Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shaw offers 2 ip addresses for a normal account. If I activate the 2nd, does this actually increase my bandwidth?

Muhali

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
It might be of use if you were running a server, but that goes against the terms and conditions of the Shaw internet services, so basically, it is of no real value.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
^^^^
One might want remote access to a network, even if a "server" is not used. For example, I use a VPN, to connect to my local network. However, directly accessing computers on the local network gets messy, if only one IP is available and port forwarding has to be used. Since I added IPv6, I can now reach all my computers from elsewhere. I have 2^72 addresses available (that's a trillion times the entire world wide IPv4 internet) on my subnet. I have already used 6 of 'em! ;-)

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
^^^^
I use a tunnel broker that provides an IPv6 /56 subnet using 6in4 tunneling (IP protocol 41). On my notebook computer, I also run a single address client that provides one IPv6 address. So, between the two, I can use IPv6 to reach my home computers. Even my Google Nexus One can use IPv6, when connected to my home WiFi.

I use the client software from http://gogonet.gogo6.com, but there are others, such as http://he.net. The client software I use is available for Linux, Windows, Mac, Unix etc.
You can also use WiFi routers, such as the D-Link DIR-825 to provide IPv6 via 6in4 tunnels.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
so with a router the 2nd ip address is of no real use, is it?
If you want a second router then that would be a good use for it. Keep your network and the kids in the house separate, that kind of thing.

Could be used for two computers if you don't have a router, but almost nobody does that anymore. A bit of a security risk as well.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
^^^^
No security risk. You just use a firewall as before.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I run the 2 IP cable modem to a 8 port 10/100 Switch, then out to a pair of Linksys Gig-E Wireless N routers, one is single band, the other dual band.
Turn of DHCP on 1 of them.
Set them both to the SAME subnet on the backside as in 192.168.0.X
And bridge them together as well to expand the port and out to a couple of Gig-e switches as well.
I have 2 public IP's.
One feeds a WHS2K3 and the feeds an SBS2K8
Give me remote access to either server.
Lets mail in to the SBS and remote to the WHS.

I sometimes balance all the lan clients to different gateways in case 1 router is saturated with P2P and BT stuff.

2 IPs are sweet!

Never had Shaw or the cable modem ISP reseller on my case for running servers.

I have a registered .CA domain that points to the SBS and the WHS uses the homeserver.com domain.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Shaws second ip address

Since my plan comes with 2 external ip addresses, if i get the second one setup, will i still have a 100GB data transfer total, or will i have 100 per external address?

·
Registered
79 Posts
i cant see your download limit increasing. doesnt make any sense to me why it would. your service lets you download xx amount and gives you xx ip address... just get a router?

try a google searching for bandwidth moniters.

·
Registered
3 Posts
have a router. but wouldnt having 2 ip addresses separate the network traffic between my 2 computers, and ps3, therefore removing the lag that is experienced on the ps3 when i download anything.

·
Registered
24 Posts
2nd ip is only really of any use to people using a switch instead of a router or if they are just switching the cat 5 from their pc to their xbox or whatever. For most users, it isn't really of much use. It won't improve speeds or change bandwidth.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts