Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, am a new poster here and have been following optik posts to see if anyone else has similar problem with sound.
I have 430 connected to 5.1 channel receiver with component cable and digital out cable and then component to plasma from receiver. I also have hdmi cable connected directly to plasma so do not have to turn on receiver everytime I want to watch a program. Herein lies the problem/question? When I have the settings for digital audio on 430 set to stereo, I do not get 5.1 channel sound passed through to receiver, via digital audio out. If I select surround sound setting then I do get 5.1 sound. But when surround sound is selected, when I want to watch tv without receiver(5.1) sound, just through tv speakers, I get a distorted static noise from tv with no sound at all. If I switch setting on 430 to stereo then sound through tv is okay but 5.1 sound to receiver when on is lost. Has anyone else experienced this and does anyone have solution, or is this as good as it gets. Everything else is fine. Appreciate any replies, thanks

·
Super Moderator
17,040 Posts
You have to select "Surround Sound" on the STB to get 5.1 sound. The PVR will transmit 5.1 audio on both HDMI and optical.

It sounds like your TV is having trouble decoding the 5.1 audio. Try checking the menus on your TV to see if there is a setting to accept 5.1 audio.

If that doesn't work there are a few workarounds.

1) Connect red/white RCA audio cables from the STB to your TV for stereo sound. You will have to change your TV audio settings to use the analog audio for that HDMI input.

2) If that won't work, you could try using component video and analog audio to the TV and HDMI to the receiver.

3) One other possibility is to switch the the STB audio to "Surround" or "Stereo" as required. A programmable remote like a Harmony can streamline the process.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
problem solved

thanks for your help, looks like it was tv decoding problem, just changed the input on tv to analog from digital and ran a separate stereo cable. Everything is as it should be.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts