Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while browsing through some of the diagnostics screens, I noticed a new screen that I never noticed before, titled - USB. yes there is a dash in front of it, but it gave me usb info about keyboard, mouse and joystick. I decided to plug a mouse in the front port, it saw it, but it said not supported. If I had a usb keyboard or joystick I would try it, but I do not at this time. Wondering if anyone else could try?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Firmware update?

Was there a firmware update this week? I have my Samsung LCD connected via HDMI to both the 4250 and a dvd recorder, and I have always got the "DVI output blocked, press EXIT to continue" message when changing channels with the Rogers remote on the dvd recorder input, requiring me to press "exit" on the STB remote to get the signal on the TV. Yesterday I was setting up the recorder to record a show and I no longer have this issue. It appears they have done something to allow multiple HDMI output to the TV (at least for my set).

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
idunno how you can have HDMI to both devices, theres only 1 hdmi port, do you mean hdmi to your tv and component to another device???

if thats the case, it was never allowed before, it would give the HDCP error, perhaps they did not do a firmware but merely just change some configuration settings?

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
incase you did not read my other post, the TV Call Display pop-up are much sharper, higher resolution and clearer. But only happens when your watching an interactive channel, ie: ROD. Any other channel, the TV Call Display pop-up look like really pixelated and poor resolution. I never noticed if this was the case before, but it looks new :)

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Any idea what other changes may have been made?
On the 4250HD connected to my computer monitor, 4:3 shows are now streched to 16:9. I haven't figured out how to set it back to normal. I do not see the same issue on my PVR connected to my TV. This has occurred since the recent update.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jamesk, how is your STB connected to your monitor, and what resolutions are enabled, and what passthrough settings are configured in the stb? oh and is it a 16:9 or 16:10 monitor? many older widescreen monitors were actually 16:10 not 16:9

plz advise.thx

thanks.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
somehow i see this thread going off topic, but hope someone can move it to the correct thread if necessary.

Another new tidbit I noticed on the 4250HD, it now lists AUTO DVI/HDMI, where as before, it was just Auto DVI.

you can now use component and hdmi together. HDMI out to your TV, and Component out to your Slingbox :)

another last thing I noticed, is if your master power on sequence gets screwed up for some reason and TV powers on but your cable box does not power on either due to interrupting the remote ir beam or the remote got defaulted to TV mode, then the cable box will not show any signal over HDMI when in standby, unlike previously it would show picture, but it would be powered off (blank display or clock display) but you would not be able to change channels unless you pressed power on the cable box. If you tried to turn the cable box on via the remote, you would have lots of problems because the cable macro would try to turn both devices a power signal, so your cable will power on but your tv will power off again. So i think with the standby-off they did not fix the problem, but kinda helped it a little, i too prefer the fix they did, because now family members will not b**ch and whine why they cant change channels, when they see the tv on and the stb off, i will say just push the stb's power and everything will be fine.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Paolo, sorry if I was misleading regarding my setup, you are correct there is only 1 HDMI out from the STB. The 4250 was previously blocking the output to the dvd recorder via composite and then to the tv via HDMI. This only occured when the connection from the dvd was HDMI, not component. It was also not an issue when I had the 4250 connected to the tv via component. I wanted to use HDMI for both to make it tidier as the tv is wall-mounted. I can't say as I understand it, but it has changed.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
really? thats weird. I was always able to use Composite video out and hdmi out at the same time since i first took ownership of this box a year ago.. nothings changed, but I do remember having issues using both component and hdmi at the same time, but i tried it now, and it seems to be just fine :)

seems like it was inconsistent before, but now its more streamlined.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
jamesk, how is your STB connected to your monitor
It's a 16:9 1080p monitor connected via HDMI. I have already been through all the settings, both by myself and with Rogers. It was working fine a couple of days ago. This morning, it came up on Ch 01, indicating an update and that's when this started. Also, we seem to have lost that "feature" where it was still feeding audio & video when shut off.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the "feature" where it was sending audio/video when it was off, was not a feature, but merely a Glitch in the HDMI communications in the box. I guess the new F/W fixed it up. as for the SD Stretch, does your HD channels come in stretched too? is it only SD or 4:3? what about a 4:3 show on a 16:9 channel/broadcast? or are they proper aspect ratio? I am actually looking to do the same thing on my end, stretch my SD but keep my 16:9 channels in OAR (Original aspect ratio) but keep it in "Fixed" and not Auto DVI/HDMI

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
The problem was resolved after powering down the box for a couple of minutes and redoing the settings. It is now OK. I was getting streched SD channels and normal HD (with either full width or pillars). Now both are normal, but I'm still missing that "feature". ;-)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts