Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I play movies I downloaded on my 3D TV? I get a warning saying I can only play 3D movies through my HDMI inputs but could it be possible to play from my computer if i'm using my serial port if say i'm using some sort of software? NVidia software or PowerDVD or something?

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
You would need an HDMI input on your PC's video card (and a card that supports 3D output). The standard 15-pin VGA port will not work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ahh thanks guys... sounds like I need a new video card! can anyone think of a card with HDMI that I could probably get used or not used but at a good price?

thanks...

·
Registered
751 Posts
If your PC has a DVI video out port, you might be able to use that, with a DVI to HDMI cable or adaptor.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
That won't work. You would need a card with an HDMI 1.4a compatible output. This limits you to cards such as the nVidia GT430 or better. For AMD cards you would need at least the Radeon 6450.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all!
I did find an DVI to HDMI adapter but it sounds like that won't work? How do you know this BGY11?
Also, once I do that... and get the PC to TV connection set up what is some of the best software to compile the two streams of video into 3D?

·
Registered
751 Posts
That won't work. You would need a card with an HDMI 1.4a compatible output.
Actually, it depends on the 3D format used in the downloaded movie. HDMI 1.4a is only needed for full 1080p frame packed format, as used for Blu-ray 3D. In this case, the above quote is correct.

If the movie file uses a lower resolution "side-by-side" or "over-under" format, as used with broadcast TV 3D, then using a DVI output should be possible, after setting the TV to the match the format.

I haven't searched, but it's possible that there might be some software out there that can convert 1080p frame packed format to one of the others so that DVI could be used (albeit with some loss of resolution and quality).

dragotron mentions that there are two streams of video; presumably the left eye stream and right eye stream. I've never tried it, but it looks like Bino could convert to a format that would work with DVI to HDMI output.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts