Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I own a regular 1080 P Blu Ray DVD player and a few Blu Ray movies. I just bought a 4K TV. Will getting a 4K Blu Ray DVD player upscale the movies or would you have to re buy them all? I’m new to 4K sorry

·
Super Moderator
56,441 Posts
The 4K player will upconvert 1080P movies (if desired, which it usually is, assuming a 4K output setting in the 4K player and assuming a 4K TV). Same way (your old) 1080P BD player upconverts regular (480i) DVDs to 1080P. The new 4K player should also handle DVDs.

The 1080P BDs will not look quite as good as new 4K BDs, but they should look at least as good as they did with your previous player. Your 4K TV will also upconvert any incoming signals to 4K (it has no choice, see FAQ below and the links there). The BD player typically does a better job of upconversion.

The final results of what you see on your TV will also depend on the production values that went into the original movie (film stock?, director's intent, etc) any telecining performed, etc. For example, if the original material was not shot with 4K cameras, the results may not be as good... It was the same when HD first came out.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/87543-faq-upconversion.html

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thank you that makes a lot of sense. My Roku Premiere Plus already has 4K capabilities and I just got a 4K Fibe TV receiver today, I’ve yet to hook up. Upgraded Netflix to UHD today it looks pretty amazing ! I still have to get a 4K Blu Ray Player.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts