Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm trying to use the optical audio out on my 42HDT51 plasma, but it's only sending out 2 channel sound while the input is 5.1 sound via HDMI. I cannot access the Audio settings for the Optical out, the menu does not appear as described in the manual. Anyone have this problem?

BTW, anyone able to use the firewire port on their Hitachi TV to watch HD programs from a STB (Motorola 6200)?

·
Super Moderator
56,566 Posts
Most TVs do not "passthrough" DD5.1 audio. You'll need to connect the digital audio cable directly from the STB to the receiver to get DD5.1 sound.

I believe I recently read that someone was able to make firewire/TV work, however, firewire doesn't give you the IPG information, so you'll need another connection for that.

What are you "inputing" via HDMI?

Please put your location in your profile (hmm, from your "handle" I think I can guess) - it'll help us help you and also include the other equipment "in the chain", but I think I answered your question in the first paragraph anyway.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a Hitachi 42HDT51 Plasma TV and a Panasonic DVD player. The TV has digital inputs for both audio and video as HDMI inputs and Firewire inputs that's it and it's the best input quality. According to the Hitachi manual and Hitachi support the Optical Audio out on the TV is supposed to output 5.1 sound but it is not. When I connect the DVD to the AMP using the optical out I get the full 5.1 sound. There is supposed to be a menu setting in the TV to allow the 5.1 pass-through when the optical cable is plugged into the TV but my menu does not show that selection.

·
Super Moderator
56,566 Posts
...Perhaps from the built in Tuner, or via Cablecard, but not "passthough"...

This issue comes up for discussion a lot in the US because a lot of people have purchased TVs with HDMI in and optical out (not so common up here because people mostly buy HDTV monitors, not ones with built in tuners.).

Hope it's not a big deal for you to connect audio from the player (instead of TV) to the receiver... ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funny thing is it is passing through 2.1 sound from the HDMI input when I have my DVD player connected. According to the manual there is a menu where I'm supposed to be able to change that to 5.1 sound but the menu is not available for me, according to Hitachi, the menu becomes active when the optical cable is plugged in, well, I have one plugged in but no menu. I have a service tech coming out to have a look, hopefully he can do something about it. Otherwise I'll have to bug Hitachi to send me a new AV box.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Reply from Hitachi

After many phone calls with Hitachi, they told me that the HDMI input on the television set does not support 5.1 sound and will therefore not output the 5.1 sound. For over the air and antenna broadcasts that are in 5.1 sound however, the digital audio out will output 5.1 sound. Hitachi has not been very clear about this and their technical people do not know this information as well. This is not detailed in their manual or advertising brochures, although they indicate that it handles Dolby Digital Sound.

Hitachi is looking into upgrading my television or refunding my money.

·
Super Moderator
56,566 Posts
JTEdmonton said:
Hitachi is looking into upgrading my television or refunding my money.
If you need an excuse to get rid of the TV, fine, but if you like the TV otherwise, just connect a digital audio cable from the component(s) to the A/V receiver.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,
This is my problem. I have a 50VS810 and I want to setup the digital output from the TV to be heard on my Denon Reciever. The problem is that according to the manual (pg 50) I enter the Audio menu and scroll down past Loadness and I should see 3 more menues. ie: Language/Dolby/DCP, But I DON"T have the choices. Can someone help me out. I'm going from Expressvu 9200 reciever using the HDMI and HDMI into the TV.

JTEdmonton, sounds like your explaining the same situation I'm encountering except with a different TV. Have you found out anymore from Hitachi?
I Contacted Hitachi, but will have to wait until they get back to me as the person on the phone wasn't sure how to fix it.

·
Super Moderator
56,566 Posts
Please read posts 2 & 4. Most TVs do not "passthrough" the signal. The digital audio out is intended to send the TV tuner signal to an A/V receiver, not "pass" a signal from another device, if that's what you're trying to do. Please advise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ah I see now. So yes I guess was trying to "PassThrough" the signal from the Expressvu 9200 into the TV and then Out the Reciever. So all I did was connect directly the Digital out from the 9200 into my reciever and all works as usual. Does this also explain why I don't see the "DOLBY" function in the Audio menu, because I'm using input 1 and not ANT 1?

·
Super Moderator
56,566 Posts
It's probably greyed out until you tune the TV tuner to an appropriate digital channel. If you set the input to ANT (even without a signal), does the menu come up?

·
Super Moderator
56,566 Posts
Perhaps there needs to be a signal. You could try hooking up an antenna (a paper clip will sometimes work) ;) Or you could just let the issue go away, since you now know about the passthrough issue.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guys,

Here's is what I know now:

The digital optical out does not support 5.1 sound through any of the digital audio inputs. It only outputs 5.1 sound from over-the-air broadcasts. The secondary menu only appears when the signal is an over-the-air broadcast.

Hitachi (sales and support) had initially told me the set does support 5.1 output pass-through from the inputs before I bought the set.

The only solution is the run a cable from the 5.1 source to the amp directly. My gripe with the whole situation is I was told that it worked before I bought the set, which I asked specifically so that I could manage my inputs better. Now I may have to buy a new receiver.

·
Super Moderator
56,566 Posts
JTEdmonton said:
Hitachi (sales and support) had initially told me the set does support 5.1 output pass-through from the inputs before I bought the set.
They often simply do not know and therefore "guess" the answer, like a lot of sales/support people do. You're often best to come to a forum like this one. I gave you the "correct" answer an hour after you asked. ;)

Why do you need a new receiver? If you're running out of inputs, perhaps a switch or splitter can do the job.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know, there was a lot of background info that I did not reveal, I have been to San Diego/Mexico where they make the sets and they told me (engineers) that the feature was there. So I heard it from the horse's mouth, anyhow, Hitachi is going to be nice and exhange the set for a 42HDT52 set out of goodwill. At least I will be able to use the firewire (hopefully). I'm gonna do some clean up of my setup so hopefully that will help me manage the inputs without a switcher.

·
Super Moderator
56,566 Posts
The firewire is probably for connecting the internal tuner(s) to an external recording device like D-VHS or a computer, however, you won't be able to receive much with the internal tuners.

See the Digital Home FAQ "Can I get Digital Cable?" Canada doesn't have CableCARD yet, and probably won't for a few years.

Not sure if the firewire is also an "input" as you mention in your first post... Good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm hoping that the Firewire is an input. On my current 42HDT51 it is an input selection under my input menu. However, the TV does not communicate with my cablebox for some reason. The new version is supposed to be more compatible. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'll keep you posted.

·
Super Moderator
56,566 Posts
OK, let us know. Some of the 5C settings on the STB may be "1" instead of "0", which means you won't be able to "See" those channels.

Firewire is actually two-way, but I'm not sure whether the TV is equipped to handle the signal as an "input" from a STB.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I finally got my 42HDT52 and they took back my 42HDT51. I connected the firewire from my cablebox to the firewire port on the TV and voila.. I can watch TV on the 42HDT52 via the set.

There is also one other neat feature, the TV can pass IR signals through the firewire to the cablebox, you have to activate the IR pass-through mode each time though when you choose the firewire input and device. The downside is that you don't see the guide though as that is not output by the cable box through the firewire.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts