Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8,654 Posts
Don't know exactly what is available on Shaw for audio but all the audio channels on TV services are usually available over the internet and lots more. I find that the selection on BDUs these days is extremely limited compared to what is available using internet enabled, networked and bluetooth devices.

·
Registered
866 Posts
...all the audio channels on TV services are usually available over the internet and lots more.
True, but you will find that Shaw Direct is the best of all the BDU's. 55 coast to coast AM and FM radio stations and 42 Stingray Audio channels. It is very convenient to just select an audio channel in a matter of seconds.

·
Registered
8,654 Posts
55 coast to coast AM and FM radio stations and 42 Stingray Audio channels.
SiriusXM alone has significantly more than that. There are the over 40,000 AM, FM and internet stations that are on the TuneIn radio service alone. Stingray has over 100 stations, not 42. In 2018 there were over 950 radio stations in Canada, not 55, a large number of which are available on the internet.

It is very convenient to just select an audio channel in a matter of seconds.
I agree. I can select a radio station preset on an internet radio in about 1/10 second by pressing one button.

·
Registered
554 Posts
While audio channel 833, Spokane PBS radio was on SD, I had the receiver switch (manual timers) from my several different overnight video news channels to switch to BBC "World News Update" at 5AM ET. All audio transmitted via FM transmitter to my radio in the bedroom.

It was so convenient and automatic to have all this in one spot.

R.I.P. Spokane Broadcasters

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Everything is mpeg4 now and the 3xx - 5xx can't decode that format. I'm surprised you were able to receive Stingray channels until a few days ago. The mpeg2 versions were to have been dropped Aug 15th according to the Shaw broadcast conversion schedule.
So how do you account for this?

TSN & TSN2 still workin like a champ on my DSR 505

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Because those channels are on transponders controlled by Bell Mediaon F1R. Shaw must still be authorizing the Std Def versions on the channel maps for the 5xx series. I would expect at some point they will no longer update the channel maps and authorizations for the 5xx and earlier receivers for those channels and they will disappear. There are 15 Std Def signals on two transponders that Bell Media uplink to and as I indicated at some point Shaw Direct will probably retire all the 5xx codes.

·
Registered
866 Posts
SiriusXM alone has significantly more than that. There are the over 40,000 AM, FM and internet stations that are on the TuneIn radio service alone. Stingray has over 100 stations, not 42. In 2018 there were over 950 radio stations in Canada, not 55, a large number of which are available on the internet.

I agree. I can select a radio station preset on an internet radio in about 1/10 second by pressing one button.
I think we are getting off topic here. Just want to say I agree the WWW is definitely more versatile than satellite TV. Yes there are thousands of audio channels available on the internet. No one is arguing that fact. I have satellite radio (SiriusXm), Shaw direct satellite receivers, and multiple devices that give me internet radio; but don't discourage people who enjoy satellite TV audio.

You said, "Don't know exactly what is available on Shaw for audio.." so I was simply telling you.

I am glad that you have "an internet radio", many don't, and have to rely on other internet devices.

Keep enjoying your audio sources where ever you get them, @ExDilbert...

PS I no longer have a 500 series receiver, which is what this thread is supposed to be about.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts