Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 11 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
After examining some pictures and diagrams of old Channel Master Quantum, Channel King and Crossfire VHF antennas, it looks as if the main active elements are for channels 2-6 (and possibly FM), and the little ones between these are for ch. 7-13. Can somebody help me out on this one?

Btw, is anyone willing to draw up their Quantum for me?

The fractal antenna design idea looks interesting, but it seems like they'd be pretty big at UHF sizes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sweet, thanks! If my assumptions are correct, the 1110 is a 1111 with a few added directors, so it'll be possible to finally model the greatest VHF antenna ever made!!

Next Sunday, I'm going over to a friend's house, and he has a Quantum 1162 or 3 U/V antenna about 10ft above ground (temp install), I'm gonna bring a tape measure and camera. I'll post the results when I get em.

·
Registered
45 Posts
One comment before I hit the sack: I've been scraping the depths of web and the internet archive for rare antennas and other old, forgotten antenna gear like this for, well... years. Infact, I've got a wiki in the works (being a student, I don't exactly have oodles of time to work on it).

I've got pictures and drawings of the old quantum and crossfire models. All I really need is some dimensions to work with. I'll be posting the collection soon.

·
Registered
45 Posts
FYI, I own a little (140") Winegard VHF antenna, a DIY APS-13 FM antenna clone, and a bunch of miscellaneous antenna parts which will hopefully be a 16 bay Gary-Hooverman soon. I just need to figure out how to most efficiently combine the four 4-bays, etc.

The rig will hopefully be going up this summer.

I'm interested in building different antennas. When I get the time, I really want to get into antenna modeling. Just for the heck of it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just had a revelation!

In the 4228s and other antennas, there are issues with the feed line connecting multiple bays acting as an antenna. I was thinking about twinlead and the like, when I remembered that they once made shielded twinlead. If used properly, this stuff might be able to get rid of those issues (if you can find it).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Working off of nothing but pictures and pure speculation, I got a pretty rough Quantum 1110 model together: http://radioguy.googlepages.com/Quantum1110.nec

The big elements start at Ch. 2 and go up to FM. The little elements are tuned to channels 7-13 (looks about right)

I used 10 inch spacing between elements, and put the top and bottom sections 6" apart (3" and -3") (not having any real dimensions).

I sure didn't get the front 3 double elements right, and 4nec2 kept trying to auto connect feed line, thus there's one random element sticking out.

To do:
-Finish feed point (in the front)
-Get element spacing
-Get real element dimensions
-Determine whether or not the small elements are connected.
-Get antenna height
-Determine element diameters
-Determine feed line diameters

·
Registered
45 Posts
1 - 11 of 12 Posts