Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys...i surf alot on this board, time to post now.

home theatre question:

i have my sony soround set up (finally). its a 5.1 500 watt system. now i find that the centre channel being the main speaker for vocals, its not loud enough! :(

the systems volume goes up to 70 and im using it on 65...so, what i wanted to do is get the signal thats going to the centre speaker only, run it to an external amp and power up a speaker seperate from the sony system...would this work?

i tried it today with no success. i connected the speaker wire comming out of the centre channel of the surround unit and spliced it into an rca connector so that teh centre signal now has an rca male connector on the end. i plugged that rca into the technics external amp auxillary input which fed to a larger speaker. no sound came out. am i going nuts or was that supposed to work?

theres no audio out on the surround, only the wires leading to the speakers...so i would need to work with the wire only.

thanks to all!
tony

[email protected]

·
Registered
575 Posts
There are devices that convert a speaker-level signal to line-level but they should degrade sound quality.

If you're finding the centre channel unclear (note unclear vs too quiet), you can try:

1. Adjusting the different channel volumes in your AV receiver's setup menu (this is actually meant to balance acoustic differences between speaker environments, but can be used for boosting the CC volume).
2. Get a new, better centre channel.

·
Registered
372 Posts
HeaTransfer said:
There are devices that convert a speaker-level signal to line-level but they should degrade sound quality.

If you're finding the centre channel unclear (note unclear vs too quiet), you can try:

1. Adjusting the different channel volumes in your AV receiver's setup menu (this is actually meant to balance acoustic differences between speaker environments, but can be used for boosting the CC volume).
2. Get a new, better centre channel.

I agree. Most of the time you need to turn down the centre channel's volume,so not to overpower the others channels. Are you sure the centre is not set too low ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree. Most of the time you need to turn down the centre channel's volume,so not to overpower the others channels. Are you sure the centre is not set too low ?
hey guys
wow, been a while since i was on!
thanks for your replys
buti tried hooking up my sony bookshelf speaker and that hasnt worked...i wonder why?
thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts