Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently I have noticed that some shows are now 31 minutes long followed by a 29 minute show.

This is causing me problems recording when I want to record a different show than the 29 minute one, if I am already recording another show. That one extra minute is stopping me from being able to record a different 30 minute show because both tuners are already in use for that 1 minute.

Why are these shows 31 minutes now, and what are you doing to get around this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
I've rarely found this to be an issue. I just knock a minute off the first broadcast when I have to. That last minute is usually nothing but graphics. These days it is rare that you even get to see readable credits on the major networks although I notice the image goes to full screen for the production company's logo.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
Many programmes have started early/late or ended early/late for many years. See the following thread from 2004!

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=18207

It's only lately (June) that Rogers has the proper IPG information discussed in the link below:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1650538#post1650538

Options?

- Modify the start or ending time for your recordings when it doesn't affect the programme itself.
- Find another airing of the programme - usually very easy with all the timeshifts available, especially if you search using the Anyplace app or home edition.
- If you don't have the 8300HD, set up a manual recording on the 8642 or 9865.
- Get a 9865 - allows 8 recordings.
- Use On-Demand.
- Go to the affiliate's website and watch there.

Edit - As mentioned many times on the forum, always record the Canadian channel for simsubs to avoid 1 minute recordings and sometimes the Canadian channel even airs a programme that takes 31 minutes on the US channel "on the hour or 1/2 hour".

·
Registered
8,807 Posts
I have also seen this for a number of years. Fox seems to be the worst offender. They also tend to run show content right up to the last minute. Prior to June, I lost the last minute or two of many shows. It can also cause entire recordings to be skipped where shows that fit in a normal time slot would not. 57 made some good suggestions. I've found that Canadian stations sometimes schedule the shows to fit in a regular time slot when US stations do not. The NextBox 3 (9865) is a good solution since it has 8 tuners. I've seen it do weird things, like just record the last minute of a 61 minute show, though.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
That last minute is usually nothing but graphics.
Even back when I was using a VCR, I had to set some shows to record beyond the hour or half hour. I had to do the same with some shows on my 8300HD PVR. With the NB3, I set all programs to add on 5 minutes and no longer worry about some shows. I've also noticed the NB3 starts recording slightly earlier than the 8300HD, so I catch the last few seconds of the previous show, whereas I'd sometimes miss the first few seconds before.

·
Registered
662 Posts
This hour has 61 minutes

There are even some online files of less-popular TV content that are uploaded without including the last minute or so, simply because the uploaders set their DVR timers to end on the hour or half hour.

It sucks to be a pirate. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Its about the only good thing, with this new guide company they are using, that it now covers the 1 min rollovers on some of those stations that air it that way..
(my wife HATES missing the last joke on some of the things like Big Bang, etc due to it).

But I can see how it then can screw up peoples recordings who say have 2 things set to start on the next timeslot, one of them NOT being the next show airing on that channel. :(

I think I have used the extra tuners on the NB3 more for things like this, than anything else.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow! Thanks for all this info! I always wondered why the sitcoms we watch often end in the middle of the last line, like Big Bang Theory. Now I know! I can't believe this has been happening for almost 10 years and I only discovered it now. It took Rogers that long to fix it?

I have an 8300HD and I have been using some of the techniques mentioned to overcome this. I like it when the Canadian channel has the usual start and end time, but I don't see that too often. I use the time shift when available. I have also found myself just skipping a show because I can't record it.

As for modifying the recording start or end time, I don't see how I can do that with the online Rogers Anyplace TV Home Edition. I do all my programming from there. I have a family with diverse TV show preferences and find that some nights even with time shifting, I have to leave some shows out. This makes it all that much more likely that I will miss some shows.

It looks like it may be time to explore the NB3. It could help me catch the occasional sporting event that I miss because I am recording two shows during the game.

Thanks for the responses!

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
^^^^
The online Roger Anyplace does support adding time to the start and end of the show. I often use it. However, there doesn't seem to be anyway to make that the default as can be done on the NB3.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Another couple of things. Sometimes you can find your 2 shows on the same channel so check on other channels just in case.

Also I often see the US channels have the show that last 30 minutes instead of 31. That might not mean anything. (I make my schedule with the help of TV guide site) They might still run 31

I have Bell satellite TV and I also hate those 31 or 1:01 shows.

Bob

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Well, it did it to me again. I had set the PVR to record Bones on Global at 8 and The Blacklist at 10. Bones recorded, but The Blacklist didn't because it actually started at 10:01, not 10:00 as it was when I scheduled the series. Worse still, Global doesn't timeshift this program; it's on at the same time in Calgary and BC as in Ontario, so I've missed it unless I can find it on line. (AAMOF, I think I missed the previous TWO episodes for this same reason.) This is totally unacceptable! If the networks keep messing with the start times, then at least Rogers should accommodate this.

This is an 8300 PVR and maybe the newest ones work differently, but that's no reason why Rogers can't push a software update to fix this.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
The Blacklist didn't because it actually started at 10:01, not 10:00 as it was when I scheduled the series.
I assume this is a timeslot recording. Please delete your old scheduled recording and reschedule it for the new times. Then it will record properly. There are always changes to the IPG that you need to keep on top of. Yes, if the firmware were really smart, it would tell you of this, or change itself, but the hardware is not able to accommodate that level of sophistication, especially when you have put the limit on the start time. Be glad that the 8300HD is as stable and works as well as it does - all you need to do is read the threads on the 8642 and 9865 to see the issues that come with those.

Although I haven't seen PVRs change the start times if you have an "in this timeslot" recording set, it will change the end time if required. Also if you set an "all episodes any time" recording, then the start and stop times will change as necessary. Since it doesn't appear that this programme airs at other times, then the "all times" rather than the "timeslot" option would seem the best option here.

Additional information below:

The 8300HD has the appropriate times for the programming in the IPG now. If you schedule 3 programmes for the same time, there's nothing the 8300HD PVR can do, other than warn you (if the conflict is there when you try to schedule the third) since it only has two tuners. Options are listed in post 3, such as modifying the end time of a programme where you don't lose anything by stopping it 1 minute early. This is under "edit" a scheduled recording, or you can edit the start/stop times when you schedule the recording by moving the curser over to those times. Be thankful that you have the 8300HD which allows you to edit the recording time by the minute - the 8642 and 9865 do not have this - it's 5 minutes minimum.

Another option is to get the 9865 with 8 tuners, so you shouldn't have a conflict. The 8642 would have the same conflict since it only has two tuners.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
It's actually the 8300 SD that I have, but the IPG and scheduling recordings should be the same. I scheduled the next and subsequent episodes of The Blacklist and se that the start time is 10:01 and I'll see what happens. The Mentalist, however is on CBS on Sunday where I have 60 Minutes and The Good Wife scheduled. Those I have to verify and reschedule each week during stick-and-ball seasons because CBS doesn't realize a 1 hour football game can stretch to 5 hours. I then just record everything from 7 pm and midnight to be safe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts