Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hey -

I'm looking to install a second HD in my computer and am looking for a little assistance with it. I currently have an 80GB Hitachi installed and I do not want to erase anything on it, I just want to add this new drive as extra storage. So from what I know, I need to install it and format.
Problem... never done it before.
Can anyone point me to a website with instructions on how to do this??

·
Member #1
47,716 Posts
Its very simple. Goto PCMag, PCWorld or CNET site and they will have detailed instructions on how.

BUT

Make sure you read your motherboard manual to ensure you get the right drive and read the instructions that come with your drive before trying to install.

And finally, don't add a new drive without backing up your old one!

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
You may want to also consider an enclosure and use the second harddrive as an external drive. If you go that route it's just plug and play, no need to tinker inside.

·
Banned
6,296 Posts
External USB2 drives are a good option but they are a little slower. Make sure your computer has USB2 ports and not USB1.1. Adding an internal drive may or may not be possible, depending on available space, the power supply and motherboard configuration. In addition, motherboard configuration can determine the type of drive and cables required. It might be worth paying someone else to install the drive. (Maybe a local independent computer retailer that also sells drives for a good price.)

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Go to:

Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager>Universal Serial Bus Controllers

and click the "+" to see details and see if you have USB2 Enhanced Bus Controller.

In the affirmative, your simplest solution is to get a USB HDD drive.

The drive can store files, photos, etc. As for music and videos, you will need to create your folders as the Windows Media Center will not accept to store them in a Library. But stored in your own folders, clicking a music or video file will cause Windows Media to open up.

And your USB HDD can be used as an image backup of your internal drive (if you have an image backup program).

·
Registered
82 Posts
It's a breeze if you have the connections and room for a 2nd hard drive in your computer case. You simply plug in the new hard drive (Windows will recognize it - probably call it the "D" drive) and then your hard drive comes with all the instructions how to format it (Seagate did, for instance). It's fast, easy and painless. While it never hurts to backup your main drive, your computer will never get confused as your old hard drive is your "C" drive, and it looks to that first. It took me less than a 1/2 hour to install my new 250GB drive - to back up all my photos, music, documents etc. which is what I think you want to do as well. Be sure to tell your computer that the new hard drive is the slave - but the instructions will walk you through that as well - just a matter of a switch.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys...
I have successfully installed and formatted the drive. It was really simple. Thanks for the help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts