Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
@noleng, I'm glad someone is picking a fight with Rogers over this. I'm in Markham and have the same issue - channel 900 is black. I'm in a townhouse attached to a condo so the signal is going through the main condo switch and may be affected by the same 'security cam' problem.

However I did have a similar issue with a different channel and after several rounds of system changes and tech visits Rogers did something on the main condo switch to enable it. Channel 900 is likely a different issue though given how widespread it is but I'll keep bugging Rogers over this.

Do you know what content is available @ Bell on their 3D channel?
well. regardless, I have bell TV being installed on tomorrow, cause at least i will have access to their 3d channel, and any more to come in the future, whereas Rogers simply screwed us over up here in the Northern Toronto area. I also have rogers coming to pick up their equipment tomorrow.

Bells channel has demo videos as well. Although I hear that once in a while they play some things. Like the World Cup Games, When the Queen came to visit, and it will simply get better very soon.. Way quicker that Rogers seems to think that they need to act in order to satisfy their customers. I paid them on average 400-600 dollars a month. And if that is not good enough for them to work on a problem that I am having than they don't deserve my money, or anyone else's.

They don't care about the little people.

Bell also claimed that they would have a PPV channel in 3d by years end, with movies and such.

Also, After speaking with Rogers to cancel most of my services today, I had them look at my history and records, and i asked what was there in regards to the problem that I called about with the 3d channel not working.

She said that the work order was closed, as if they simply fixed my issue.

The end.

Who else is getting a black screen on 3d channel. The fact that if you called in about it being a problem, 90% of the staff don't even know about the channel, and the rest claim it is a simple signal issue. They have no clue. I also wasted 8 hours of my time with these rogers tech people at my house for 2 days.

All just to find out that I don't have access to their 3d channel, and I may never gain access to it unless I move.

·
Registered
119 Posts
For what it's worth, I see the dual displays on channel 900 here in Western Mississauga (Winston Churchill/Britannia). No 3DTV here, just an HDTV and SA8300HD.

Also, I'm in a townhouse condo, so no lobbycam.

Good luck with the with fight with Rogers (if your decision to ditch is not already final); I hope the risk of losing your business (and whoever else) helps tip the scale toward them actually doing something... though I wouldn't hold my breath. :(

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
thanks... but just like you, I don't have much hope anymore... I don't think that I ever really did. Unfortunately Bell can not supply me with the high speed INTERNET that I need, so I am stuck with Rogers for that, and I also have a small contract for one of the netbooks w/rocket modem built in.

At the end of the day, I need to make sure that my technical needs are still being met, so that means that I must stay with rogers for the net access, but this is not by choice at all anymore.

Don't get me wrong. If in 3 months rogers had 10 3d channels and bell only had 2, well of course I would go back... but we know this would not happen, and this is assuming that my cable line finally is getting the 3d stream.

anyways.. I still want to know who else is getting screwed over by this unprofessional fumble on Rogers part.

More importantly, They said it was only North Toronto. I don't think anybody has posted from downtown within a building that has a lobby cam.

I still can't get over the fact that the Maintenance Department had no further work that they were going to do at this time on the issue.

BTW.. I am saving over 100.00 going with bell.

Rogers has lost what could have been one of their best customers.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
if its just a signal issue on a 3D channel that is only showing previews almost all of the time and I was gonna threaten to cancel because I would miss out, then there most be something wrong with me if I want this so bad. I would say FORGET IT, and STAY with roger. Makes NO SENSE to CANCEL 4 services 3 of which are perfectly fine, the fourth one is fine 99.9 percent also, but the .1 percent which is a friggin PREVIEW CHANNEL, which is not scheduled to show anything majour in the next few months, is a really important channel, that I can't live without rolling previews all day long of some stupid ish.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
whatever paolo... I am not sure what you are trying to say, but I am not insane for switching providers in order to get the feature that i was told i would have, if i spent 3000.00 on this sort of television. it does not matter if the channel is fully up and running or not. They did not tell me that the situation would be looked into any more. This is what the problem was. And I am saving over one hundred dollars so you tell me what makes sense.

and to be honest, all that they probably had to do was tell me that they will be looking into it within the near future. They stated loud and clear that they know what the cause of the issue is at this time, and there is not much they can do about it. I than asked what happens next, thinking that this couldn't be completely over and done with. Not yet at least.

I realize that this is only a demo channel. Realize that is not just for a demo channel. This could be for the entire 3d format, who knows. They wouldnt explain any more. I think its because they dont actualy know themselves. This is why i left. No confidence in a company if the tech department, which is supposed to keep the system ticking has no clue what is going on.

I dont think that bell knows what all this 3d stuff is alleither. But simply, if it works, I'll take it!

Thank you Bell TV :)

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
other companies are just as bad. but if you wanna cancel cus of a demo channel, then so be it,. no bodys stopping you, except you and your train of thopught which is unusual and some what stuck-up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
to each there own my friend.

One thing though, You can not compare The customer service of Bell and Rogers.

And I am now paying 65 dollars, and watching the working 3d channel, and a way better user interface and interactive guide. The only loss is no VOD, though that is changing very soon, but for the price, the better service, and the exact same quiality and channels, I am better off this way. I still give rogers a thumbs up for the high speed internet. This I will not change.

Either way.. back to the topic..... anyone living with a lobby cam, and do you see channel 900... you dont need a 3d tv to see the feed.

Dont worry Paolo........ i am waiting at bell for you to switch over... I pay your first months bill if you do!!!:cool:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi,

Ditto the $600 a month with Rogers. I could have a lobby cam issue also
but the north TO info is bogus. If I was any further south I would be swimming.

Peter M.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'm in Scarborough, in a building with a lobby cam, and channel 900 is black.
Ok... well.. They did state "North Toronto"

And I believe Scarborough is North Toronto, right? So we still can\t assume that this is elsewhere yet. Nobody has posted from any other areas with it black i don't think.

And just to update peter m. Wilson, I now have my Bell TV, and not only is it so much cheaper (for some odd reason) The user interface, and menu is way better, and as for the only loss being that there is no VOD, well that is changing as we speak. Bell is rolling out VOD access to everybody, but it is going up in random areas until everybody has it (probably so the system doesn't get overloaded at first) So if you join me, your $600.00 will go down by at least 10-20%.

And with the new laws in Canada in regards to canceling on contracts early.. It is around 100.00 if I leave halfway through my agreement, but why would I. I shouldn't\t really say this in the Rogers forum, but, hey! They asked for it.. Bell is Great

And on top of it all. I get through to the correct department every single time, within seconds. And I am off the phone before a rogers CSR would have pulled up my account (which always takes 2-5 minutes)
I can tell that the Bell employees (all have been females so far) are happy at their jobs. One could tell that they are smiling while on the phone.

I shouldn't assume, but not putting all the blame on these CSR's.. I simply don't think that Rogers keeps the re-pore up as much as almost any other company.

Keep the updates coming guys. Thanks again to all that have taken the time to check and post.

And BTW guys.. I am trying to keep it respectable in here, but you should know that Rogers has refused to cancel my service until the hardware is in their possession. I offered to pay for the equipment rentals till the end of the month but to cancel my cable. She said no. And then when I turned the situation around and said OK. I will keep the cable, just downgrade my services to basic. She also said No.

This might be taking a very legal turn today. They are refusing to disconnect my service, and it has already been authorized by someone else the day before. Remember. I'm not leaving the country. I still have INTERNET, and wireless rocket netbook. They have entirely hijacked my account and will not do anything.

No fear though people. I have been in contact with the Corporate Headquarters, which took me a whole 45 seconds to get in touch with, and my account issues will (they better be) resolves soon. As for now. I am attempting to judge the quality of both services by putting both my rogers and bell TV boxes on an identical channel, and switch inputs among them. So far nothing is on TV that is helping the judging.

But I would like to thank the very rude CSR (i know her agent number and name, but we wont post it) for letting me keep my entire subscription package through the weekend. Now I can record up to 4 different channels between the two systems! :)

Ok... back to the threads mission. Once again.

Anyone with an HD Digital box. Go to channel 900. If you get a black screen let us know your location, and if you are in a housing unit with some sort of Lobby Cam.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hi,

Ditto the $600 a month with Rogers. I could have a lobby cam issue also
but the north TO info is bogus. If I was any further south I would be swimming.

Peter M.
Just noticed this on a double take. I can only assume you live downtown, near the lakeshore. I am curious where your black signal is from. And do you have any sort of lobby cam.

If so. I'm not sure what to do with this information. As I will obviously be in direct contact with the proper people come Monday, I guess I should let them know that their little issue has grown to a city wide issue.. or simply random, and spotted ?!?!?

They really don't deserve to know at this point. Let them figure it out on their own. But for the sake of my fellow subscribers that are paying way to much for their cable with a Caveman operating system/user interface, I should help them at least get a bit more for their dollar!

WE NEED MORE LOCATIONS.. Come one... all you people in apartments all over the city. I know you have High Definition boxes.

You do not need a #D TV to actually see the screen and the video and images. It will simply be either all blurry, or in Rogers case. It will be a double image. One beside the other.

I want to know about the people that either live in North Toronto (or close) that have lobby cam and it works. But more importantly

We need to know about people everywhere that it simply does not work. You will have a black screen. It will not say UNAUTHORIZED like in a normal situation. It will simply be a plain black screen.

But don't worry cause you can still keep watching your neighbours walk in and out of your building!!! :)

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
I'd be curious to know why you think Bell is rolling out VOD over satellite. That's not really the purpose of this thread, but I'd put money down that you're wrong.

Furthermore, I find this whole anti-Rogers pro-Bell crusade to be rather pathetic. If you think the sun shines out of Bell's proverbial behind, then I recommend you head over to the Bell forum and take a good read through the rants thread. Enjoy your first bill - I'd also put money down that it'll be wrong and you'll spend months fighting with them over it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I'd be curious to know why you think Bell is rolling out VOD over satellite. That's not really the purpose of this thread, but I'd put money down that you're wrong.

Furthermore, I find this whole anti-Rogers pro-Bell crusade to be rather pathetic. If you think the sun shines out of Bell's proverbial behind, then I recommend you head over to the Bell forum and take a good read through the rants thread. Enjoy your first bill - I'd also put money down that it'll be wrong and you'll spend months fighting with them over it.
yes.. lets not get off topic. But I would not post something that is not true. I am well informed.. especially of services that I pay for.. which is why I am not with rogers any more.. but if you are interest.. here are a couple links.

Keep in mind.. It does not work the same way it does with rogers. You do need to plug your phone jack in.. but not for data transfers.. It is to authorize purchased content. And I do not know.. but I think that the hard drive in the PVR units may be needed in order to hold some of the data...

http://support.bell.ca/en-on/Fibe_TV/Pay_per_view/How_to_subscribe_to_Video_on_Demand

Actually as I am posting this.. The Fibe TV is what it is I think.. So Im not sure if they work together, or if I need more equipment. All I know is that I am with Bell for TV, and I will have VOD.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Y I got fibe coming in the next week. sorry for confusing you., i meant that my televising broadcast provider is providing me with VOD... I died not say that it was coming via satellite.

I guess i can switch my INTERNET once the fiber optics come, but I we will have to wait and see what they do on Monday. Either way. I am very happy with all the additional timer and extra functions of the bell system. The box is way quicker than my rogers Pvr presently.
\

and ya.. lets not get into this.. or if you would like to discuss it, start a new thread...come on guys.... go check out your channel 900. call your friends who live in a lobby cam building and help the cause.. well there is no cause.. but just tell us... thanks people.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi,

Regarding comparisons between Bell and Rogers offerings. It all depends on your priorities.
Bell calls me at least three times a year. Now I stop their presentation as soon as I hear Bell TV and ask them, Can I attach an outboard SATA hard drive to increase my personal recording space. So far it ended the sales pitch.

With regard to Rogers 3D ch900, I have not done all my home work. I live in a Condo on the southwestern most corner of Lakeshore Blvd, ch 900 is black but I have not looked for the lobby cam station which I know exists.

Peter M.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Thanks Peter. Your info helps.

Your lobby cam channel will be around channels 996,996,997,998,999. Maybe even channel 59 if you are directly hooked up to the wall. I think that if you are using a basic digital box, with no HD, these boxes may bot show the lobby channel.

As for your channel 900. Ya, you also cant get the Rogers 3d channel.

Way to go Rogers!! Anybody living in a cheap apartment, or even a High End luxury condo cannot access Rogers 3D TV!!!!!!!

And Rogers also claimed that they have no priorities in fixing this issue, let alone even look into options. They simply said that this is the way it is.

BTW Peter. I have spoken with Bell many times in the last 36 hours, in regards to my new Bell TV system. And as far as they are concerned.. The tech guy honestly told me that they advise to buy their external HD, and if you don't want to buy theirs, you can go out and buy your own. They state that they are told to advise that we should do our best to purchase Western Digital, but at the end of everything the tech guy said we can buy what we want. You can attach via Ethernet OR usb.

At least they give us the option to add our own purchased HD if we want. The user interface is amazing and the digital interactive guide and all its features and timer options is out of this world compared to the rogers system. There is no comparison in this case, but as you said, certain priorities overpower others.

Thanks again Peter
I have a phone meeting with the corporate division of the parent company of Rogers Communication on Monday. This is more in regards to the very improper methods of their Customer Service Reps. Though, I will attempt to bring this 3d issue up, as it was the cause for me to transfer to Bell, and I am sure many more will follow once more programming on the channels starts.. which will be any day now. I see different things on my Bell TV 3D channel all the time

Anyways.. keep the posts coming about your black channel 900, and your location... More apartment and lobby cam channel people with HD boxes please post if anyone has a working Lobby channel, and a working 900 channel.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Note, Fibe TV is not fiber optics. But yes, if you get Fiber you will probably get VOD.
Exactly, and yes I realize that it is not fiber optics.

I am also remembering that when I called in to Bell, I asked her what channel the 3D was on, and as she was looking that up in her system, she was also reading out loud that 3D channel is 1933, and when once introduced, VOD will be on channel 1000,

Anyways... enough about that..

Keep on posting if you have an HD box, check out channel 900, Tell us if the channel is black and what area you are in, be as specific as you can. Thanks to all!

21 - 40 of 92 Posts