Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - I've got a 5100 that I've had for about 3 years now, no real problems up until about a week ago, when my signal crapped out, and I haven't been able to get it back. I've checked the connections all the way back to the dish, nothing happened and I haven't made any changes. Has there been any problems like this recently with 5100's?

·
Registered
548 Posts
My 5100 has been acting a bit weird lately too.
On Sunday, I turned everything on and the unit did the transpoder-checking-thing on EV91. 5 out of 5 transponders checked, and then nothing but a blank screen with no audio.
I pulled out the smartcard and then reinserted it. The system re-booted and voila - we were watching TV again.

If you have a neighbor with a BEV account, it would be a good idea to take your receiver over there and plug it into their dish. That would tell you what's going on at your house.... Failing that, maybe the dealer you bought it from would help you plug into their dish?
Good luck.
Chumley

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - I hooked up another receiver and voila - no problems. Signal came on in 30 seconds. Looks like my receiver's crapped out on me....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I spoke to Bell. They had no suggestions, except to say that if another receiver worked on the same signal, then our receiver is probably broken. They then said we have no other option except to buy another receiver, so it looks like we're done with Bell. We're moving to Milton in September and Cogeco said they will give us 2 free receivers for digital cable if we trade in our satellite. Probably switch our internet to them too.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Sorry to hear your 5100 has bit the dust. Mine's probably not far behind - - it was one of the originals.
Good luck with the new cable company!

Chumley

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I find it pretty funny actually that if anything at all happens to your out of warranty (what is the standard warranty now anyways??) you're SOL and the only option Bell can give you is to buy another receiver. Nobody fixes these things???

·
Registered
1 Posts
recent 5100 problems

I too have a 5100 that I've had for about 4 years (pretty much since they came out). I leave it on all the time (it's connected to a computer-based PVR system), and in the last few weeks I've had to reboot it (holding down power for a few seconds) almost every couple of days, because of the screen going black. The program guide data is all there, just no picture. After a reboot, it's fine again for another day or two. Really sucks when you record a movie in the middle of the night and the next day when you go to watch it all you get is black. Maybe there's some sort of buggy software update recently?

·
Registered
505 Posts
As posted in a different thread, I'm in a similar situation. So now I have the option of swapping the receiver for a refurbished one (for a fee, of course) or purchasing a new one (I guess it's the 5900). The refurbished unit only has 3 months warranty while the new one has a year.

Aside from the improved features on the new PVR, is there any advantage to spending twice as much--seeing as the new one only comes with a year warranty anyway? Can one buy the dish care service plan after receiving a refurbished receiver and get coverage on that receiver after the 3 month warranty period? Is the dish care plan worth it anyway?

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
17 Posts
Pvr 5100

Similar problem here. Turned on tv this AM and got:

Attention: 015
Please standby for the satellite signal.
Thank you for your patience.
Satellite: EV91
Transponder 13

Progress goes to 5 of 5 and stays there.
Reset, turned off and unplugged for 30 minutes still the same.

The harddrive has made some screeching noise at times for last month.

Receiver got on Sept 26/2001 at Future Shop with extenned warranty until Sept 26/05.
Will see how good Future Shop warranty is! :rolleyes:

·
Banned
6,296 Posts
The EV 5100 was probably one of the few items for which an extended warranty was worth buying. You may get a 5800 or 5900 in exchange. The 5100s were plagued by bad hard drives. The hard drives in 5800s and 5900s are much better.

A new unit is a much better option than getting a refurb from ExpressVu. Their replacements units are often worse than the one you send in. They just keep recycling problem units until they can't be fixed.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I_Want_My_HDTV said:
The EV 5100 was probably one of the few items for which an extended warranty was worth buying. You may get a 5800 or 5900 in exchange. The 5100s were plagued by bad hard drives. The hard drives in 5800s and 5900s are much better.

A new unit is a much better option than getting a refurb from ExpressVu. Their replacements units are often worse than the one you send in. They just keep recycling problem units until they can't be fixed.
I've run both sets of hard drive diagnostics and they both pass. The only test I've run that doesn't pass is the VCO diagnostics, which I am told will test the tuner (amongst other things, I suppose). It doesn't pass or fail, it just hangs.

So it would seem to be the tuner that is the issue. I haven't come across any info that would lead me to believe that there are problems with the satellite tuner chip on the other models. Is that correct?

Steve

·
Registered
77 Posts
The sat tuner chip Conexant 24108 has plagued the 501 (Dishnet) and 5100 (Bell) in the thousands. What happens is that the chip gets very hot and the solder pot (ground to board) under the chip melts and loses the connection. It's a 40 pin - 3/8" square surface mount chip under the hard drive that is not for the amateur to replace.

Strange as it seems, this chip was built for U.S. military applications and was not meant for satellite TV. You can either have the chip replaced with a CX 24109 (apparently improved) or upgrade to a different PVR.

If they would have run the fan 24/7 and put a heat sink on the chip, all would have been well, but they're in business to sell and not fix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Misled by Expressvu

I seem to be among many when i was told I was an anomoly. Tech support has told me to buy a new receiver and that is that, after days of testing and retesting and following poor instructions and misleading information. The 5100 is a three year machine for a purchase price of almost $600. thats $200 per year for a machine racked with software bugs and poor user interfaces.
I feel lied to and misled but it seems that they know as well us we that there is little choice but to bow to them or to bow out.
I am bowing out. I feel for all of your problems and if a class action is in the works I'm in.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Beign faced with the same situation myself, the only advice I can give you is to officially cancel your account via customer service, not tech support. I've already talked them into giving me at least a $100 credit toward a new receiver plus some free programming not to cancel. I've put the account on vacation status for now and I'm going to hold out for more from them when I actually cancel. In the meantime I'll give Shaw a try.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Signal in and out

We have a 5100 PVR receiver located in Winnipeg.

On Friday, June 17, our signal conked out, and kept intermittently coming in and out. Not enough in to get a picture. Our frustration levels were very high.

We called BEV tech support, and got a very snotty rep. Eventually, after about 20 minutes of resetting, etc.,, he said our receiver was probably shot.

We went away for the weekend, and came home Sunday evening, and all was well. Signal strength alternated from 95% to 98% and at times, hit 100%. We were like a couple of kids, we were so happy to see it working. Has anyone else experienced this? Any explanation? If it is truly the receiver that is " shot" how does it come to life again?

I've read some of the messages in this thread, and I'm becoming suspicious that, given the number of similar sounding complaints over the last week or so from others, that BEV did something tricky yet again (akin to the error riddled E545 software) that screwed us up, and again, their tech support is blaming problems on crapped out receivers. Any comments?

Also, as an aside, I've contacted a lawyer about filing a class action claim against BEV - I've had it with their failure to deliver service and their advice (like leaving on the receivers) that ultimately causes damage to the receiver. I gather from the comments I'm reading that there will be much support from frustrated BEV customers with wonky 5X00 recievers, for such a claim.

·
Registered
505 Posts
jimbgoss said:
Future Shop replaced my 5100 with a new 5900 with a year warranty.
More details please. Did you purchase the 5100 at Future Shop? Had you purchased an extended warranty at the time? etc.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
38 Posts
jimbgoss said:
Similar problem here. Turned on tv this AM and got:

Attention: 015
Please standby for the satellite signal.
Thank you for your patience.
Satellite: EV91
Transponder 13

Progress goes to 5 of 5 and stays there.
Reset, turned off and unplugged for 30 minutes still the same.

The harddrive has made some screeching noise at times for last month.

Receiver got on Sept 26/2001 at Future Shop with extenned warranty until Sept 26/05.
Will see how good Future Shop warranty is! :rolleyes:
I too had started to have problems with my 5100 the last few weeks. It continually lost the signal and began searching the tranpsonder the channel was on. I've had it for about 3 years, and hadn't had any problems up until that point.

Rebooting and the like had no affect. I opened up the unit, and cleaned off the not inconsiderable amount of dust ( on the board and on the fan ) that had accumulated over the years.

Low and behold, the unit is now performing perfectly again. I think the dust was probably causing the unit to overhead, thus causing the problem.

Those of you having the same problem might want to try the same thing!

Cheers,
Ian

·
Banned
3 Posts
Oddly enoug my 5100 now has the exact same issues. The signal strngth is way down especially on certain transponders. Connected another receiver and it is fine.

So obviously the 5100 has some problem. Has anyone got a fix or resolution from Bev on this?

1 - 20 of 79 Posts