Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a lot of research, I had hoped to get a HTC Desire on a 3 year contract with Telus. I spoke with Customer Services about setting up a voice/data plan around the Desire. However, Telus doesn't have any of these phones in stock but they are available at BB and FS.
PROBLEM: I couldn't negotiate a plan with the service rep without entering into a contract first. I then explained to the rep that I had not intentions of getting this phone if I couldn't get Telus to promise to waive the Set Up Fee and give me Call Display free on a 3 year "Voice and Data 65" in advance of heading over to a big box store.

Telus just lost $65 x 36 months because they couldn't / wouldn't find a solution.

·
Banned
328 Posts
This is the same at Bell as I have a friend who has been waiting since day one for an iPhone (and still doesn't have one). Did they say when they are getting more? I got a Desire on the first day and it is an amazing phone, miles ahead of my HTC Hero, hopefully you can wait it out.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Would they be willing to give you that deal if you waited until they had stock? I'm a little confused by your post, was the issue that Telus wouldn't give you what you wanted or just that they just couldn't promise you that deal if you got the phone from Futureshop/Best Buy?

The $35 activation charge is standard practice for most wireless carriers. You can often get them to waive it though.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have heard of the $35 activation fee being waived for valued customers, but never ever have I heard of getting caller ID for free for 3 years let alone even the first month. I think you are asking too much from any carrier in the big 3 and if you are looking for free caller id, then see what koodoo, fido, or virgin has for their data plans.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$35.00 Activation Fee

1st off, I would like to have an HTC Desire, not "I gotta have this phone".

I don't know what kind of 'deal' I could have netotiated if Telus had the Desire in stock. I was hoping to work out a deal regarding activation fees / caller ID or whatever in advance of going down to FS or BB. Then I could acquire the phone on a 3 year term knowing in advance that the costs would be.

The issue that I have is that I wanted to NEGOTIATE before heading off to the retailer. Telus would not do this for whatever reason.

If I were to receive free activation and/or free caller ID or a free trip to the Gulf of Mexico is irrelevant to my complaint.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Telus, Bell, or Rogers does not negotiate their plans or features. Therefore that is why they weren't willing to do so with you. Their prices are set and unless they offer a sale or limited time offer plan all of their pricing and features can be found on telus.com

Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
$35.00 Set up charge with telus

Thanks to all for the feedback.

Note to the Big Three: "Then you better start swimmin' or you'll sink like a stone, for the times they are a changing."

·
Registered
748 Posts
Telus, Bell, or Rogers does not negotiate their plans or features. Therefore that is why they weren't willing to do so with you. Their prices are set and unless they offer a sale or limited time offer plan all of their pricing and features can be found on telus.com

Cheers
I assume what you are saying is the plans and prices for new subscribers are non-negotiable. The same would apply to the new carriers, subject to time-limited special offers of course.

Renewing subscribers can definitely negotiate with the major carriers. The amount of flexibility will depend on length of time with the company, average spending per month and, possibly, factors such as whether the bill is always paid on time. Renewing customers should call their carrier before going to the store; discuss the best deal they can get and have the details noted on their file to be applied when they sign the new contract/buy the new phone.

·
Banned
181 Posts

Cheers
LOL what planet are u on??? Opus9 of course they negotiate, you get the plan but credits and enhancements are all part of a negotiation. I suggest you go to to FF/BB and get the phone and have them call Telus and talk to retentions/customer relations to iron out the finer details you are looking for. They will do that, just make sure you go the hours that retentions are open!!!
Good luck......ooops my bad topherpaquette you are correct, my comments are based on existing accounts....sorry for that mistake!!!!!

If you are a existing account and polite ( you also might have to say that you will leave..... as an example the buyout of an existing Rogers account is always $400.00 if you have 1 to 2 years to go, but never over that amount....but be prepared to leave or be a real good poker player!!!!) and find that something or some better deal is out their they will match it or find a way to give you a credit of some type to help match the difficinancy in the plan that they do not have, so I do not expect something for nothing, just good plans that are so lacking in Canada as compared to Europe and the US customers. topherpaquette if you like to pay more, more power to ya!!!! I don`t.

·
Registered
358 Posts
^^^
Good luck with that. No where in the original post does he say he is a existing customer. Second of all, they do not negociate new customers. I talked to my friend who works for Best Buy Mobile before I even posted my response and he deals with this situation all the time and never has any of the mobility carriers given on their plans or features unless

-new contract features can be comped for a period of a few months only
-existing customers are sometimes offered discounts on their plans based on their payment history
-most of the time with existing customers they will allow you to keep your old phone plan as they are often lower in price and already well suited to that customers needs.

To flat out say go to BB/FS and have them call a carriers customer service / retentions and see what kind of deals they can give you as a new customer is a waste of time. Often times BB/FS already have plans that are better then directly from the carriers (be it price of hardware, 3 months free local calling, Caller ID and voicemail for 3 months, etc) that are not offered by walking into a Telus, Bell, Rogers, or others stores or kiosks.

The best thing to do is shop all carriers to see which one has the features you are looking for. If carrier A has exactly what you are looking for and carrier B wants more to have certain features added to your phone then thats a decision you have to make. If it comes down to a handset that is only available from carrier B then that decision is for the buyer to make. To make any other assumptions that a carrier will bend over backwards for you to give you the plan and features you want for your price is not to be expected.

Outinthornhill - yes I was referring to new customers only

Why does everyone feel like everybody owes them something for nothing?

Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Reply to topherpaquette:

All of the information that you provided regarding how the 'Big Three" operate regarding retentions, new customers, etc. is all welcome information and I thank you.

However to end with the suggestion that everyone wants something for nothing is at minimum, rude. I don't work in customer service but I do deal with clients on a regular basis and I have never felt that my clients wanted something for nothing. If a client doesn't ask, then they likely won't get.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I disagree with what topherpaquette has to say, I've been able to negotiate deals with Rogers and Telus when I was a new customer. I went to the store said what I wanted (free CID, voicemail, early evenings etc) and the guy dialed the hotline number for me and after about a 5min call I was given all the things I asked for for free or a reduced rate.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Of course you can negotiate with retentions. I just got 1 year of free CID and Early evenings without even signing a contract with Telus.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts