Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

101 - 120 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out what rational motive exists for selling nuclear weapons that could obviously be used on your soil. No matter how much money involved...
I assume they will continue the theory from last season... They want their government to attack certain countries in the middle east and they need an excuse to go to war... I think it was about oil, but my memory is fuzzy
Nuje said:
Driving around LA at the best of times is gridlock. Add in a nuclear bomb going off....nobody's moving ANYWHERE on those freeways anytime soon.
Although I will not disagree that the timing is... optimistic, I found it pretty easy to get around LA at "good" times. Now in rush hour - that's a completely different story :)

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
JonO said:
Although I will not disagree that the timing is... optimistic, I found it pretty easy to get around LA at "good" times. Now in rush hour - that's a completely different story
Good point. I remember driving the 405 at 4am on a Saturday morning, and it wasn't too bad at all; of course four hours later, it was pretty much a parking lot heading North (and that was WITHOUT a nuke going off earlier that morning).

All of that said, however, once you make the decision to suspend disbelief, it's a thrill ride. (How it wins Best Drama Emmy, though, escapes me when you have shows like The Wire, Six Feet Under, The Sopranos, etc. up against it.....that one still baffles me!)

·
Registered
115 Posts
i still cant get over how jack's family look a bit weird, a father that is over 6 ft tall, and a brother that looks like george coztanza lol.

·
Banned
30 Posts
much better last night!

Jack punched that guy out for no reason.

I hope he hooks up with his sister in law.

My wife gave me crap last night for making a comment when she was undressing to put on that body shield.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Can now see why Donald Sutherland had a good excuse for not appearing as Jack's dad. Would be a bit odd to blow away your real father playing your tv show father......not sure that getting rid of "Babe's" father really that much better.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Wow, what a bore this season is and I think the fct noone has added anything to this thread in 3 weeks is a good indication I'm not the only one who thinks that way.

If you have watched the first 5 seasons, there is so much recycled stuff in S6 it's almost pathetic. Plus, all the silly things we had to ignore for the show to stay "cool" are becoming more and more obvious. It's really akin to having to peer around the proverbial elephant in the living room so you can watch the show.

The writers are obviously out of fresh ideas. Too bad. Thank goodness, there are some other shows on TVs that fill the void (Heroes, for one).

·
Registered
57 Posts
I never really watched the show consistently before this year.

Meanwhile, I purchase seasons 1-5 on DVD. I'm just about done season 3.

Seasons 1-3 are simply amazing. My wife and I watch 3 shows a night! (2 hours or so worth). Season 3 alone is ashtonishing! Nina Myers, Sherry Palmer, There all coming back!!!!!

Having said that, season 6 is huge let down. It is redone material. From Logan coming back to Chloe being annoying to Mylo and now Silver Spoon!

We decided last night it's best to wait until the series is over and purchase the DVD. We are getting mixed up between seasons so I saw my last epidsode last night.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #109 (Edited)
When the season started I was intrigued by the realization that this plot was more of a continuation of Season 5 in a way that none of the others had been. Each season we have had unanswered questions (just who was that guy on the yacht that Mandy called after shaking hands with Palmer at the close of Season 2?) and last was no exception. The people behind the assassination pulling Logan's strings (now we know to be Jack's brother and father and lord-knows-who-else) being among the bigger ones. I have to agree though that, to-date, this season hasn't been as thrilling as the others.

And how many times in one season can we be told how Jack's life is so expendable? First acquiring him from the Chinese only to turn him over to Fayed to be killed. Last night with Little Ricky and the Russians. Sadly, it does feel like a record skipping... sorry to those of you too young to get that reference. Records were those things we old folks listened to pre-CDs and audio cassettes. Go to a museum and check them out! ;)

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
You'd think Rick Schroder would have a new haircut after all these years since Silver Spoons. He's still that little kid.

I agree - this season is starting to fade on me, especially with all the appearances of other known actors and what not. But, I'll keep watching and hoping. I wouldn't mind seeing more of those nukes go off... heh heh.

GO JACK GO!!!

·
Registered
484 Posts
I haven't watched a full season since season 1, so it's all new to me. I'm at least interested enough to keep watching.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think this season is good, but it's not as great as the first 5 seasons. It's still an enjoyable show, but they need a new formula at this point. Too many cliché and it's always the same thing, either a biothreat or a nuclear threat in LA. Move to another city and we have a whole new show.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I don't know if any of you have seen "The Siege", a movie which pre-dates Sept. 11 and in hind sight is very telling. It starred Denzel Washington and Bruce Willis. The movie is gripping, but the threat is not necessarily of gigantic proportions.

I think what makes the show unrealistic IS the size of the threats. How many "nucular" (in Jack's words) devices can be detonated on US soil in 6 seasons, spanning 8 to 10 years?

Having a bunch of suicide bombers targetting buses and public places all at the same time could make for a lot of action.

Another scenario that would be interesting would be an attack on the infrastructure (power grid, water distribution, stock market). Just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I think they are really focusing a bit much on the Bauer family a bit much. I've seen more of Jack's relatives in this Season then in the past 5 seasons. I do agree this whoe Rick Schroder character (Doyle) is like any of the other previous head of field OPs. Curtis always had that presence like Jack. Too bad they offed him. I think its time to crank it up a notch for the suspense. It started fine the first few hours but the last few seem to drag.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I find that most of the seasons of 24 dragged a bit in the middle. It probably has to do with the "real time" format of the show. That being said, I do find this season boring and may be my last (assuming they make another one...)

·
Registered
411 Posts
Best show on TV since it aired in it's first season, every year half way through or there abouts all the critic's come out, then change their tune at the end of the season. People said they couldn't top 4, then they did with 5. It is still the fastest and most tense show on TV in the last decade if not more, even the 2 hour episodes fly by, it's crazy.
Look at other shows, Prison Break is just brutal and watered down compare to last year, LOST has a good episode every 7 or so, and the CSI thing has been done to death 10 times over.

·
Registered
731 Posts
wow Mondays episode was horrible.

Why would they play the slow brother card? That was sooooo bad. And jack kept saying "you did good" It was painful to watch.

I'm done this year. I'll wait till the DVD comes out - I'm starting season 4 this weekend!

The first 3 were amazing (watched them recently on dvd, simply awesome)

Season 6 is just bad.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Why would they play the slow brother card? That was sooooo bad.
Uh, it wasn't the "slow brother card." The brother was obviously autistic.
The "caregiver brother" used the smarts of his autistic brother to circumvent firewalls and such.
Doesn't make it any better or worse as a story element, but autistic is definitely not the same as "slow".

Completely agreed that this season doesn't measure up to previous seasons.

101 - 120 of 200 Posts