Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI,

Anyone hav.e any idea when we might see 4K on SD? I know Rogers has it and there is some content on Netflix but just curious as to how far it might be and it could influence my buying decision on a new TV.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Probably never. Both Satellite providers seem to be in a non compete attitude these days and have no interest in staying competitive. Bell wastes all there time and money on Fibe and Shaw does the same with Shaw Cable, yet the only two services that actually service Canada coast to coast is doing nothing to upgrade. What we have now will probably remain the status quo for the next 5-10 years until they finally shut down.

·
Super Moderator
16,427 Posts
There are 3 major issues Shaw Direct has to address to provide a 4K service - bandwidth, hardware and content.

Bandwidth - they are in the midst of converting SD to HD MPEG-4 and removing SD duplicates, which should be complete by 2019. See:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-shaw-direct-satellite/258554-shaw-direct-transition-full-mpeg-4-a.html

Hardware - Shaw Direct is in the unique position of developing their own hardware, which includes new hardware capable of handling 4K. I think the next PVR they develop will be 4K-compatible, but who knows when that will be. Most other Canadian providers use commercially available hardware from third parties (although Rogers and Bell Fibe were on the bleeding edge in working with their hardware providers.)

Content - Most 4K content is limited to specific Canadian home games on TSN and Sportsnet - NHL, MLS, Blue Jays and Raptors. Don't expect American series anytime soon, although Bell Media has committed to producing all new Canadian series in 4K. There are also a handful of 4K movies available for rental.

I wouldn't expect anything before 2019, if ever.

In addition to Rogers, Bell Fibe TV, Bell Aliant, Telus Optik TV and Videotron all offer 4K. Noticeably absent is Shaw Cable because their supplier (Comcast) isn't ready to make the move.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Forget another 4K from the networks and cable / satellite providers. The future of 4K is streaming. Pretty much everything Netflix produces now is 4K with many HDR as well.

·
Super Moderator
56,403 Posts
@airmaster360 : Actually TV channels are 720P and 1080i. See FAQ below: 1080i actually upconverts very well in 1080P TVs/STBs since it's just a matter of deinterlacing. That's why there's not really a huge benefit to 1080P for broadcasting since it takes a lot of extra bandwidth for very little visual benefit.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/76129-faq-hdtv-formats.html

Shaw Direct just passes what they get from the broadcasters, be it 720P or 1080i. Since there is very little 4k content available and no channels are 1080P, there is no need for 1080P capability at this time for Shaw Direct.

@Dr.Dave has addressed the various issues regarding 4K very well in post 3 of this thread.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts