Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure about all the providers, but at one time both Bell SAT & Rogers had a 3-D Channel.
If I recall on Bell SAT 1933 and on Rogers ????(not sure of the channel).
Anyways are they still available?

Also what ever happen to the 3-D TV.s?

·
Super Moderator
56,757 Posts
Rogers now have 4K channels where the 3D demo used to be. 3D TVs went the way that manual transmission cars are going. Not enough people want them in North America. 3D was just a fad.

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
3D is one of those things that is revived every 20 years to sell overpriced TVs and a few bad movies. Just ignore it and it will go away. I'm holding out for hologram TV.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Yup I remember the 3D channel when I had Bell and nothing was ever aired on it.

One of my close friends spent thousands upgrading his Home entertainment centre with a 3D TV, extra goggles, a smaller 3DTV for his video gaming console, all new 3D Blue Ray Discs,3D video games etc. then a few years later he tossed it all in the trash and replaced everything with 4K stuff and more thousands spent. he is now regretting spending all kinds of money to be an early adopter.

·
Registered
57 Posts
3d was broadcast as side by side videos.

Google Knows everything and the internet Has everything.

The latest 3d movie is Godzilla vs Kong available in theaters.

There are hundreds of 3d movies as you will see in the above link. There was a lapse for the flu otherwise many of the major movies had a 3d version.

I installed Smart Youtube Tv on my fire cube. A search for 3d side by side results in hundreds of samples. I tell my tv that it's a side by side video and it combines the 2 sides into 3d.

this is David Attenborough documentary. It's actually one 1.5 hrs repeated.

For those without a 3d tv Virtual reality goggles work with a cell phone and are cheap ($10 or so) which is the reason for all the videos. People like VR it seems.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I cant stand 3D it gives me bad headaches. Its nothing but a fad and people are not interested in it.

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess some people where. They sold 3-D TV's. The thing is twice now they tried to sell 3 D to the consumer and both times it failed. I think one of the reasons was the Glasses. When you bought the TV's either they gave yo 1 ore 2 pairs of glasses, while most cases families consists of usually 4 in a house hold and the extra glasses where expensive.

Will 3-D come back again? I don't know. but I dought it. As for 8K I don't se that catching on for sometime(TV's are expensive). Heck as far as I know there's no programing broadcasting at least here in Canada from the providers, heck you can't even buy a receiver in 8K?

·
Registered
492 Posts
I guess some people where. They sold 3-D TV's. The thing is twice now they tried to sell 3 D to the consumer and both times it failed. I think one of the reasons was the Glasses. When you bought the TV's either they gave yo 1 ore 2 pairs of glasses, while most cases families consists of usually 4 in a house hold and the extra glasses where expensive.

Will 3-D come back again? I don't know. but I dought it. As for 8K I don't se that catching on for sometime(TV's are expensive). Heck as far as I know there's no programing broadcasting at least here in Canada from the providers, heck you can't even buy a receiver in 8K?
I bought an 8 k Samsung tv which is also a smart tv and do watch a lot of 8K videos on You Tube, the picture is phenomenal, really sharp and clear. I really like mine.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I bought an 8 k Samsung tv which is also a smart tv and do watch a lot of 8K videos on You Tube, the picture is phenomenal, really sharp and clear. I really like mine.
Unfortunately that's about all is good for regarding 8k, there's barely any 4k content on regular tv channels, it will be a decade at least before there is any 8k content.

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
The thing is twice now they tried to sell 3 D to the consumer and both times it failed.
I recall at least 3 times for 3D movies in theatres. That's not counting the times they dragged them out again for TV. The technology keeps improving but it's not to the point yet where goofy things like coloured or polarized glasses, or some high tech gadget doesn't need to be worn. When they get it to the point where headgear isn't necessary and the TV doesn't cost over $5000 then maybe it will catch on. The other thing needed is good movies in 3D. Part of what killed it every time was bad, gimmicky movies that have no redeeming factor apart from 3D hype.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts

Not many people actually wanted 3d TVs. At one point they tried to sell them saying "well they make really good 2d TVs as well!", which was all you needed to know about the value 3d actually brought to home viewing. That's why the whole thing died out. For people who like it at a movie, it's an experience in that big screen environment. At home it's just a hassle and there wasn't much of anything made for it that really gained anything from it outside of those movies (and what it brings to movies is pretty questionable too).

VR is different because it actually gives a much more immersive experience in games than 3d ever did, so it's doing something more unique and interesting. But even then while it's doing better, it's still not exactly super mainstream.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts