Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
This is something I might be interested in. Just as the article states, I loathe current 3D cos I already wear glasses and wearing the 3D glasses is just too uncomfortable. (And they're stupidly expensive too.) So I'd be down with this. Depending on how convincing it is, of course, and how pricey it is!

cheers,
supervij

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
The parallax barrier tech that Nintendo is using for the 3DS only works at short distances and well-defined positions (relative to the screen). It's ideal for a hand-held platform, but not for a home-theater.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
So it will just turn my 50 inch plasma into a giant NDS! :eek:

·
Super Moderator
11,135 Posts
OK then I'll change my answer to Lenticular lens. ;)

Philips discontinued the sales and production of the 42-inch 3D display (model 42-3D6W02) in March 2009. Its main goal of stopping production and sales is to be able to arrive at an industry wide standard for encoding and delivery of 3D content to 3D TV's.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WOWvx

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Although, a while back they unveiled 21" monitors using multi-parallax technology. From the brief description it sounds similar to the 3DS but with more viewing angles. However, I think that the way it works, one eye sees one set of pixels, and the other sees another set of pixels, so the image resolution is half of the display resolution. With multiple viewing angles, I have a feeling the resolution is cut down even more. This probabky would only cut down the horizontal resolution, which we rarely discuss since we take it for granted. You 1080x1024 display would only produce a horizontal resolution of 512 for a single-angle parallax barrier display. So to get 1024 resolution with 4 viewing "area" I guess you'd need eight times as many pixels -- and that's a lot of $$$.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Not to turn this into a rant but instead of making new 3D TV's, why can't they start putting out 3D movies for those who have already bought them? I mean only 4 cartoons in 3D??!!

I'm sure they could go in the archive and transfer all the 3D movies that have come out over the years. Sheesh.

·
Registered
547 Posts
So doesn't this hurt current 3D sales? Given the option of with or without glasses, I know what I'd pick. I'm also thinking that a few 1st gen. 3D TV buyers are thinking, "Oh, sh*t. I just spent all this $ on something that might be obsolete soon."

·
Banned
155 Posts
Speaking as a recent 3DTV purchaser, part of me does say "ah crap, I just bought this and it was supposed to last" but then part of me realizes two things.

1. This is Toshiba.
2. I expect a sub HD resolution and very limited viewing angles.

To be honest I do expect glasses free 3D to be the norm but figure it will be many years off. I will be quite miffed if this does turn out to be on par with what I have now but I just can't see (despite their suggesting they are looking into it) Sony or Samsung or Panasonic - after getting behind the current technology while Toshiba was developing theirs during the same window - abandoning it this fast.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
How many 3D movies do you have?

·
Banned
155 Posts
I have 2 movies. Cloudy wth a Chance of Meatballs & Monsters vs. Aliens. Also have some downloaded PS3 demos & the new Motorstorm 3D Rift. Games are awesome but movies, I could use more of.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
this is great news.. but as a late HD adopter (after bluray won the war) 3D has me sitting back waiting.

The cost is an easy reason to sit back but the need for glasses was/is a major issue.... But probably the thing that annoys me the most is the huge lack of HD channels on TV.. i mean i just want to subscribe to HD. But its impossible.. now we add a 3d alternative and we now have SD,HD,3Dwith glasses and now 3D without glasses.. So far the SD users get the most channel choices! and they pay the least! :) Does adding 2 forms of 3D to TV help anyone that wants non SD only options.. Now money is spread across 3 premium choices.

Maybe one day... We can subscibe to 100% SD or HD or 3D... but i think its going to take years now that new tech has come out again

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The various formats are getting confusing. My old Sony Trinitron hooked up to Rogers HDTV PVR works brilliantly. The HD Channel picture quality is very good on the old CRT surprisingly and SD looks great as well. I will wait for the non glasses 3D TV before upgrading.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
We won't see these 3D TVs in large sizes with good IQ for more than 5 years. The off-axis results from LCD will look like GOLD compared to these new type of TVs. This reminds me of the OLED fad where there is the initial craze and then reality sets in and manufacturers (Sony & Toshiba) scale back TV production plans.

If anyone is purchasing a new TV today they should definitely consider one of the 3D models as they have an upgraded picture for 2D as well. The better 3D models have faster refresh rates and in the case of Plasma less phosphor lag. By the time a viable 3D model without glasses becomes available it will be time to replace your TV anyways.

·
Registered
543 Posts
This reminds me of the OLED fad where there is the initial craze and then reality sets in and manufacturers (Sony & Toshiba) scale back TV production plans.
It's not fad, the OLED tvs blow LCD/LED and Plasma out of the water(both in quality and power-savings), they're just expensive and difficult to produce, which it why they're taking to long to come out. 2 models have been confirmed for sale by Christmas though, so they are coming, if slowly. Once they can get the production line going, and the prices come down(think about how long it took Plasmas to come down to where they are now compared to when they first came out), the OLEDs will absolutely rule the television universe. bwuahahah;)

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2009/01/lg_oled_tv0000.jpg:p

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
It's not fad, the OLED tvs blow LCD/LED and Plasma out of the water(both in quality and power-savings), they're just expensive and difficult to produce, which it why they're taking to long to come out. 2 models have been confirmed for sale by Christmas though, so they are coming, if slowly. Once they can get the production line going, and the prices come down(think about how long it took Plasmas to come down to where they are now compared to when they first came out), the OLEDs will absolutely rule the television universe. bwuahahah;)

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2009/01/lg_oled_tv0000.jpg:p
We are still 5+ years away from large OLED TVs for the mainstream.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts