Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Assuming your TV can handle all formats why is it recommended to use 480i for 4x3 override? Wouldn't 480p be better for SD content? Am I forgetting or overlooking something?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Isn't it the same reason you don't have 1080p for HD?? The broadcast signal for SD broadcasts is only 480i - there's not enough signal to transform it to 480p.

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
The reasoning is contained in the following FAQ on upconversion, which is usually better left to the TV than the STB. Also, if you convert to 480p in the STB (even though that's a pretty easy conversion), the TV will simply need to do an additional conversion to its native format, whatever that may be - see the second FAQ.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=87543 On upconversion

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=73528 Native formats

Most new STBs do pretty good upconversion and if you have any delays or issues with the TV changing formats, then simply use 1080i only and/or turn the 4:3 override to off.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The FAQ referenced by 57 are correct. Historically, we've also had devices which can't handle a 480p signal generate more support calls. We try to recommend whatever will lead to the smoothest experience for the most people!

Ultimately, the recommended settings are simply that - recommendations. Feel free to experiment a little bit to find whatever looks and behaves best for you. If you end up in an unsupported mode with the 605/630 receivers, OPTIONS-4-5 and then 6 repeatedly will cycle through the Output Formats. On the 505/530, the red button on the front panel will do the same.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So do I understand the rather confusing name of 4x3 override to be best explained like this:

Regardless of what the resolution output your STB is set at, when SD signal is output it will be done so at what ever is chosen for the 4x3 override. For instance, the output is set for 1080i and the 4x3 override is at 480i then SD signals will be sent to the TV as 480i and the TV will deal with it accordingly. If nothing is selected for the override (neither 480i or 480p) then the STB tries to send it as the output setting (in this example 1080i)......correct?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts