Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Channel 900 issues.

Just an educated opinion here, but 1) I doubt there will only be one 3D channel, 2) I doubt it will stay on channel 900 and 3) I doubt that the Lobby Camera issue will be an issue for very long.

The reasons for my opinion are:
1. More 3D content will become available, probably including VOD services at some point, which would entail other channels being needed.
2. Channel 900 is between Multicultural Programming and Radio Stations. It would make more sense to be around the 500s as that is where the HD Content is housed.
3. My take on it is that the lag time between availability of consumer 3D equipment and availability of 3D broadcasting was a lot less than normal. This would be why the network wasn't updated enough to take that amount of bandwidth. But, in the GTA alone, there would be a huge percentage (25+%?) of Rogers' customers living in Apartment/Condo buildings with Lobby Camera systems. To shut out these subscribers from access to 3D for all time (as seems to be the hyperbole here) would be disadvantageous to the company.

·
Premium Member
4,114 Posts
The main problem with 3D TV isn't necessarily the TV because you can watch non 3D content on it but the glases themselfs averagew $200/pair and depending on the TV you get you get either 1 or 2 pairs, you have to buy additional pairs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Ya.. It is expensive, but i hear that some people go buy them from best buy or future shop, and return them within 30 days. this way they can have an extra pair or two once in a while.

As for the inevitable, which is that yes, rogers will get more 3d channels, and yes VOD or pay-per vu may be first, but I simply went with what was functioning at this moment. I have a 3d TV. I know that once in a while they will post a special or sporting event, and I want to have that option when it comes around. Since this is the only medium other than 1 or 2 3dblu rays, if i have no access to the channel, than 50% of my resources are killed.

It cost me nothing off my back to switch, and on top of it, I am saving money, and enjoying the better user interface within the bell digital box.

Anyways anyone else live in a lobby cam building and has a working channel 900???

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi,

I feel that Mythorn has well defended reasoning.

I also cant help but notice that 3D capable unit products do not come with scary up-charges for an arguably new technology.

As an early adopter I got a Tosh 65in & prog scan DVD in Oct 2000 for about $8000cdn installed and ISFd.

I am selfishly hoping that Rogers and other upstream providers will heavily promote the addition of 3D channels.

Hopefully & selfishly this will encourage manufacturers to advertise all of their 2012 products as 3D capable which might have a side benefit for my hope that many will follow Mits offerings of large screens in the 80in plus range, which keep me from entertaining the idea of getting a 3D projector and having to reverse my space challenged HT.

Peter M.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
How come your 900 doesn't have self serve access like in NB?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Channel 900 Ottawa (Sandy Hill)

Just had folks coming in from Rogers today (this is the 4th time they came in). Couldn't fix it, so still having a black screen.
They said it's the lobby camera and the 3D channel both operating at exactly the same frequency. Showed me the jumpy noise level on the HD box in the debug mode while on channel 900.
If all lobby cameras in Ontario operate at the same frequency, wonder why Rogers made the decision to broadcast 3D channel on the same frequency.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Lets be fair here. I beleive that it was an honest oversight when they first set it up. The main concern here is that they claim that they have no reasons to look into it, and that this is the way it will be.

It does not matter if 3d is not popular or not. The fact that they are publicly stating that they are not attempting to be pro active, and support this new technology only shows wherre Rogers priorities are. This should be at the top of their list. Heck, not only is it not at the top... it isn't even on their list.

They are not attempting to fix this or resolve it for the future, so why would anyone stay with this company.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Rogers officially announced that they would not look into it & that that's how things will stay? Or did they tell you that they are aware of the problem on channel 900 & lobby cameras but there is no fix planned? As someone pointed out earlier in this thread it is likely there will be multiple 3D channels in the future & not on Ch 900. If a special event comes up in the future I can't imagine it is all that hard for Rogers to put it on a channel other then 900, now that they are aware of the issue some people have with 900.

Rogers & other companies know there is no such thing as brand loyalty so why would they spend time & money to solve a problem for such a small % of customers, which is a temporary issue anyways.

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
Channel numbers have nothing to do with the QAM frequency, which could be the same for the lobby watch channel as channel 900.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Channel numbers have nothing to do with the QAM frequency, which could be the same for the lobby watch channel as channel 900.
exactly. They said that they put the 3d channel online, and it wasnt realized till afterwards thaqt they are sharing the same frequency. They claimed that they picked this frequency because they had no more room for anything else.

I realize that a good part of this is just nonsense, but the principle still stands that they are claiming to do nothing to fix this.

They have no time to fix these things, yet they were sure to use up some of their resources to come today and put a filter on my cable line so that my internet is the only thing coming through.

So I dont have basic cable free anymore, yet now my 3dtv gets all the digital music channels.

And I dont have lobby channel anymore,

This is my building. The lobby cam is here and featured as a perk for residing in this building. If rogers does not give me access back to my Lobby cam very soon, they are going to have a lawsuit on their hands. And I do have the resources to do this.

They have done some very unlawfull things to me in the past week or so.

TO ALL:

ROGERS IS A HORRIBLE COMPANY. THE STAFF ARE SELFISH AND RUDE. THE TECH GUYS THAT COME TO YOUR HOUSE EITHER DONT SPEAK ENGLISH, THEY ARE RUDE, OR THEY DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.

ROGERS DESERVES TO GO BANKRUPT, AND MANY OF THEIR EMPLOYEES DESERVE TO LOSE THEIR JOBS.

And i said many of the empployees, so dont reply yelling at me. I have justification for these comments.

They refused to cancel or downgrade my plan because they knew I wanted to cancel.
Even the Head of Customer Relations has not taken care of anything.

I will be posting her direct numjber and extension for aanyone who has a problem, since it is a hard number to get access to, and you are only supposed to talk to them after lots and lots of problems with the junior staff.

This lady deserves to be fired also.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Have you posted a question in the Bell Entertainment forum to see if other people using the service get their lobby cam channel? Try this thread:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1133363.
Im not exactly sure what you are asking..

The decision making to go with Bell vs Rogers has nothing to do with the Lobby channel. One thing now is because of their horrible, rude, insulting, and beligerent methods. The main thing is the 3d channel access.

Firstly, Bell would not have the same issue because they all run on different systems.

Bell really does not have anything to do with lobby channels.
I am sure that in some or even, many circumstances, Bell has set up systems to involve a buildings lobby security cam on a channel.

One example: You move into a comdo unit. And under the condo agreement, you have 2 choices for providers. Either Cable (Rogers), or should you want to go with a satelite service instead, you MUST go with the IN-HOUSE system. Meaning the unit will not allow you to install your own dish on the outside of your building. You must use the system that they had installed. If they chose Bell, Bell would have put up some dishes on the roof or one big one. And run equipment through the building (or as needed) so they can simply wire up a Bell Digital Box and you are good to go. In this specific circumstance, Bell would have done something internal within the building, and imported the lobby cam onto their system (But restricted to this building only)

There is now way, anywhere, that a simple subscriber can order a Bell TV system, and have the lobby channel working on it, unless the user themselves installed their own equipment from the cable line to the bell box, which is possible, and has been done.

In my case, I spoke with a (surprisingly) very friendly and helpfull rogers repair guy, who ordered a tech to come back to building and fix my line. They fully intended on canceling my basic cable service, but they make sure to allow the internal buiildings lobby channel to pass through their filter. In my case they screwed up....

Whats new about that. Im not surprised at all.

So here I am, not even a cable subscriber anymore. Still having to wait at home monday from 5pm-8pm for a rogers tech to come by.

Isnt the life with rogers fantastic.

Anyways. So I knew this much going into the proccess of ordering BellTV. I have PIP on my tv so while I am watching satelite, I simply press the PIP button when my lobby calls my line and see whats up.

No problem there. Just wasnt really sure what you were asking. And i think the thread you referenced had something top do with the scenerio I just exsplained.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I was just curious if you asked in the Bell Entertainment forum (Fibre TV) if anyone has a working lobby cam channel, & provided you with a link where someone has asked the question. At the time people were unclear if it does or does not support it, but with more people now using the service it doesn't hurt to post in that thread & ask. The example you use is Bell Sat. not IPTV (Fibre TV) & are totally different services run by the same company. In post 35 you said you had Fibre tv installed so I assume that's what you have.

It may be Rogers fault as they could have blocked the lobby cam signal in error I guess, but it could also be the Bell IPTV service doesn't support it yet. It doesn't hurt to check.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
ok... this is what i am doing...

I have bell on my 3dtv

This is one cable going from satelite directly to hd box directly to tv.

Now I also have cable jacks in my wall hooked up to the cable infrastructure within the building. Bell has nothing to do with this. These systems are isolated.

Rogers said that they definitly did come by and put a filter on the line, which should allow the internet frequencies, and the Rogers home phone frequencies, which i think are both the same.

As of the moment they disconnected basic cable, and the lobby channel was working, it instantly stoped working. And yes, I checked every single channel.

This I was doing on seperate CRT televisions. so bell's system has no effect on this.

The repair guy claimed that obviously the guy screwed up so we are sending someone to fix it. Worst case scenario, if they must take all filters off, and allow me to have free basic cable in order to let the lobby channel through, they have no choice. They have to allow this through. These were their words.

Im not worried. This will definatly get fixed. If not. I will get the cable closet key from the Lobby Office, and take the filter off myself.

And - I do not have fibre as of yet. Still waiting for them to let me know... any day now.. im calling bell right now to ask about anything they know about lobby channels on any of their services

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
And they came for the apointment, called from downstairs, never came up, and said i have to order basic cable and pay for it since there is no signal going into my place, and the only way to get a tech to come is if I have service.

Well I have internet service with them. So I explained to the guy that he was feeding me crap since I know for a fact that i have rogers signal making it in here or i would not have cable.

He didnt respond and we ended the conversation or I would have started yelling.

So they are intentionaly blocking and filtering out my local buiildings signal from my unit.

Updates people

Anyone with a lobby cam have channel 900.

And since I never had it, whats on it?

Sky in UK is starting their official 3d channel october 1

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi noleng,

From how I understand your posts, you discontinued your digital service, keeping your Hispeed. You are trying to get the lobby channel on your digital box on channel 998 (or whatever). Is this correct?

If so, that's why it won't work. When you discontinued your digital cable, the digital box would stop decoding signals. You should run a cable directly into your television and tune to channel 58 (lobby camera on analog service).

If that doesn't work, it may be due to the Bell signal not having the injector on the line to insert the lobby camera channel. You can try (as a test) using the coax line from your hispeed modem into the television. That should allow it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
ya.. thanks. anyways. I realize my digital boxes wont work. I was running direct cable and it was working. until they went to our main closet and put the filter on it.

I had somewhat basic cable, and the lobby channel working. they cut my basic cable off, left my internet signal, and thats it. no lobby channel on any outlets. and bell has nothing to do with it.

i never would try to hook up my bell system to think i would get cable, because my apartment complex is not running the lobby cam trhough bells satalites. I know this would not ever work

rogers is screwing me over.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Oh, ok, I was unclear on how you had things hooked up, sorry.

If your building is being dual-fed by both Rogers and Bell, then the following might be the issue:

In such a situation, there are lines leading up to each unit (some buildings have one, some have 2 or 3 per unit). These source feed for these lines is switched out, depending on which provider you have. I believe what has happened in your situation is that the line leading to your living room area is the one that was switched to Bell's feed (or at least, removed from Rogers' feed line - not filtered!). That would stop the lobby camera from getting to that outlet. Since the other line(s) were not disconnected, that is why your internet link wasn't affected. Now, so far as I know, the companies in question will not allow a dual-feed and that is why the Rogers tech wouldn't reconnect that outlet to get the lobby camera. However, as I mentioned in the previous post, if you run a split (or temporarily disconnect) from the internet line, you should be able to get the lobby cam - not the best solution, but worth it to see if I am correct. If that allows the lobby cam through, then just get Rogers to come out to do it in a more aesthetically pleasing way!

41 - 60 of 92 Posts