Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.... the CCTA put forth a simple application on the desk of the CRTC. The application was for the approval of 2 HD channels. Both of these channels contained Canadian content (willingly). This content was paid for (in part) by taxpayers of this country. Content that Canadians are not allow to legally see.

In addition, these channels offered content that was not available in Canada. In a nutshell you had Canadian content and no overlap of service.

As stated above, a simple application.

Of course simplicity breads stupidly and corruption. After stalling tactics by the CRTC, Bell and its empire managed to come up with a competing channel for one of these services. Bell expects this channel to be quickly approved and up and running by years end.

While this happens the CCTA application gathers dust, perhaps waiting for Bell to come up with a plan to squash the other application.

This is either corruption or incompetence. Feel free to draw your own conclusion.

Of course, the 2 channels in question are HDNET and Discovery HD Theater. Both channels will do wonders in advancing the acceptance of HD in Canada.

The origianal application can be found here:

http://www.ccta.com/CMFiles/DetailsDocuments/CCTA63NUO-1052004-4658.pdf

Happpy birthday.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
james99 said:
This is either corruption or incompetence. Feel free to draw your own conclusion.
It’s probably corruption. The stalling has gone on too long for it to be incompetence. It appears that the CRTC has bowed down to pressure from the broadcasting industry and other various lobby groups that control the regulator. Unfortunately, Canadian consumers have been undermined once again and there's little that can be done about it. It's just a matter of time before Canada falls behind every other nation that's making the transition to HD.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Nels Stewart said:
Er, could that be BEV offering up HDNet programming as HD-PPV, as referenced in this discussion???
BEV filed an intervention with the CRTC that supported the approval of HDNET. CTV filed an intervention with the CRTC that opposed the approval of HDNET. BEV and CTV opposed the approval of Discovery HD Theater for obvious reasons. Both are owned by Bell Globemedia.

·
Registered
29 Posts
lprice99 said:
It’s probably corruption. The stalling has gone on too long for it to be incompetence.

The CRTC commissioners should all, at the very least, be fired for this delay in not publishing a decision. They simply are NOT doing the job they were appointed to do.

But these guys are all Liberal bagmen. It's up to the peasants to revolt to create a change.

·
Banned
1,460 Posts
It has been roughly 2 months since the latest call for comments ended and the CCTA had their chance to reply. I know this is hopeless wishfull thinking but maybe some thing will pop up in the near future.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With Bell offering HDNET as a PPV channel, the outcome may have already been decided and we don't know about it. I wouldn't be surprised if Bell knows the outcome, and their PPV offering is a reflection of it.

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
lprice99 said:
BEV and CTV opposed the approval of Discovery HD Theater for obvious reasons. Both are owned by Bell Globemedia.
But, BGE did file an application for Discovery HD Theatre Canada, a 24/7 HD Discovery offshoot with guaranteed Canadian content. I don't see how this one will not pass. Disc HD Theater will never be accepted under these conditions, but I assume HDNet will be.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
KinStud said:
But, BGE did file an application for Discovery HD Theatre Canada, a 24/7 HD Discovery offshoot with guaranteed Canadian content. I don't see how this one will not pass. Disc HD Theater will never be accepted under these conditions, but I assume HDNet will be.
I agree that the U.S Discovery HD Theater never had a chance to be approved by the CRTC. The Canadian version will swiftly be granted a license.

There's no legitimate reason why HDNET shouldn't be allowed into Canada. HDNET is unique and doesn't directly compete with any Canadian channels.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Why would HDNet sell individual programs to EVu? I can't see it helping their application. It just gives the CRTC another excuse to turn it down.

·
Banned
1,460 Posts
Writing to the CRTC is completly useless as the people there don't even read their own decisions. They are very aware of my opinion by now as well. So I thought I would shoot an email off to the CCTA. Nothing new.

------------------------------------------------------------
Good day:

I noticed that is has been almost 2 1/2 years since the CCTA first filed it's
application with the CRTC to add HD Net to the list of stations eligable for
carriage in Canada.

It has been a couple of months since the end of the request for comments
period. I am wondering if the CCTA has a sence for when they think the CRTC
will make a ruling on this application.

I have sent a number of emails to the CRTC about this application in the past
and it has become obvious to me that the person who responds to those emails
does not read the CRTC's own documentation.

Thank you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your e-mail re our sponsorship of HDNet. The file is now in the hands of the CRTC. We are not sure when we might see a decision. Obviously we would hope that it would be very soon...

xxxx xxxxx
CCTA

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
james99 said:
.... the CCTA put forth a simple application on the desk of the CRTC. The application was for the approval of 2 HD channels. Both of these channels contained Canadian content (willingly). This content was paid for (in part) by taxpayers of this country. Content that Canadians are not allow to legally see.

In addition, these channels offered content that was not available in Canada. In a nutshell you had Canadian content and no overlap of service.

As stated above, a simple application.

Of course simplicity breads stupidly and corruption. After stalling tactics by the CRTC, Bell and its empire managed to come up with a competing channel for one of these services. Bell expects this channel to be quickly approved and up and running by years end.

While this happens the CCTA application gathers dust, perhaps waiting for Bell to come up with a plan to squash the other application.

Of course, the 2 channels in question are HDNET and Discovery HD Theater. Both channels will do wonders in advancing the acceptance of HD in Canada.

The origianal application can be found here:

http://www.ccta.com/CMFiles/DetailsDocuments/CCTA63NUO-1052004-4658.pdf

Happpy birthday.
Verrrry interesting, but what do you know, you don't even have 10,000 posts yet!

To this I would add that the recent Bell-influenced decision to quash the omnibus channels has effectively reduced the Canadian content on my TV.

Previously those channels were a primary source of good Canadian content. The CRTC ruling brushed that content off the air completely.

The rulings are not supporting the objective. I'd be curious about how CRTC decision makers are selected and if there's an opportunity for more common and independent average citizens to be involved. We've seen that submitted comments are routinely ignored, so what's the answer?

We've seen the CRTC make brave decisions, however weak and loophole-ridden, that go against the Bell giants (ie: VOIP) So it must be possible there is some hope for this commission to do something for the people.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
jvillain said:
Writing to the CRTC is completly useless as the people there don't even read their own decisions. They are very aware of my opinion by now as well. So I thought I would shoot an email off to the CCTA. Nothing new.
I also, wrote the CCTA concerning HDNET. I received the same response. It's identical to the one that you posted.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Neild said:
I'd be curious about how CRTC decision makers are selected and if there's an opportunity for more common and independent average citizens to be involved.
If you look into the background of CRTC members, you will see that they have either stints as BCE employees and/or Liberal Party bagman.

You can be assured that this is the reason that both Ted Rogers and J.R. Shaw (both conservatives) give money to the Liberal Party. They both know you have to pay to play.

·
Registered
150 Posts
lprice99 said:
There's no legitimate reason why HDNET shouldn't be allowed into Canada. HDNET is unique and doesn't directly compete with any Canadian channels.
Wouldn't HDNet directly compete with TSN and SportsNet, since they show NHL hockey?

I recall TSN picking up a few HDNet hockey games a few years ago.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
leafsfan said:
Wouldn't HDNet directly compete with TSN and SportsNet, since they show NHL hockey?

I'm guessing that NHL Hockey would probably have to be replaced with alternate programming if the CRTC decides to approve HDNET due to pre-existing contractual agreements that the NHL already has with some of the Canadian channels.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Perhaps not. All HDNET games originate from the USA and most of them feature US teams. Most of the Canadian teams are from Western Canada and we all know how much the Toronto based sports networks care about the west.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
leafsfan said:

If they are showing the same game then yes. HDNET games have been available in Canada via PPV. Not sure if TSN has shown any. Perhaps you are confusing HDNET with ESPN HD?

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Satellite Expert said:
If you look into the background of CRTC members, you will see that they have either stints as BCE employees and/or Liberal Party bagman.
I'm not doubting this, but can you cite evidence?

Satellite Expert said:
You can be assured that this is the reason that both Ted Rogers and J.R. Shaw (both conservatives) give money to the Liberal Party. They both know you have to pay to play.
I heard somewhere BGM is largest contributor, eclipsing even the well protected banks and insurance co's. But again, I'm absent the evidence.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.