Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone news regarding Rogers 4G service? Looking forward to some amazing speeds for video streaming on my laptop.:cool:

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
You do know that Rogers is offering the same service as before except its now called 4G.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I info below is from Rogers Redboard. Does anyone have have new info on this trial?

Rogers announces first LTE technical trial in Canada

LTE is a fourth generation (4G) wireless technology that will enable lightning-fast HD video streaming, gaming, communications, transactions and other connected experiences through mobile Internet. LTE allows significantly more data to pass through a network at higher speeds of up to 150 Mbps and it will become the foundation in a world defined by connected experiences.

What’s happening in Ottawa?

Ericsson, in co-operation with Rogers, has been conducting LTE lab testing comparing speeds and performance of LTE technology in multiple frequency bands. Rogers will expand on this testing and move to a comprehensive technical trial of LTE on both low and high band frequencies across the Ottawa area.

The technical trial will initially use recently auctioned AWS spectrum. Rogers is also working with Industry Canada to secure a development license to use 700 MHz spectrum for the trial.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Was the the trial announcement from last October?

·
Registered
338 Posts
And for the record, Rogers has stated when they refer to "4G" they will be referring to LTE only. They are not going to be getting caught up in the false marketing that Telus, Bell, AT&T & T-Mobile have been doing. IMO, I don't see a problem calling 42.2Mbps "4G" but obviously it is completely wrong for them to rebrand 21.1Mbps 4G. Since 42.2Mbps is double the current HSPA+ speeds, and almost 12 times faster than the first 3G GSM service released in 2006 (3.6Mbps) then it's odd not call it 4G really. Logically, if 3.6Mbps is 3G and 7.2Mbps is 3.5G, then 21Mbps would have to be beyond 4G and 80Mbps LTE (or higher) would have to be like 10G lol. If I remember though, the definition of a generation change is if the latest generation is at LEAST 2x faster than the previous one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts