Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the movie "3" being telecast on ESPN this Saturday is being picked up by any Canadian networks?

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Yes I do know...

I was watching ESPN a few weeks ago and noticed the ad...so naturally I e-mailed our Canadian providers...TSN and Sportsnet and neither will be picking it up.

The reason I e-mailed them is that I saw it as a perfect time to pick up another HD program.

Neither network could care less...they would rather show a re-run of lumberjack challenge...yikes

·
Banned
306 Posts
I'm sure it will eventually show up on ESPN Classic Canada along with other standouts like Youngblood and Rocky XXVII.

But seriously, why on earth would Sportsnet or TSN show this movie - or any other for that matter? It isn't what they do, regardless of your opinion of the programming they have scheduled. The Craig Media outlets that show Nascar races on some weekends might be a more realistic place to turn. They actually show movies...

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
Both Sportsnet and TSN show NASCAR events throughout the year. And why not show the movie? It beats 'classic' hockey games. You can't honestly be happy with games from 71, 86, and last year?
I've never seen an ESPN movie in the last 2 years, almost 3, anywhere on digital, which is sad, becasue theres been some that have been controversial, and 3 is another that is receiving alot of attention.

·
Banned
306 Posts
I'm not saying that I like old hockey games, or wrestling, or some of the other "filler" programming that airs when live sporting events don't. All I'm saying is that the reality is that not everything that airs on ESPN (or any other outlet we don't directly receive) will get shown here. Our main all-sports networks don't show movies. Period.

I, for one, would like to see Outside The Lines shown but it's not. Nor is The Best Damn Sports Show Period (FSN). It's just a fact of life.

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
pdjcrawford said:
Nor is The Best Damn Sports Show Period (FSN)
BDSSP was on for a little while a year or so ago on SNET, but it was never on at a regular time. It was called special programming on the IPG. It was on weekends and such. I want it regularly, and at a regular time each day. What they did didn't cut it. I should have complained.
I for one want to see Jim Rome is Burning (ESPN, Thursday, 10PM MT)

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
Icemann said:
You never know, since its a movie you might see MC or TMN pick it up.
Maybe, but they didn't pick up: Season on the Brink (about coach Kinight), Rose (anbout Pete Rose), or Playmakers (the football show that the NFL basically canned).

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
3 is out on DVD (already). I'll probably pick it up sometime if I hear/see good things about it. (Not in HD though ;) )

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
KinStud said:
BDSSP was on for a little while a year or so ago on SNET, but it was never on at a regular time. It was called special programming on the IPG. It was on weekends and such. I want it regularly, and at a regular time each day. What they did didn't cut it. I should have complained.
Does anyone know the reason why Sportsnet decided to drop Best Damn Sports Show Period? Is Rogers too cheap to purchase the rights to the show? I can't understand why Sportsnet would show BDSSP in an irregular time slot for only a short while and then just suddenly drop it? I also, can't figure out why it was called specialty programming? The fact that Rogers provided a popular sports talk show like BDSSP on its schedule and then removes it without advance notice or any explanation does not make a lot of sense.

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
I have just sent emails to RSN and TSN, regarding the announcement that Jim Rome will be live daily starting soon:

Hello.
I am listening to Jim Rome on my Calgary sports radio station. The anncouncement has just been made from ESPN that his (Jim Rome is Burning) show will be live, daily, as opposed to once a week. In light of this announcement, I would highly encourage that RSN look into acquiring this show. It will be on live at 4:30-5:00 EST, and even if you don't pick it up live, I would love to see thsi show. I anticipate a reply, and would love to see Jim Rome return to Canadian television, especially his former home of Rogers Sportsnet, where I used to watch The Last Word.
Also, The Best Damn Sports Show Period was on briefly last year, what happend to that show, and would Sportsnet consider picking it up again, on a regular time slot?
Thank-you very much.

I just changed the RSN to TSN, and suggested that they put it behind PTI (They shoud really replace PTI, as JRIB is a better show, with more intelliget talk, and no arguing between Wilbon and Kornheiser)

And, as you can see lprice, I enquirted why BDSSP was taken off the air to RSN. Hopefully I will get a reply from both programming departments.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
KinStud said:
And, as you can see lprice, I enquirted why BDSSP was taken off the air to RSN. Hopefully I will get a reply from both programming departments.
I sent an Email to RSN a few weeks ago regarding why "The Best Damn Sports Show Period" was dropped from their schedule:

"Could Rogers Sportsnet please tell me why the channel decided to drop Fox Sportsnet's "The Best damn sports show Period" awhile ago? It was only carried in an irregular time slot before that and then suddenly disappeared off the schedule. This was very inconvenient. I wanted to know if Rogers Sportsnet has any plans to carry this popular and entertaining sports talk show again in the near future. I was extremely disappointed in this decision. I think it was very unfortunate. The show is very good and will be missed. Thanks"

Here is RSN's response:

"Hello ******,

Thank you for your recent email. Unfortunately, at this time, we have no plans to add that show back to our schedule. We decided to remove it to concentrate on more Canadian based sports magazine shows.

Sincerely
Jim LaChapelle
Audience Relations
1-877-288-7767"

·
Registered
689 Posts
Don't you know? Hockey is the only sport the networks here say we should care about. It seems anyone with more than a passing interest in any other sport can go to hell. :p

Anyway, now that Fox no longer has a stake in Sportsnet, I wouldn't count on BDSSP coming back anytime soon.

JPK

1 - 20 of 23 Posts