Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed on the weekend (Oct 1) that my 3080 (also have the 3416 & 3400) no longer shows the HD channels that I have subbed. Called Shaw and got a good tech on the phone. Said this was a known bug after the last f/w upgrade and that they (Shaw) would not be rolling back the f/w as it is a done deal.

The ONLY way to watch the HD programming was to use the guide to list the HD channel to be watched, hit the record button then go to the PVR functionality and "watch" the recording as it records. This is a PITA for someone educated and tech savy but now WAF acceptable.

Anyone else get any different respoonse from Shaw?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Try pressing "pause" and "play".

meshmellow

·
Registered
5 Posts
You will have to do this everytime you change the channel though. On a side note that was never a hi-def dct in the first place, now there is simply no confusion about it.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
The 3080 model is a dual tuner SD PVr that had the bonus of a glitch that allowed HD channels to come through in a downcoverted format. Unfortunately with the new guide software it does not allow SD DCT to tune to HD channels.However as meshmellow has indicated if you hit pause then play things will show through fine (another glitch). All of your recordings will also record and playback fine from the HD channels. There is no fix in place currently as the equipment is working as it is designed to (no HD on an SD DCT).

·
Super Moderator
16,885 Posts
Shaw Guru, the way the 3080 worked previously wasn't a glitch - it was a documented feature. Here is what the Motorola spec sheet says:
Records hours of SD, ED and HD programming. (Please note: HD recorded programming will be stored on the hard drive as HD, but output as SD.)

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Isn't it wonderful that 'civilian members' of DHC can tell Shaw employees about the products their company has distributed? I don't blame the employees, I blame the company for not providing the info to them. Are employees expected to look this info up on the manufacturer's website like we do?

·
Super Moderator
16,885 Posts
Jetranger, the 3080 is a relatively obscure piece of equipment and I don't expect someone to know everything about everything. I just happened to recall that feature from when the 3080 was first introduced.

We've all made our share of mistakes. I, for one, appreciate Shaw Guru's contribution to the forum.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
As I said, I don't blame the employees. I, too, appreciate Shaw Guru's info here. I have never owned a 3080 but I know it is capable of receiving HD (mostly because of what I read here at DHC). I restate the fact that Shaw does not equip it's people with the knowledge to do a proper job. The fact that you can talk to 6 different CSRs and get 6 different stories backs that up so I am not taking a shot at Shaw Guru, despite how it sounds.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Remember that Shaw "positioned" the 3080 as the poor mans way to get the HD channels (at SD quality) and advertised it like crazy here in Winnipeg.

It was not a so called bonus feature, but was marketed as capable of displaying HD channels. I bought a few for my parents & aunt's & uncle's who are NOT tech savy and adding a buch of nonsense commands (to them) because Shaw did a major screw up is not the answer. Shaw should make it work or replace them with a box that "just works" without any nonsense extra commands.

Period.

·
Registered
14 Posts
DCT3080 Fails to Display HD Channels

Hi
I have a DCT3080 that has worked for years displaying HD channels properly.
Now, when I go to an HD channel, a message comes up and says I could order this channel by phoning 1-800........etc

If I recycle the power on it, it will display the HD channels for 10 minutes and then blank out.

The tech said that it is not retaining the HD authorization.

Has anyone seen this and have a possible solution.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
There is a thread on this already but here is the short answer. the 3080 is an SD DCT that brought through HD as a glitch in the system. The latest firmware "fixed" that glitch. BUT all ids not lost for you. You can still record off HD and play it back fine or you can simply press the pause button to bypass the on screen message and continue to watch HD channels that way through the buffer. Check for the other thread on here as it has more details.

·
Premium Member
3,309 Posts
It really annoys me when Shaw Employees refer to this HD channel block as a glitch that was patched... At least we know Shaw HQ is good at brainwashing their Employee's.

But if you look at the spec sheet on the motorola website http://developer.motorola.com/docstools/specsheets/DCT3080_Datasheet.pdf/ It states "Supports Standard-Definition (SD), Enhanced-Definition (ED), and High-Definition inputs, creating a Standard Definition only output" Meaning it does support HD feeds and broadcasts them in SD only.

Its just the current version of firmware blocks out HD signals on non HD boxes... that is the issue, and because the 3080 is listed as SD terminal (which it is) the firmware does not know how to differenciate between the different boxes.

So basically we will not get this capability back ever most likely and fine I accept that, at least we have a work around... but this is not a GLITCH that was patched... its just code that is generic for all boxes and there is no easy fix from Shaw's end.

Also there are MANY other "Glitches" Shaw should be patching first

Apologies for the rant and it was not directed to anyone except Shaw HQ. I do not blame the Employees for what the company says. :)

Shawguy

·
Registered
831 Posts
I have to do the Pause/Play trick to see SD channels, too, when I first tun mine on. It's getting to be a pain.

meshmellow

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hmmm.... I wouldnt mind an update from other 3080 owners. I wanted to watch the Canucks Vs Stars hockey game in HD on my 3080 box as I had things to do and wasn't able to watch it on my HD set. The pause and play trick has always worked for me, however I now get the black not authorized screen.

Has shaw now fixed the pause and play trick? I know theres no benefit on a SDTV watching HD content, but I do have a 5.1 receiver and prefer watching channels in 5.1 instead of ProLogic.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts