Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 4.1 update is out for the new Apple TV 2. 4.1 enables Airplay and it works! I've just streamed a video from my iPad and some test pics and all good. Netflix also shows an HD logo now in the movie descriptions but I'm not seeing anything for the 5.1 support yet. Anyone else tested?

P.S. 4.2.1 update also out for iPad, iPhone and iPod. Required for Airplay. Cheers!

James

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Reports seem like it might fix my "wobbly picture via HDMI->DVI problem". That seems like a major breakthrough. However I won't have time to test for myself until tomorrow night at the earliest.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Airplay works fine with Photos and Video from your library. You can choose "airplay" when viewing video content (from websites for example) but it only sends the audio portion, not the video ?!? I haven't tried it with AirVideo or other apps, but I suspect the same behaviour.

Also, it sends the video from your library in its native resolution/size - I couldn't find a way to zoom or stretch like you can on the iPad.

Pictures come across looking very nice. Nice way to show off photos in your living room. You sit there with your iPad on your lap, and swipe to change pictures (it shows on both the iPad and the TV simultaneously - unlike video).

Need to play with this some more.

·
Registered
79 Posts
What version does your Atc show?

My Atv 2 says version 4.0. And o/s version 4.1 build 1145. (8m89)
And the update procedure says it is up to date.

But no video airplay....

Just want to know what version shows for those that downloaded via regular software upgrade path

(NOT those that downloaded the firmware directly and pushed it to the atv via iTunes)

Tia

·
Registered
79 Posts
Okay, never mind.

The update finally appeared to work this morning. I wasn't the only one having problems obtaining the update as I see on the Apple support forums others who were in the same boat. However, I checked this morning and applied the update.

Only tested the Airplay briefly from an IPAD - worked fine.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
You can also stream music/video from your PC using iTunes. Works the same as on the iPad - lower left icon to select Apple TV or PC.

Works great to stream to your TV - less convenient that with the iPad, but good nonetheless.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts