Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine just moved into EK and told me that he was given 4 streams...3 HD and 1 SD.

Have they bumped up the streams without any fanfare...or is he mistaken?

·
Super Moderator
17,213 Posts
I wonder if MTS is doing field trials with 3HD/1SD or if they have any plans for that.

AT&T in the U.S. is rolling out that profile to customers that are close enough to the fibre-optic node.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mistaken.
Funny...because he had 3 streams (2-HD and 1-SD) in St. Vital, so I know he knows the difference...yet he swears he has 3-HD and 1-SD now in EK.

I'm going over there this weekend...and will find out for sure.

·
Super Moderator
17,213 Posts
If he does have 3HD/1SD, it would be interesting to see how his settings are different from mine.

On the PVR, press:
Menu, Settings, General, System Information, System Resources.

Streams: 1SD/2HD(WAN);1SD/2HD(DEV)
Bandwidth Cap: 24200000(WAN);24200000(DEV)
Remote Playback: 20000000, 1SD/2HD

Menu, Settings, General, System Information, Network Info.

Bps: 3145728

Stats from a PC connected to the modem:
http://192.168.100.254/xslt?PAGE=B02

Downstream Rate: 35000 kbps
Upstream Rate: 2040 kbps
Current Noise Margin: 19.5 dB (Downstream)
Current Attenuation: 15.0 dB (Downstream)
Current Output Power: 13.5 dBm (Downstream) -19.0 dBm (Upstream)

Also, does he live in a house or a large apartment/condo complex that might have its own node?

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well Dave...his settings are pretty much the same as yours...(even to the point where it said: Streams: 1SD/2HD(WAN);1SD/2HD(DEV)...however...

At his place, I had a different HD channel fired up on all 3 HD-TV's.

Not satisfied I went to the main box and started recording 3 HD shows at once...then had him put it on an SD channel...and voila...it worked.

I still didn't believe it, so after about 10 minutes we watched the 3 HD channels that were recording...and all 3 were perfect.

So at this point I don't know what to say...whether it's an anomaly...who knows.

Perhaps an MTS Tech will pop on and enlighten us...if he's allowed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
There's enough bandwidth to get 3HD streams at once, in fact, there's enough to get at least 4HD streams - you could try for a 5th, but that might be pushing it depending on the content of the HD feed (if it's live action, it will use more bandwidth then say, something with a largely static picture). MTS doesn't offer more then 2HD/1SD because they've dedicated a portion of that bandwidth to Internet usage (whether you have Internet with them or not). They will also tell you that their research shows that the majority of households only use/require 3 streams (although I think this is flawed, and doesn't include a household where a PVR may be using additional streams). MTS limits the accounts in Microsoft Mediaroom to 2HD/1SD - so if he's getting 3HD - I'm guessing one of his MTS boxes is on someone elses account and not his, that or there's some sort of glitch. Can he access his recordings remotely from all Set Tops? or does one not show the list?

·
Super Moderator
17,213 Posts
@davidb1, even if the boxes weren't all on the same account, that wouldn't explain why the PVR recorded 3 HD streams while watching 1 SD live on the PVR.

Based on my stats and my checks with Wireshark:

Lightning Internet 7.5 Mbps
Modem Downstream Rate 35 Mbps
Bandwidth allocated to PVR 25 Mbps
3 HD * 6.8 Mbps ... 20.4
1 SD * 2.7 Mbps ......2.7
Total ................... 23.1

4 HD * 6.8 Mbps ... 27.2
5 HD * 6.8 Mbps ... 34.0

I also recorded 1 hour of CNNHD talking heads and checked my disk space before and after. It looks like it uses the full bandwidth regardless of the content. My guess is the encoders are optimized to get the best picture possible within the bandwidth allocation.

I don't know what the minimum speed that MTS require before provisioning TV, but I don't see why they don't assign a 3HD/1SD profile to those lines that can handle it. Assuming I have a fairly standard configuration, that profile would only require 30.6 Mbps for TV and Internet. Admittedly, having different profiles can cause confusion and hard feelings among those subscribers that can't get the highest profile.

As a point of interest, AT&T, Bell and Telus all allocate 4 streams where conditions permit.

·
Super Moderator
17,213 Posts
Thanks mtsguy. I wonder if one of the test areas is near Oakview in East Kildonan. ;)

Does it make sense that 4 streams would work when Mediaroom still reports a max of 3?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Are the HD streams only 6.8Mpbs? I thought I read on this forum that MTS doesn't apply any additional compression and that the feed from the headend is 9Mbps.

I have noticed more motion artifacts lately but I haven't been watching much TV and thought it was just that program. Maybe additional compression has been applied which would be disappointing since the picture quality was a big improvement from Shaw.

·
Super Moderator
17,213 Posts
MTS uses MPEG-4 compression which is about twice as efficient as MPEG-2 which cable and sat uses. I'm fairly sure the 6.8 is correct, but I could be misinterpreting the Wireshark captures.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts