Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am moving into a new house which has a 30 round dish already installed. Can I add a Dish Pro Plus Twin LNB and pick up 91 and 82 or do I need an oval dish? I would rather keep the 30 inch as I am guessing it will be better for rain fade.

Thanks
Rod

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I do not know of any 30" Dish that can be skewed for using 2 x LNBF's.

You could use a DP LNBF and feed a DPP44 switch to allow the use of a single ine to a Dual Tuner Receiver.

Then you would have to feed 91 from another Dish, with the same type of LNBF.

·
Registered
98 Posts
DISH

You will need a circular polarized LNB to receive Bell. Also, with a non-skewable circular dish, you would need a STAB-Disecq compliant, motorized dish mount. This motorized mount is supported by some of the newer FTA receivers. The legal hassles caused by the use of "pirate modified" FTA receivers to access encrypted satellite signals are significant and painful. Simply put, the use of these receivers to access Bell signals is illegal. I would use the largest oval dish available that supports skewing and TWO circularly polarized LNBs. You can then use a LEGAL Bell TV set top box and enjoy life without the worry of a knock on the door by your local police.

tim :eek:

·
Registered
38 Posts
You can't use the 30inch dish with that particular lnb. You can use the dish but it will require a special bracket to mount the circular lnb's. It would be eaisier calling bell and tell them that you are moving. They will install a new dish for free.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Without seeing the LNBF mount, how on earth can you say a cirular LNBF cannot be mounted.?

I mount Circular LNBF's on 75cm & 90cm Circular Dish's almost every single day......

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies but I am a little confused. I am pretty sure I can add the Dish Pro LNB. So my question is, if I can add the LNB will it be big enough to get both sats or will I need a dish that can be skewed?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Well if you live aprox on 86.5w longitude you won't need to skew anything. If you don't then one side of the LNB will need to sit higher than the other. Also that LNBf is engineered to pick up 2 satellites 9 degrees apart mounted on a bell/dishnetowork 20" dish. If you use a different size or shape of dish it may not be able to pick up both satellites.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Round dishes are meant to receive 1 satellite. Elliptical dishes are for two or more satellites.
A 30" round dish has a narrower beam pickup compared to lets say a 20" dish, but gives more gain than the 20" dish.
Seeing as a round dish with two LNBF's mounted cannot be skewed because it is round and not elliptical, then the LNBF's have to be skewed to each other.
The result is that two satellites such as Bells which are 9º apart can be received mounted on a round dish but you will lose the full capture abilities of the 30" parabolic for one or both LNBF's depending on your mount positions.
The dish reflective capabilities will be reduced from 30" to something less depending on position of dish and position of LNBF's to each other.
There are LNBF mounts available to hold two separate LNBF's on a round dish for different satellites. But again, full use of the round dish will not be obtained for both satellites.
You could use the 30" round dish for one satellite to help cut down on down time because of rain fade and another dish for the other satellite.
Depending on where you live, Bell's supplied dish is usually good enough most of the time.
But, your 30" round dish could be used for more gain.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I didn't say that he couldn't use a circular lnbf, i said he couldn't use the Dish Pro Plus Twin LNB cause i was answering the first post.
Your better off using the 20 inch oval dish that bell offers for better signal quality opposed to the 30 inch dish. Notice i didn't use the term eliptical cause the bell dish is vertically longer than the horizonal axis.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts