Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

161 - 180 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
When this season's episodes are viewed in a few years, they're going to be seen as absolutely hilarious (in a totally unintended, campy kind of way).

The archetypal villians, egregious overacting, ridiculous story turns (although that's always been a joke)......it's going to be a total laugher.

How do I know? Because I'm cracking up laughing watching them fresh and new now.....and I am (or was) a huge fan!

Oh, how the mighty have fallen.....

·
Registered
158 Posts
This season's episodes have become absolutely ridiculous and unbelievable! They better get some new writers or close down the show -- probably with a big nuke into CTU headquarters!

·
Registered
731 Posts
I have a feeling that the ending might be OK.

3 Weeks ago was awesome. Tomorrow should be the same.

Season 6 does stink so far but I will still buy the DVD when it comes out just to support the show and complete my collection but I will not be watchign them again.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I have had trouble watching the last few episodes, its gone down hill big time, same old story line about who is in power and who is in trouble.
Its like a really bad version of the West Wing right now.
Its a good thing there are only a few left, I am not sure if I will watch day 7 it would have to be dang good.

·
Registered
731 Posts
wow that was a bad ending. My God it was so predictable.

The Jack / Audrey ending was kinda cool but man no twists, turns, moles, .... nothing!

Season 7 better be original

·
Registered
99 Posts
i don't know if it's just me, but i think the writers want to convey the
possibility of Jack's suicide. Jack saying goodbye, then a shot of the cliff
at the end. so subtle.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Wow - lame ending and did not set anything up for next season. Word on the street was that season's 7 and 8 will be total departures from what we've seen so far. We shall see...

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I must admit that as a long-time fan of the show, I am really happy this season is over. I no longer have to be continually disappointed with over-acting, predictable plotlines, illogical plotlines, complete changes in character traits...

If this was the first season of 24, I certainly wouldn't have started watching season 2. Actually, I think if this was the first season, it would probably have been cancelled midway through the first year. This is Fox, afterall.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Talk about frustration...I lost the last 8 minutes of 24 last night... my pvr crapped out. I was wondering where or how to grab the ending, just when Jack sits on Audry's bed...the end.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Overall, I liked the season, but we are at the point now where you knew that Jack would get the boy out, that the component would get destroyed/returned and that everything would "work out" for the most part. I thought that things are getting a little predictable and I didn't care much for Chloe being pregnant. I echo most of the responses in the thread, but I think the writers need to write a day where there is no assassination attempt/overthrough the president. I thought Day 1, 2 and 3 were phenominal. Day 4 was very good and day 5 was alright and 6 was average. I am excited for Day 7, but I really hope there are some fresh story lines/twists.

·
Registered
738 Posts
The plot lines of 24 are full of deception and mis-direction. The viewer makes assumptions about what happened and is then proven wrong with a plausible, at least in the context of 24, alternative story line. I think the next season will actually pickup on the end of this one. I have strong doubts about Jack's father being dead and the circuit being destroyed. The Chinese submarine is a few miles away with a locator beacon. The inflatable boat is fast and was last seen at the dock on the platform. We don't know if Jack and his team actually killed all the bad guys on the platform before the rocket attack - someone may have survived and helped Jack's dad escape.
The Chinese may have known about the jets attacking the platform and sent a team out to rescue Jack's dad and the circuit. Remember, there were at least 20 minutes between the decision to send the jets and the actual attack. Electronic security was frequently breached at CTU so they may have been listening into the conversation.
The circuit was supposed to be vulnerable to salt water but most of the time it was contained in a small box. The box may have been waterproof and survived the attack even if Jack's dad didn't make it.
Chang said his people would not abandon him - suggesting a rescue attempt of some kind or a kidnapping to get a hostage to trade.
Lots of opportunities to link the next 24 hours with the just completed 24.
Unfortunately, the story line often follows a template as far as action in the LA area is concerned. Hunt for the location of the bad guys, send a team from CTU, get there too late, chase around on the freeways, etc.
Personally, I think they have to get the field action out of the LA area. A new location would automatically create new dynamics between Jack and CTU.
I guess we find out in January 2008.

·
Registered
411 Posts
From Manny Coto: Co executive producer of 24

"Jack starts next season in a very different place than any other season so far. Let's put it this way, I wouldn't be surprised if there's no CTU next year. CTU has become almost too comfortable you know?....We're pulling the rug out from under our characters. It's a pretty radical shift-a totally different context with a totally different villain. There will not be a ticking clock on a nuclear device. We're hewing much close to real life: tighter, more personal, more difficult for Jack. There may even be a plot thread that doesn't take place on US soil. In a sense, it's a reboot in location and personnel. We're going to be introducing a new stable of characters, along with a couple of old ones. Jack's not living under an alias. He's found a place he thinks he belongs and a job he enjoys doing that doesn't involve the government. What's also refreshing is the choice of villain: It's not a terrorist at all. And the character is fascinating, someone with a supremely dark past who's done something horrific and whose ambition is to regain his stature in the world. I just can't say enough how exciting it is. It's going to be pretty damn cool".

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Sounds promising. A reboot is certainly needed.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
The predictability is really hurting things. It was pretty nasty how Milo died. Or when Palmer passed out, it surprised me. But when Jack got to the oil rig, I almost felt like tuning out. At that point, we know it'll all work out.

My problem with the show is that they push stupid romances, in a 24 hr period. We don't need to care if Nadia might have something for Doyle. In fact, when Milo asked her about it, she should have said, "WTF!! We're in a CRISIS right now!!" But she actually answered that she was confused. Makes no sense.

I also don't like incompetence. They need to make CTU and to US government good at what they do. How does someone break in from the sewer??

And why would Jack take the real "component" to trade for Audrey? And why did Lennox plot that stupid way of tricking the Russian mole into passing along fake info? He could have just broke into that guy's apartment and forced him to do what he wanted, without making a big scene (which was apparently observed by someone else).

And do countries really mobilize armed forces in a manner of hours, over some component which may or may not ever cause any trouble?

I hate to say it, but I want more realism.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
The whole season was extremely frustrating to watch. asif9t9 and others mentioned some of them, but the list would be way too long to make it complete in this thread.

It gave me more the impression of a high-tech soap opera than an action-adventure show.

I was glad it came to an end, and I'm hoping the "reboot" will give the show the proverbial shot in the arm it needs to end its run on a positive note.

161 - 180 of 200 Posts