Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thinking of getting a good 50mm lens so when I do a strobe shoot at F8 I can get sharper pictures than the 24-105 F4 IS lens that I use on the 5D II.

Since I will shooting at F8 I was not thinking I do not need to spends the $$ on the sigma 1.4 or out of my price range the canon 1.2.

Since I will only be using this in a strobe type setting I see sigma has a 50 F2.8 macro that seems quite sharp from center at F2.8 and almost tack sharp even at the edge by F4+.
http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/216/cat/30

Is this all the lens that I need. I would use this for group shots. I just checked and noticed that my group shots they range from 35-60mm. I figure all I have to do is walk back and forward. :)

I already have the canon 85mm F1.8 and the 100 macro 2.8. On my family shoot last week Monday night, I should have been switching lens and used the 70-200 F2.8 IS II for some of the photo shoot.

The 24-105 F4 did a good job but I know the 70-200 is much sharper lens.

I brought over my 4 strobe setup over to my cousin house for the family shoot against a white seamless paper back ground. I had my wife nephew nikon 24-70 F2.8 on the D7000 but did not use it as I forgot how to do the custom white balance. Only read the manual once. :( Now I know for next time.

·
Registered
72 Posts
In my opinion if you have a 85mm/1.8 & used the 70-200mm then you won't be happy with a $400 piece of Sigma glass.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hey guys, question for ya,

I just bought a Rebel T1i (D500) it came with the standard 18- 55 is
and a 75-300 mm USM3, (would have prefered the 55-250 is) but this was the package deal, could you recommend the next lense I should purchase. should I get a 55-250is one all the same, as I have read a lot that this one is pretty good for the price, but seeing I already have a 75-300 mm
should it be best later one to get a even better one like a 70-300 usm IS one. I will get a portrait lense also, but was really wondering about which would be the best zoom one I should get.

Thanks. was torn between Nikon and Canon, and well I finally decided to go the Canon route. was going to just get a basic rebel xs but went to the T1, although the xs would have sufficed for now, I liked the larger screen on the T1, but probably will need a decent lense to take advantage of the 15 mega pix. I have also heard that the XS actually almost out performs this one in AF, but I just find the viewer a bit too small for me. I should be happy with this camera, I did not really need a T2 but decided to get the larger viewer and the video option, even though its a bit crappy 1080 @ 20 frames , but seems ok at 720 p
Its there as a bonus, but I dont really need it as I already have a HG 21 Canon Video Camera. So did I make a good choice or should I have went up to a T2 (is it that much better in picture quality?)
any feed back would be nice, about which lense I should be getting fot the T1 to get the most out of it.
Thanks

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AlSto, what would you recommend for a 50mm. I had the canon 50mm F1.4 but for the life could not get it to focus properly.

Sent it to canon 3 times and they could not fix it so they gave me a brand new lens. The new one was similar problems so I sold it with the warranty from canon the next day.

I will only use this lens in a strobe type shoot at F8 or get the cheap canon 35mm F2 or 50mm F1.8.

chillonhill, the 55-250 is a better lens than the 75-300 and you get IS. :) With my shaky hands I need IS and at 300mmx1.6 480mm you need min shutter soeed of 1/500th

·
Registered
72 Posts
AlSto, what would you recommend for a 50mm. I had the canon 50mm F1.4 but for the life could not get it to focus properly.
I think you should stick with your 24-105mm as it is a great performer. I was just providing my opinion as you have used much higher quality glass and the 5D is worthy of L investments. :)

I have the Canon 50mm/1.4 and never had issues with it. I have much sharper lenses also but it is small & portable and works fine at f/8. I probably would have done the same thing as you did if I had the same experience.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Thanks Yamon

well I decided to return the T1 I picked up yesterday, it was a kit with bag and extra lense,
Just took a T2 no xtras for now, cost about 50.00 less also, but I too would need IS I imagine and will work up from there,
Would have been ok with the T1, but the extra video capabilities will help as I do a lot of video editing, and will have the chance to get better video with this one, will invest in better lense later.

Sorry to intrude on your thread, I'll leave you to discuss your other topic !!
BRgds

·
Registered
521 Posts
Two Comments

I won't address the snobbish comment about Sigma.

Firstly, the macro lens offers a flat field of focus, rather than the curved field for non-macro lenses. Hence, if your group lines up in a straight line, you will achieve better focus with the macro. If the group lines up in an equidistant curve from the camera then the non-macro lens will achieve better focus.

Secondly, I think the 5D II has 9 focus sensors. Which one is it using? Are you controlling the selection, or is the camera? Because if the camera chooses somthing bright in the frame upon which to focus, then such a selection may result in a change of sharpness that overrides any potential gain from the macro lens.

·
Registered
659 Posts
@chillonhill...perhaps you should look at the 100-400mm next if you are into wildlife?

I have the xsi, came with the 18-55mm lens kit, I have since bought the 55-250mm lens and the 50 f1.8 to do portraits and macro. My next buy would be the 100-400mm lens

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
springle

For 90% of the photos I only use the center focus point.

For the remaining 10% I always select the other focus points manually. I have never let the camera decide my focus points.

I can clearly see a difference with the 70-200 F2.8 IS II compared to the 24-105 F4. The 24-105 I have is a good lens and I almost use it 80% of the time on the 5D II.

Just that if I can get a sharper lens around the 35-60mm focal length I would consider it. Don't even think of suggesting the Canon 35L F1.4 out of my shallow pockets. :)

Now if canon releases a new 24-70 F2.8 II, I'm there with or without IS.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts