Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I bought the Samsung 5085 (the pedestal) on the weekend and hooked it up to my DCT6208 via component cables. The only HD signal it will accept from the DCT is 1080i. On 720P the screen just flickers and goes black.

I thought the native resolution of this set was 720P? Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
106 Posts
It should support 720P. I don't know about the 5085, but on some Samsung models, only specific Component ports accept all resolutions (1080I, 720P etc). Try another port.

Does the 6208 have some kind of HDTV setup wizard? The SA3250 has a Setup Wizard that allows you to test resolutions on the fly. If your STB has a similar feature, you can use it to test if 720P is coming through at all. If 720P does display correctly, then you can rule out the TV or the Component ports as the source of the problem.

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
Some HDTVs with native 720P resolutions don't accept 720P (believe it or not). I don't think that's the case here, but I thought I'd mention it.

Also, many "720P native" displays provide better picture quality when fed a 1080i signal. (The TV may do a better conversion than the STB for 1080i signals - See the Digital Home FAQ on "HDTV Formats".)

If there's a "passthrough native" type option, that's usually the best option otherwise incoming 720P signals get converted to 1080i by the STB and back to 720P by the TV.

See the following setup for Motorola STBs.

http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21274&highlight=motorola

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I have one and can confirm that it takes 720p via DVI. I have not tried component, but have never heard of it being a problem. The set that 57 is referring to was the RCA Selenium DLP which (apparently) used old parts from their CRT tv's that didn't accept 720p. I have a 6208 as well. BTW, I never saw any improvement (or even difference) in 720p over 1080i so I leave it in 1080i. There has been some speculation on this board that Cancom (Shaw and SC's provider) converts everything to 1080i before they send it out anyway.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I'll try the other component input and see if that helps. I know there's not much difference between 1080i and 720p but I'm curious to see it for myself.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I tried the other component input and it didn't support the 720p singal either. Also ran through the DVE disk and I'm not too impressed with the PQ. I've read all the FAQS on poor PQ and done everything I think of short of professional calibration and messing around in the service menu.

Maybe I was just spoiled with my 36" Sony XBR250 but I find the HD signal on that set (even though it was 480i through SVideo and the TV doesn't do HD) was far better than on the new set. That's taking into consideration the appropriate viewing distance for both sets.

To me the DLP picture looks a little dirty and grainy. Am I just beeing too fussy? Any one else have opinions on the PQ for this set.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a 5063 and similarly it won't accept a 720p signal over component either. DVI is fine. I seem to vaguely recall reading somewhere that these Samsungs are bugged in this manner but failed to Google anything about it.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I upgraded from a Sony 36" as well. The difference is night and day. The picture is spectacular! Are you sure you are feeding it an HD signal? SD looks like crap, but who cares about that? Surely you aren't judging it on SD material?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Faston. I'm only commenting on HD. Analog looks pretty bad but I was expecting that. Some of the digital channels are actually better than I was expecting. It's the real HD through the 6208 that I'm not happy with. I was hoping for "spectacular" but it's just "pretty good". Do you think using DVI makes any difference on this set? I've read that most people don't notice any change from component cables.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I've read that as well, but I can't comment as I've only used DVI (for HD). Maybe you got a bad set, as I have no complaints whatsoever. This set with the latest generation 'light engine' is certainly near the top of most people's lists of DLP televisions. Until the 1080p sets come out, I think you have the best that DLP has to offer. Maybe get the store to replace it?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree the set might just be bad. From all the research I did this should be the best DLP of the bunch. The set is just a loaner from Future Shop until my real one can be delivered (they didn't have any in stock). It might be a reject that someone returned. I hope I get the real one delivered soon because my 30 days started when I got the loaner, not when the new set arrives. If I'm not happy with the new one I won't be able to return it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a similar problem, but with the 5685 and a DCT6214. I know the TV will take a 720p signal as this is what I get when I use my Samsung HD841 DVD player. The DVD player up converts the movies to 720p and this is confirmed when I check "info" on the TV. However, the 6214 only provides a 1080i signal. This is obviously correct for 1080i originating signals such as from NBC, CBS, etc. However, the networks such as Fox that broadcast at 720p come through as 1080i. My cable provider assues me that they pass through the signal as they receive it so I should be getting the 720p for these stations. The cable box is set up for 1080i as this is the majority of signals, but there doesn't seem to be an "automatic" switch to 720p.

The signal from the DVD player is via DVI (with optical audio) and the signal from the cable box is via component connections.

I haven't played around with the configuartions since I set this up, but my feeling is that the problem is with the DCT cable box.

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
BDM, if you read through this thread, you'll find that the issue with 720P is via component video, only.

Also, please put your location in your profile, it'll help us help you. If you're with Shaw, all signals may have already been converted to 1080i - see the Digital Home FAQ "HDTV Formats".

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got the new set yesterday and the PQ is AMAZING! I haven't even gone the DVE disk yet and it blows the loaner set out of the water. The loaner must have been defective. WooHoo!

Still won't do 720P through component but I it's not a big deal. Doesn't sound like it really matters anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Checking this post a tad late - but I thought you might be interested in my experience. I too have the 5085 and have had my DVD player connected via component/DVI/HDMI at one time or another. Each connection tried, I also tried outputting from the player 480p/720p/1080i searching for the best combination. All variations worked, btw.

Perhaps it is your DVD player?

One thing I did discover is that I get the best picture from DVI or HDMI and the DVD player set to 480p. I would guess that since the 5085 is native at 720p, perhaps Samsung put a lot of thought into their up conversion engine.

Cheers!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I found out this weekend that there is a known issue between samsung and motorolla involving the sync on the motorola's 720P signal. Short story...The TV will take 720P over component...just not from the DCT6208. I just bought an upconverting LG DVD player and it does 720P over component just fine.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thought I'd update this old thread.... 720P now works with the Motorola 6208 after the latest firmware update on the Motorola.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts