Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, my knowledge is basic. I don’t even know if my title includes the correct terms. I want to boost/extend the wifi signal in my house.

- I have a HH3000 from Bell running my home internet, set up by one of their Techs

- I happen to have a second one brand new in the box, unregistered.

- I have Ethernet ports throughout my house all connected to a patch panel and switch

Can I somehow set up and connect the 2nd HH3000 elsewhere in my house to boost/extend the wifi signal? Same network name and password so there’s no switching wifi networks on devices etc.

Electronic instrument Gadget Audio equipment Computer hardware Cable

·
Registered
10,506 Posts
It should be fairly simple but all bets are off with proprietary Bell equipment. Some routers have an access point configuration option that can be used. If so use that.

With most other routers:
  1. Connect the LAN port to a PC that is not on the LAN. Find the router by going to its web page, typically 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1. That should be documented or written on the router.
  2. Disable DHCP.
  3. Configure a static LAN address not in use on the network. 192.168.x.2 should work but the first three numbers should match the existing LAN address and the fourth must be unique and not in the main router's DHCP range.
  4. Reconnect the PC to the LAN.
  5. Connect one of the second routers LAN ports to the LAN and go to the configuration page using the new address.
  6. Configure wifi.
Haven't done this for awhile so there may be a step or two missing but that should do it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts