After returning from a 2 month holiday (no power) we had only information channels and a call to Technical Support revealed that we had missed one or more software updates. The problem was corrected within 30 minutes and service restored (Software update E655).
Within 24 hours, the receiver completely stopped working (no signal on either satellite) and a lengthy call to technical support was futile. Wanting to avoid a very expensive service call, we tried another receiver and it worked ok. Technical support said the original receiver had a fault and needed to be replaced ($62).
Suffice to say, we suspect the problem may have been with the quality of the previous software update and not a hardware fault on the receiver.
Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated (the new rx works ok).
If a receiver is not connected to the Hydro and the Sat signal for 2 months it will have lost its programming and will only get the free barker channels, that is normal. Missing a software update will not stop a receiver from working, only yesterday I dealt with a 3100 that was on E642, I think it was, several versions older than the current version of software. This receiver is never powered down, so can never update.
If another receiver works in the same location, then it would appear that the defective one has died. This in not uncommon after a lengthy period of storage, especially if there was a chance of it getting damp at all.
I would not be replacing the 3100 for $62 I would be looking for the 6131 on sale for $100, then at least with the addition of an external hard Drive you would have a PVR.
I am not sure if this is discussed elsewhere, but here is my problem.
I have a Model 3100 Receiver, Memorex MV6000 dual deck VCR, and a RCA TV.
Now for some reason when I am recording TV shows, I have to turn the volume up extremely high so that it will record properly, even when the TV is turned off.
I don't believe it is the VCR, because I can play any other tapes that are recorded from other VCR's or even VHS movies and the volume is fine.
Currently my remote is setup so that it controls my TV and Satellite, but it won't work with my VCR. Anyway, I am not sure why I have to turn the volume all the way up to record.
One thing I did notice though is that if I have the volume way up and I go to the menu on the satellite there is a lot of background noise. I am thinking that somehow the volume within the receiver is too low.
Has anyone had this problem before or know how to fix it? I thought maybe if I could somehow control the volume on my receiver maybe I could adjust it, but my remote won't let me as it is set to control the TV volume and I don't know how to reset it.
Oh trust me, I have been to irrate customers who have no signal and the Dish was removed a week ealier when they had the roof re-shingled..... They explained that they thought the Dish was just for the activation process.....lol
So we are having a problem with one of our 3100 receivers. In total we have 2 3100 receivers and one 5900. Two of the receivers are working fine, but the one 3100 receiver in the basement always loses signal. Not sure If I need to adjust the satelite or what. The signal for the Bell TV 91 is usually high, but the Bell TV 82 says wrong sat or not locked on the different transponders. Can anyone help me get started fixing this problem. Thanks
First try moving the 3100 that loses signal to the location of either the 3100 or 5900, and move that rcvr to other location.
If the problem follows the rcvr it would be the rcvr. The LNB connection in maybe the problem, some times the solder comes loose inside or the printed circuit board at that location separates, and it is a quick fix, if you can do it yourself. (I have seen this on many 3100's).
If the problem is now at another rcvr, it is at the location, and I would check for power bars or switches that shut the unit down.
I've searched quite a bit for this unique problem. I added my GF's 3100 to my account via the Bell site and she had it removed from her Bell account even though it's been inactive for 2 years and she was no longer a customer.
I was trying to get it to work and could only get the barker channels. Called Bell and they "hit" it again without success. After 2 more calls it was determined that the smart card was not the updated version so a new one was sent out.
I put the new card in, called Bell to authorize, and now I have no synch with the sat. In checking the signal strength it starts at EV82 then goes to "Default" and checks even then odd transponders. Thinking it may be something odd with my SW44, I took it over to another house that has the basic single dish, non-HD setup - same result.
Called Bell and they had me go through the usual stuff without success. Of course they are willing to sell me a used receiver. The "Default" satellite is new to me.
I'd run a check switch test and than check the signal strength on satellite 91. With a 3100. you will only get a few transponders that work on satellite 82, if that has anything to do with your problem or your diagnosis.
A forum community dedicated to Canadian TV, computing and home theatre owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about home audio/video, displays, troubleshooting, styles, projects, DIY’s, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!