Our 5100 has been having issues as well. Went away for weekend and now it gets no signal at all. On the check switch test it is only seeing even transponder.

Only was able to get a signal of 50% on one transponder.

Has Bell hosed the 5100 and is there anyway to get these working?

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is a known issue with the 5x00 recievers after time. The fans on them don't run properly and due to this there is a chip that overheats and melts the contacts on itself.

I had a local guy to me fix mine and he hard wired my fan to run 100% of the time, after it was all fixed and chip replaced, never saw this issue again, it has been 12+ months now, works like a CHARM!

·
Registered
4 Posts
a11 said:
Does anyone have a diagram of where this chip is?
That I do not, but if you dont know what you are doing with solder you will just completely demolish you're reciever!

·
Banned
14 Posts
At this point its a boat anchor anyway. Less that 50% signal on some transponders, none on others. Just trying to diagnose the issue.

·
Banned
14 Posts
Can anyone provide any instructions on how to repiar or test the 5100 for the tuner chip issue? Since mine is all but dead now I'd liek to see if this is the issue and if it can be fixed.

A refurb is $150 + shipping and taxes so may as well buy a new 5900 then a refurb with a known isue so I'd like to fix this 5100 if it is possible.

Or does anyone know a place in NS that does this repair?

·
Registered
10 Posts
A11,
I've never had no signal on any transponder, it's usually 85+%, some transponders it's up to 100%. Maybe we have two different problems. If it is the chip as bev suggests, then why do I not lose the signal? it just reports that it is on the wrong satellite. With my scenario, it might be a Bell issue.

The problem was terrible yesterday (Sep 25), still acting up today, but not too bad (only watched for 1/2 hour).

·
Registered
505 Posts
In my case I experience the exact same behaviour as Cheech1024, but if I leave my receiver unplugged for a lengthy period, it seems fixed for a short while. This, in my completely amateur opinion, would seem to indicate a temperature issue such as has been described regarding the soldering and the chip.

So now I'm really confused and am curious to see if they are able to release a software fix. I hope it's true. If they do, however, then I'm also going to be pissed, since I was told by Bell that it needed to be replaced. Lucky I bought a 9200 and didn't just pay to replace my 5100.

Steve

21 - 40 of 79 Posts