Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might be interested in getting one of these cheap 720p 3D ready projectors. The one I have in mind is the ACER H5360 or something like it.

What do I need to see 3D with that projector? Would I be able to connect my 3D Bluray player or would I have to rip the movie to play through a computer? As for glasses, which system do I need, Nvidia or XPand ones would do the same?

·
Registered
115 Posts
if you want to connect your 3d bluray player you would need something like the optoma 3dxl. If you are thinking of going with htpc, you can go the nvidia route or the AMD/ATI route. I chose the AMD route as it is cheaper and well within my budget.

this is my current setup:
Optoma HD66
core i3 530
HIS 5450 radeon
xpand x102 dlp-link glasses

with this setup i can play 3dbluray, 3d mkvs no problem.

I didnt really explore the nvidia route because from what i understand, you would need the 3d vision kit and the placement of the emitter is a bit problematic for me as my htpc is nowhere near my viewing area.

·
Registered
554 Posts
For an nvidia based setup you will need the 3D vision kit, but you don't necessarily have to use the nvidia emitter/glasses. The nvidia system does force you to have their emitter plugged into a usb port in order to enable 3D, however if you're using a DLP display then you can still use generic DLP-Link glasses instead of the nvidia ones.

In my case I have the nvidia emitter plugged into the pc in my office, and use dlp-link glasses to watch the Acer in the theatre. It really sucks that nvidia force you to purchase the kit just to enable the 3D driver, but I'm hoping I can sell the glasses to at least recoup some of the cost. Of course I already had a 3D capable nvidia card in my 3 year old system, so switching to ATI for 3D probably would have cost me about the same amount of money.

·
Registered
115 Posts
ah i see, so you only need the emitter to enable 3d. Originally, i was just using the on-board intel HD gpu and using stereoscopic player in pageflipping mode, it was ok, but the jerkiness of pageflipping mode annoyed me so i went out and bought the cheapest option which is the radeon 5450, i got it for about $40.
Now i can watch 3d blurays with either pdvd 10 or tmt5.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being perfection, how would you rate the 3D you get with your setups? For example Avatar, how does it look on your screen? Any ghosting?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I didnt start out thinking about 3d until a couple of weeks back, i got the optoma hd66 coz it was the cheapest projector that had good reviews.

Since the price of going 3d with my current setup is minimal, i went for it. Watching avatar 3d at home gave me the better experience than i did in the theaters. I am projecting at 130" painted wall, and i think the size gave it that cinema experience. The only downside is, in 3d mode the projector is not as bright as in 2d, going from 2500 lumens to 660. I havent noticed any ghosting/crosstalk in any movies i've seen, not one.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Agreed. I thought Avatar looked better on my home setup than it did in the theatre, and no ghosting to report here either. Personally I'm very happy with the Acer's brightness in 3D mode. I do have a 2.4 gain dalite high power screen and a fresh bulb though, so we'll see how the image holds up once I reach the 2000 hour mark.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I guess I have to add something to the projector to add glasses if I understand right?
I see bundles of 6 and 8 glasses to connect with DLP projectors. The only thing I can't seem to grasp is how they are connected. I downloaded user manuals to try and teach me ut it really is confusing.
Do you use SxS or checkered to see 3D?
Thanks for clearing it out for me.

·
Registered
554 Posts
The DLP-LINK glasses connect/sync directly with the projector, and don't require any additional adapter or external emitter. The way this works is that the DLP projector flashes a white frame on the screen that instructs the glasses when it's time to alternate eyes. The white flash is imperceptible while watching with the glasses on.

For 3D, DLP 120hz 3D projectors will only accept a frame sequential (page flipping) signal, which is why you need to use either a PC or the new Optoma box in order to provide a 3D signal. The PS3 and 3D Bluray players generate a Frame Packed 3D signal format which the 120hz DLP projectors aren't compatible with.

Checkerboard is another method for sending a 3D signal to a display, but I think it was only used on the older RP DLP 3D ready TVs that came out a few years ago. This is why those older sets also need a special adapter to be compatible with PS3/3D BluRay.

And if SxS means Side By Side, then this is actually a method of storing 3D. In this format the 3D image is stored as 2 frames side by side, that combined will use the full resolution of the frame. For instance, video stored as side by side can be shown on any display, but would need to be converted to a frame sequential signal for DLP projectors, or checkerboard for old DLP sets.

Here's an exmaple of a side by side 3D video frame. So, to display this on a DLP projector you need a processor (HTPC 3D movie software, 3DXL) to take the 2 images and send them as an alternating "Frame Sequential" 120hz signal that the projector understands.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was checking to see how much the optoma 3d xl box was. It seems like vaporware. It is/was supposed to be out to buy but there are many forums that talk about the lack of the said device.

With this being said, can I just go out and buy NVIDIA setup, with 2 pairs of shutter glasses, ACERH5360, boot my PC, load up a side by side on it and start watching 3D?

That way, I bypass buying this none existant device.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Do you already have a video card? If you need to buy a new card then it might be cheaper going with ATI. That way you wouldn't need to also buy a 3D vision kit at ~$200, unless you can find someone selling an emitter on its own. But yes, for nvidia just plug the Acer into a compatible video card, run the 3D Stereoscopic setup from the control panel, plug in the emitter when it says to, and you should be watching 3D.

·
Registered
115 Posts
you can bypass the 3dxl if you are using a pc, you can also bypass the emitter if you go with amd. For the price of the 3d vision, you can spend that on dlp-link glasses ($60 each).

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Unfortunately, everything I own is Intel and NVIDIA based. I'm still looking to see which way would be the cheapest way to go....

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Benq MX660

There is a sale on this projector. Does anyone here have one or know if it is a good brand? I have searched for some reviews of everyday joes but it seems to e too new. I have read other Benq reviews and for the most part, it seem like the 3D was sometime finicky. I did read some ways around it but at 499, I think this is in my price range.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well it's done. I finally decided to get an ACER H5360.

After hummming and uhhhhing, I decided to get the ACER. I'm waiting for my glasses to come in and then we'll have to see how good it is compared to my Panny 3D tv. I am aware that one is 720p and the other 1080p but that is not what I'm looking for. I want the most wow experience in 3D.

Hopefully it will look nice on my 144inch screen!!

Thanks to those who answered my previous questions. Very helpful.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Almost there....

Well after loosing too many nights of sleep trying to setup my H5360 and an NVidia without 3D Vision kit, I gave up and tried the ATI/AMD way.

I now have an HD5570 connected to my projector and I have my glasses on.

I use Stereoscopic Player (tried to set it for 3D DLP)to play my mkv converted SBS files. Is pageflipping the only way it will work or am I missing something? When I go in my Catalyst control center, there are no 3D enable like NVidia had. Is there a 3D driver that I need to install or what? Any help is greatly appreciated.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts