Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are using a One-For-All or Radio Shack remote, you can program a button on the remote to quickly skip through commercials:

1) Press the "Cable" button at the top of the remote to put it into Cable Box control mode.
2) Press and hold the "Setup" button until the LED blinks twice.
3) Type in the code 994. The "Cable" button will blink twice
4) Press (do not hold) the "Setup" button
5) Type in the code 00173 (for 30 second Skip)
6) Press whatever button you want to map the skip
Depending on the model of your remote, instead of code 00173 you may need either 0173 or 173.

This feature is not implemented on the Motorola remote due to pressure from advertisers (those bastards!)

These remotes are cheap and can control every device out there. See http://www.hifi-remote.com

·
Registered
19 Posts
On my Kameleon 8-in-1 it's:

Press-hold "Setup" until the setup "button group" comes up
Press "Other"
Type in "994" on the number pad that appears
Hit "Cable"
Press (don't hold) "Setup"
Type "173" on the number pad
Two flashes (after a bit) means it worked.
Press "Home" to get back to the programming screen
Press "Home" again to exit programming, or back to step 2 to continue programming other buttons.

I use "0476" for my base setup, and then use that procedure to add the additional buttons:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/cgi-bin2/ueic.cgi?cbl_0476

·
Registered
19 Posts
Understood, but at the same time it's info that might be valuable to someone new - who has no idea that the function exists, let alone searching for it.

Everything I've read about the 6412 on other sites has been shaky, mainly because it wasn't written specifically for Eastlink users.

There's a difference between telling someone to "do a search" when they ask a FAQ ('How do I add the 30 second skip button to my remote?") - versus someone going ahead and taking the time to document something ("There is 30 Second Skip, here's how to enable it!") that may be of interest to a specific forum, even if it may be redundant comapred to the other forums. :D

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
That's why I said thanks, and that's why this thread is still open.

My comment about the other threads was to correct the original posters misconception that all Motorola remotes cannot do this...

Perhaps you could ask Eastlink for the "correct" remote and not require the purchase of an additional one, unless you want an all-for-one anyway?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm half figuring that they'll need to come out with a new remote anyway - for the 6412 after the dual-tuner functionality is enabled. It's currently lacking some buttons, like "swap."

It's also possible, as far as I know, to enable it on the Motorola remote we have as well, via the 994 sequence. I just couldn't be bothered to figure out the sequence of presses for it specifically, and I already had a Kameleon and I was programming it for the DVR functions anyway.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Actually EastLink uses the Motorola DRC800 remote which does have the dual tuner funtions preprogrammed in. As to why they don't have the 30 second skip function, I have no idea.

The older DRC450 remotes however do not.

Not every provider using motorola boxes uses the same remotes. I can't speak for any others but Shaw uses a different brand of remote from a company called Atlas. I beleive Rogers uses the same brand of remote for both their Motorola and Scientific Atlanta boxes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Has anyone gotten Eastlink to supply a "correct" remote that is programmable?
If it's available, I want one!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the DRC800 - but the only "swap" button is the PIP swap... ahh. I think I answered my own query. Two tuners make in-box PIP possible - swap, etc, yes? I was mistaking that group as buttons for my TV's built-in PIP - which it does control as well.

Does anyone know what this Motorola remote is based on? If it uses the same codes as other devices, is it safe to guess the 944 sequence might be used to make the A,B or C buttons do the skip command?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Programming DRC800 Remote

I think the programming given below would work with the DRC800 if it only had a SETUP button!

Has anyone been able to program the DRC800 for this 30 second skip? This is the remote supplied with Motorola's DCT6208 by Rogers NB.

I found the users guide, but no mention of programming it rather than for other equipment. Am I missing something?

commerce.motorola.com/consumer/QWhtml/pdf/DRC800UserGuide2.pdf

Your link below is a dead end. Did the thread get moved or deleted?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Looking for the SETUP button

Yeah, OK. This is great if you're programming some other remote, but for some reason, the Motorola DRC800 doesn't have a SETUP button, which makes it real difficult to follow the directions. The two first posts involved Kameleon and Radio Shack remotes. What do you use as a substitute for SETUP?

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
Do an advanced search for "second skip", in "thread titles" only. I got several hits for the Motorola remote, but apparently it doesn't work everywhere?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Shaw users seem to be able to program their Atlas 5 remotes, with & without a JP1 cable. Motorola's DRC800 is not programmable with or without the cable, or at least I have not found anyone who has done it. If you send a code 0173 to the unit, I'm sure it will do a 30 second skip, but how do you send this code and program it to one of the unused macro buttons (A, B or C) on the DRC800? There must be a way - I'll keep searching...

Thanks 57.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Intrepid DRC800 owners needed

I found one interesting link that describes how to change the Volume Lock setting to CABLE Mode:

http://www.insight-com.com/help/DRC800.asp

I tried it at home last night. If you press and hold the CABLE button, all the device type lights blink in sequence twice. I entered 0173 and the CABLE button light came on. I pressed the A button to assign this feature and... nothing.

I think I'm on to something here, and I need some intrepid tweakers to help figure this out.

·
Registered
743 Posts
did we all get some kind of weird remote or something?

·
Registered
298 Posts
TheHulk,

If you have the 6412 DVR, it's a different remote that has a setup button. The remote for the 6208 (DRC800) does not have this setup button. I think it's programmable, but using the steps in your link, which was posted earlier in this thread, will not work. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I think the following might work (I will try tonight):
1) Press and hold the "Cable" button at the top of the remote.
2) Wait until all the device types light up in sequence
3) Type in the code 994. The "Cable" button will blink twice
4) Type in the code 0173 (for 30 second Skip)
5) Press whatever button you want to map the skip (suggest A, B, or C)

The remote seems to like four digits for the skip code. Might have to try 173 or 00173. If it's not the above, it's close.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts