Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,074 Posts
There will be 4G. As Rogers appears to plan testing it using 700MHz spectrum--which won't be available until this fall--I'm guessing that the intent is to use 700MHz for LTE (4G) exclusively early on. Since we've yet had an auction of this spectrum, it likely won't be another year or two before 4G networks can begin deployment.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There will be 4G. As Rogers appears to plan testing it using 700MHz spectrum--which won't be available until this fall--I'm guessing that the intent is to use 700MHz for LTE (4G) exclusively early on. Since we've yet had an auction of this spectrum, it likely won't be another year or two before 4G networks can begin deployment.
Thanks - that is a very helpful post!

I guess I should see about getting my iPhone 3Gs fixed rather than waiting for a 4G version to upgrade.... :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
The Industry Canada website references the update from the Industry Minister in Nov 2010 with the following quote on the 700MHz spectrum: "..a view to auctioning this spectrum by late 2012."

However, I do believe there has been a request for experimental spectrum testing in this band in advance of an auction based upon a Rogers press release.

"The LTE technical testing will initially use recently auctioned AWS spectrum in the 1.7/2.1 GHz band. Rogers is also working with Industry Canada to secure a development license to use 700 MHz spectrum for the trial as well."

·
Registered
224 Posts
There will be 4G in Canada eventually, but our 3G on all the networks are as fast or faster than the 4G speeds in the US. Sprint and Verizon are really pushing the 4G because they're using CDMA which is very slow compared to T-mobile and ATT's HSPA. And not wanting to appear to be left behind, they're all marketing it as 4G when it's really not.

The Canadian carriers will most likely be more pragmatic about upgrading. They'll wait until they get the same spectrum the US will be using (700MHz). It'll be freed up this summer when analogue tv broadcasts are shut off and the auction sometime in 2012. Then it'll be another year or two before you see real phones with LTE.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts